I'm going vegan

spandit

I bumped into an x neighbour I had not seen for 2 or 3 years. When I knew him he was fit healthy young lad about to go to uni. 

When I saw him his face was sunken,his skin yellow like jaundice and he looked positively Ill with lank hair and stick thin arms. A short while into conversation he told me he was vegan and had "never felt better". I nearly spat my beer out as I as sure he had some awful condition. 

He then tried to spout it's benefits and how I should try it.

Not for me. 

Guest topshot_2k

I find vegans overbearing and they are always trying to make you feel bad for eating meat. They all seem to look ill too.

Do they realise if nobody ate meat there would be barely any animals in the countryside? They claim its bad for the environment yet most of them stuff their faces with products containing various nut/palm oil ingredients - which if they saw the impact on the environment that producing them causes they would be pretty shocked. They also avoid clothing such as leather, wool but seem happy to buy cheap clothes from primark that are flooding synthetic fibres down the drains..

I'll stick to eating british produced meat thats been reared with decent welfare standards.

Well. Ate the "steaks" this evening and I must say, they weren't all bad. Not a lot of flavour, but did taste a bit meaty and the texture was like a decent burger. I suspect that were they served in a bun with the usual accoutrements, most people would struggle to tell the difference.

Expensive, though...

23 hours ago, MartynGT4 said:

Q. "How do you tell if someone's a Vegan?"

A. "They'll tell you!"

😂

Ha ha, too true. 

Veganism is a first world luxury and at the extreme end can be pretty militant. I'm sure I read somewhere that on a 'life for life' basis, a vegan diet kills more living things due to the killing of pests to maintain crops. But that might be wrong.  

On 13/12/2018 at 18:39, GingerCat said:

I bumped into an x neighbour I had not seen for 2 or 3 years. When I knew him he was fit healthy young lad about to go to uni. 

When I saw him his face was sunken,his skin yellow like jaundice and he looked positively Ill with lank hair and stick thin arms. A short while into conversation he told me he was vegan and had "never felt better". I nearly spat my beer out as I as sure he had some awful condition. 

He then tried to spout it's benefits and how I should try it.

Not for me. 

I know someone like that, looks like they have been 'dug up.'

Difficult to see how omnivores, in the long term can get the needed nutrition from anything other than a balanced diet?

On 13/12/2018 at 00:58, figgy said:

Our ancestors ate meat but not anything like the amount we do. They had to hunt and fish for it. Only when farming came to be did we start munching meat in quantity.

Actually our ancestors ate a lot of meat (hence paleo diet fad) whether as fish, shell fish or game as this was the only place to get extra energy to build fat up for winter to survive.once, civilisation took off (i.e. Populations out stripped local wild food supplies and resorted to farming as they had exceeded their environmental capacities ) malnutrition started to become common as the foods harvested lacked the vitamins and minerals of the wild diet but would keep population alive (hence modern breakfast cereals are all fortified). The medieval /working class population continued this way until the 20th centuary and oil replaced animal power, living on mostly subsistance cereal diets (porridge, bread, vegetales etc) but if you look at most native tribes (and the remaining few not modernised ) even as late as this centuary, their diets all had a reasonably high proportion of animal protein where their populations were not exceeding their environmental capacities.

I can't understand ( well, I probably can ) why people feel the need to inform others that they're vegan or that they're going vegan. If it's what you want to do, just do it; why do they think anyone is remotely interested? 

My OH, as a manageress in a local gallery which runs a very busy vegetarian restaurant ( the food is fabulous ) finds it amusing when people can't wait to inform her that they're vegan, and when ordering desserts she will inform them that 'that particular one isn't suitable for vegans', to which they invariably reply....'well maybe just a little piece then.' 😂

Joke: Twenty folk are standing around a bloke laying on the pavement having a suspected heart attack. Someone asks of the crowd, 'does anyone know CPR?' and a hand shoots up at the back and the owner says 'I'm a vegan'.