What to do with ammo?

strimmer_13

After a bit more advice 

Dorset might not renew my licence in time for renewal (end of Jan) , all paperwork has been sent off weeks, maybe months ago. Anyway as a last precaution, I'm planning on putting my guns into storage. So onto my question, do I have to store the fac ammo, or should I leave it locked in my cabinet? As far as I can make out its an offence to hold fac ammo even if I should hopefully be given my licence for the third time. 

Or other option is go and waste it at the range? 

My carts I shall keep. 

Thanks 

I take it Dorset are dragging their feet and there is no discussion between you as to if you should should be allowed a renewal....

If so they can issue  or could/may have changed ... a temporary FAC to cover you till your new one is issued.

If it is them dragging their feet, then politely suggest to them you may have to lodge your firearms and ammunition and this will cost money which you will obviously claim back due to their slow renewal response.

21 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I take it Dorset are dragging their feet and there is no discussion between you as to if you should should be allowed a renewal....

If so they can issue  or could/may have changed ... a temporary FAC to cover you till your new one is issued.

If it is them dragging their feet, then politely suggest to them you may have to lodge your firearms and ammunition and this will cost money which you will obviously claim back due to their slow renewal response.

They've been completely useless since I moved here! Not a single response via phone, email or letter. When my address finally got changed after 3 years of trying it was through Devon firearms team, and they sorted it straight away. 

I'm not holding my breath and if I'm honest fed up of dealing with them and am seriously considering moving 2 miles so I'm into Wiltshires team. Or giving it up completely. 

Demand a S7 permit if the delay is down to them, and if it is down to them they are obliged to issue one. Admittedly it won't solve the issue of S1 ammo, but I've yet to hear of any licensing authority which hasn't found it convenient to overlook this issue. Two mates and myself ( twice in fact personally ) have had S7 permits issued but none of us has ever been told we should get rid of our S1 ammo by either method. 

Ok if your a member a BASC etc ask them to enquire I used this once a 3 days later all tickets land through my door.  

Secondly don’t demand as they have two choices they can issue a S7 temporary certificate or they can pay all storage fees including for ammo this can be expensive if you get the right quote for them.  

9/10 time either an S7 or full FAC arrives very quickly. 

Let's be practical about this. You've sent the paperwork off and they've been a bit slow in processing it. You've done nothing wrong, it's an administration issue. Be polite and just tell them that you've got the ammunition - it's not going to be worth their while to prosecute you for something that is their fault.

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 19:51, strimmer_13 said:

They've been completely useless since I moved here! Not a single response via phone, email or letter. When my address finally got changed after 3 years of trying it was through Devon firearms team, and they sorted it straight away. 

I'm not holding my breath and if I'm honest fed up of dealing with them and am seriously considering moving 2 miles so I'm into Wiltshires team. Or giving it up completely. 

Dorset, Devon and Cornwall have joined as one police force, and it has not been going well on the firearms dept. side.

13 hours ago, spandit said:

Let's be practical about this. You've sent the paperwork off and they've been a bit slow in processing it. You've done nothing wrong, it's an administration issue. Be polite and just tell them that you've got the ammunition - it's not going to be worth their while to prosecute you for something that is their fault.

agreed, be polite get what they are happy for you to do in writing and do that

On 17/12/2018 at 10:23, Diss4111 said:

The restriction for expanding ammo doesn't exist anymore

I think you may misunderstand? Don't confuse the recent ability to receive expanding missiles in the post with the requirements of a section 7. Unless it has changed loaded cartridges can not be possessed and as Flyboy says transferred to a similar licence holder where his holding is not exceeded or an RFD? It's not likely they would cover the cost?

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

Provided you sent in your renewal on time your present certificate will automatically be extended for 8 weeks without the need for a S7 so no ammo problems.

Firearms Act, section 28b added earlier this year.

This,

It's all here - https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/27/section/28B

And here - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/circular-0142018-limited-extension-of-validity-of-firearm-and-shotgun-certificates/circular-0142018-firearms-limited-extension-of-validity-of-firearm-and-shotgun-certificates

14 hours ago, old man said:

I think you may misunderstand? Don't confuse the recent ability to receive expanding missiles in the post with the requirements of a section 7. Unless it has changed loaded cartridges can not be possessed and as Flyboy says transferred to a similar licence holder where his holding is not exceeded or an RFD? It's not likely they would cover the cost?

The restriction of expanding ammo reverting to section 5 unless you have authority has been removed. It is no longer specified on a FAC. I used to have seperate allowances for expanding and match ammo. now it is all lumped together and it says on a FAC Ammunition including expanding ammunition and expanding missiles. There is no distinction between the two

13 hours ago, Newbie to this said:

This /\/\/\/\/\/\/\

The whole point of bringing this in was so they (the police/FLD) wouldn't have to waste time issuing S7 certificates so you're not going to get one of those unless they REALLY mess up and go over the 8 extra weeks they are now granted to renew your FAC.