Yorkshire Wood Pigeon Club

I have previously been trying to find out if there are any private members wood pigeon clubs in Yorkshire. Having spoken to Malc from the Scarborough Wood Pigeon Club, who was the secretary for many years, it seems he left three years ago as there was not enough input from the members. He is not sure if it is still up and running. Which got me thinking, would it be worth finding out from other PW members in the area, if this is something we could start?

I used to belong to the Brentwood Wood Pigeon Club in Essex and it gave its members guaranteed shooting around the County throughout the year for a very reasonable annual subscription, plus benefits like cheap cartridges, organised roost shoots, disposal of shot woodies and the like.  I know from my own experience, that finding perms to shoot on can be quite difficult but I now have three local farms where I can shoot. However I think it would be good if as a club we could cover a larger number of farms in Yorkshire and god knows there are plenty of them and plenty of pigeon. 

I don’t have any idea about joining fees, regulations, affiliations etc, etc but I am sure we could find out about that from BASC and other organisations. Neither am I putting myself up for any particular post nor committing all my leisure time to running it so it would have to be a collaborative effort. At this stage it’s just a thought,

So would anyone be interested in something like this in Yorkshire?

If not it’s no big problem as I have my own shooting but having been blooded in this type of club, I do know the benefits.

Whilst in theory a club seems a good idea,,in practice offering farmers money for exclusive access by a group feels to be contrary to the spirit of sport of the highest quality which pigeon shooting offers. Earn your shooting by knocking on doors and putting the time in asking, as you say,,there are plenty of farms and pigeons to be had.

You often end up with a handful of people doing all the work and running around, and another group who just turn up when the shooting is good but not when you need a hand with seeing farmers or sorting duties.

Then on-top everyone has different ideas of how it should be run and if down to club majority nothing ever gets sorted or agreed lol 

11 hours ago, Velocette said:

Whilst in theory a club seems a good idea,,in practice offering farmers money for exclusive access by a group feels to be contrary to the spirit of sport of the highest quality which pigeon shooting offers. Earn your shooting by knocking on doors and putting the time in asking, as you say,,there are plenty of farms and pigeons to be had.

I think you mis-understand. There would be no money going towards the farmer. The offer is to protect their fields.

As mentioned I already have my own perms by knocking on doors and putting the time in but thank you for the advice. I presume you would not be interested then?

9 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

You often end up with a handful of people doing all the work and running around, and another group who just turn up when the shooting is good but not when you need a hand with seeing farmers or sorting duties.

Then on-top everyone has different ideas of how it should be run and if down to club majority nothing ever gets sorted or agreed lol 

Yes, that is my biggest concern, even if the club got started. There are ways to combat that but feel your comments are very wise

13 hours ago, Adrian Armsby said:

Evening mate , I live near Malton and have several perms , that I've worked hard for , but a mate of mine said that he would be interested he only has 1 perm at the moment but he's not a pw member, 

Hi Adrian, will drop you. PM

3 hours ago, hawkfanz said:

nppc covers yorkshire and beyond and has been around a good number of years.

Yes I have belonged to NPPC previously and know the good work John does and aware of the farms he covers

21 hours ago, Gregsheffield said:

Hi. Id be interested in a yorkshire club. Im in South Yorkshire near Sheffield. I go out on my very good friends permissions whenever i can. Would like to get the opportunity to go when i can. 

Hi Greg

thanks for getting in touch. Will get back to you if we get enough interest

2 hours ago, hawkfanz said:

is this a competition between you and vulpinehunter from same area i might add to see who can get the biggest response?his ad appears in shooting for free.

No idea what you are talking about but will check it out.

2 hours ago, hawkfanz said:

is this a competition between you and vulpinehunter from same area i might add to see who can get the biggest response?his ad appears in shooting for free.

Just posted on his topic. Thanks for the heads up

• 2 weeks later...

In NI BASC run a scheme with the farmers union. If a farmer has a pest control issue they contact BASC who offer the shooting to a local BASC member. The scheme doesn’t seem to offer a lot of shooting opportunities but I’m lead to believe as usual once you get one farm word spreads and other farmers approach you direct.

Have a read about it online i think is a similar model to what your talking about albeit focusing on pigeon control. 

If you could have a committed membership base that turned up when needed and made a good impression I’m sure there would be some degree of success to it.

Good luck!

On 31/12/2018 at 16:02, Rossco89 said:

In NI BASC run a scheme with the farmers union. If a farmer has a pest control issue they contact BASC who offer the shooting to a local BASC member. The scheme doesn’t seem to offer a lot of shooting opportunities but I’m lead to believe as usual once you get one farm word spreads and other farmers approach you direct.

Have a read about it online i think is a similar model to what your talking about albeit focusing on pigeon control. 

If you could have a committed membership base that turned up when needed and made a good impression I’m sure there would be some degree of success to it.

Good luck!

Thanks Rossco, I will look into it

On 01/01/2019 at 14:31, scolopax said:

There is a well established woodpigeon club in East Yorkshire

Is there? Could you give me some details please?

Thanks

• 1 month later...
On ‎13‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 18:58, Adrian Armsby said:

Evening mate , I live near Malton and have several perms , that I've worked hard for , but a mate of mine said that he would be interested he only has 1 perm at the moment but he's not a pw member, 

Adrian, I also live in Malton and shoot in the local area, I would be interested in this idea and maybe meeting up to help each other out,

regards

stuart

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...