Puds when you were a kid. What was your favourite ?

Old Boggy

Having followed Marshman's recent thread on what species of fish and fowl etc. people prefer, got me thinking back to when I was a kid and the puddings we used to have that may no longer be popular today. I was also reminded of this when watching 'I'm a celebrity' when Harry Redknapp admitted that his favourite was jam roly poly. I had better explain that I only watched this hoping to pick up some knowledgeable snippets from Anne Hegerty and not of course anticipating seeing Fleur or Emily in the shower. If Ditchy was watching, no doubt he came over all unnecessary watching Anne floating about in that pool. She could give fat Sarah a good run for her money, I bet.

Sorry, got distracted there, back to the puddings.

I recall my dear old Mum making proper rice pudding complete with skin on top, to which was added a great big dollop of strawberry jam, tangy lemon meringue pie, spotted d-I-c-k (see what I had to do there to get the word through the filter. I bet the head of the Met, Cressida D-i-c-k doesn't have to do that on her letters), bread and butter pudding, the quick and cheap way to use up the bread that was getting past its best, Gipsy tart, believed to be a Kentish thing ( I'm prepared to stand corrected on this), Lardy cake, something my Northern mate's Mum used to make, lemon junket and probably a few more that have been forgotten. There was also blackberry and apple crumble, more enjoyable as we picked the fruit ourselves. At school we used to get a square of sponge covered in a strange pink custard. Do kids still get jelly and blancmange as standard at birthday parties ?

My favourite was always Gipsy tart. The wife doesn't do puddings so I have to make do with low fat yoghurt. I'm told it's better for me. However, the daughter sometimes makes me a special Gipsy tart knowing that I have a very sweet tooth. It seems that culinary expertise including pudding making missed out a generation in our family. I use the oft quoted reference to the wife 'At least my Mum's gravy used move about' :yahoo:.

So, come on then, which ones have I forgotten and what was your favourite ?

Special question to JDog. Which culinary delights did those 'downstairs' prepare for you for your banquets ?

OB

+2 for bacon pud.Gran used to make it and we'd have slices fried up for breakfast if there was any left.

Plus something with more E numbers and additives than you could probably get away with these days, namely Angel Delight, it came it various colours.

Edited by Mr.C

watery rice pudding with lots of skin on it with jam of some sort..........

and PROPER black pudding with big gobbits of white fat in it and crumberly and you can rekonise the bits of barley in it with a couple of fresh barn eggs.................sadly cant eat that now cause of the gluten thing........

Any of the suet steamed puds, both sweet and savoury. Bread and butter pudding, bread pudding and lardy cakes. Good old rice pudding with nutmeg and skin on top.  

At school, white bread jam sandwiches which were cut into 2 triangles, dipped in batter and then deep fried, served with vanilla custard. Roly poly pudding of course.  yummy.

Mum used to make the "Green`s" packets of lemon pie filling, and put extra lemon juice in.

My dear old Granddad was a "Master Baker" (No jokes please) and on a Saturday morning, after his time at the bakery ovens was done, he would come home and make coconut pyramids both pink and white, Viennese shells and Belgian buns for tea. He used to bring in the freshly baked loaves and would butter the loaf, held under his arm and then proceed to cut off a slice so thin you could almost see through it.

The dog would go ape until he had taken his boots off for her to lick the soles and heels so she could get at the flour sugar and spice mixture that would be caught in the treads.

Very happy days.

Edited by Flyboy1950
Added to.

Loved the sponge pudding from school with pink custard.

When I was in primary school as a nipper I got caught licking the bowl. They stood me up on the long bench in the dining room and put pepper in the bowl and made me lick it as a example. When I got home I told me mum and being the fiery 5 foot Glaswegian that she was she was straight down the school. My fathers reply was something like lesson learnt son.

Pepper on a plate was nothing compared to that bloomin cane though, Ouch!

atb

7diaw

My mother's bread and butter pudding.

Home-made bread, thickly spread with butter and Oxford marmalade, sprinkled with mixed fruit and almost covered with egg and cream custard and sprinkled with nutmeg, so that when baked the exposed bits of bread were crisp and browned.

or a baked apple, filled with said Oxford marmalade and served with vanilla ice-cream

10 hours ago, figgy said:

I love all the traditional desert puddings with a good custard.

As I've gotten older I love a Rhubarb crumble or gooseberry fool. Sweet but a little tart to clean your pallet.

love crumble and custard...but alas not anymore..............so it is just tinned rubarb and ice cream now...

I still make proper rice pudding in the oven with skin on top. It is ridiculously easy, and the family love it.

25g butter

50g rice

25g Demerara sugar

1 pint full fat milk

vanilla extract and spices (cardamom and mace are favourites, but a good sweet mixed spice is a great start)

In the oven at 120 degrees for two hours.

LS

• 3 weeks later...

Any steamed pud with custard, not the ready made stuff that you get today in cartons but the powdered version mixed with milk - it used to have more taste to it.

From school dinners time it would have to be the chocolate shortbread with green mint custard