Firing Cartridges Shorter Than Chamber

Hi All,

Just wondered on peoples thoughts; if you fire a 21/2 inch cartridge from a gun with a 3 inch chamber will the performance be affected or does it all happen too quickly at that stage?

I have a mixture of guns with chambers from 21/2 to 3 inches so just tend to stick to 21/2 inch 30g's for safety.  Would there be any noticeable benefit from using cartridges that match the chambers?

Many thanks,

Jim

It kinda disappears into irrelevance, as whatever the cartridge length the skirt of the wad has to expand to the size of the chamber before being funnelled into the forcing cone which sizes the whole load (pellets and wad) to the size of the bore.

So think about the wad sat in the case and then the burn of the powder starts the push. It then pushes the crimp open and starts its journey, at the end of the case the skirt of the wad expands passed the  diameter of the now open case and up to the chamber wall. Then it reduces as it travels along the forcing cone until it is the Size of the bore and then a perfect seal until it meets the choke. 

23 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Odds are that you won't, but the thread mentioned above details what can - not necessarily will - happen with fibre and especially if the barrels are back-bored.

I suppose it's quite possible there would be a teeny tiny drop in performance when compared to a plastic wad or non back bored barrel however will you notice it ? The back boring isint excatly adding much to the diameter of the barrell and the fibre wad is under tremendous pressue causing it to expand and fill the void before getting shunted up the barrell in milliseconds.

13 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

I suppose it's quite possible there would be a teeny tiny drop in performance when compared to a plastic wad or non back bored barrel however will you notice it ? The back boring isint excatly adding much to the diameter of the barrell and the fibre wad is under tremendous pressue causing it to expand and fill the void before getting shunted up the barrell in milliseconds.

I've got a distinct feeling that you could be very much surprised I'm afraid, especially if the back-bore was a la Maxus at 0.742".

Edited by wymberley

Never noticed a difference with 2.5"/2.75" in a 3" chamber, there use to be a lot of discussion about this in the 70's I had forgotten all about it. Next summer may pattern my 2.5" fibre reloads in a 3" gun, just to see if there is a noticeable effect, I suspect not.

Guest cookoff013
On 14/12/2018 at 13:35, figgy said:

Must be otherwise all guns would have 4" chambers so you could use what cartridge length you like.

I had a fiesta with a speedo that had 140mph, so clearly it could!

Cookoff013 

Spot on.

On 15/12/2018 at 15:55, MAB1954 said:

Never noticed a difference with 2.5"/2.75" in a 3" chamber, there use to be a lot of discussion about this in the 70's I had forgotten all about it. Next summer may pattern my 2.5" fibre reloads in a 3" gun, just to see if there is a noticeable effect, I suspect not.

If your only looking at a 1/4" or so 23/4" in a 3" chamber you won't notice any difference.

I think you may notice a loss of speed with 2" long carts shot through a 31/2" chamber. If there was no difference as I wrote why don't manufacturers make all guns with 4" chambers.

1 hour ago, figgy said:

Cookoff013 

Spot on.

If your only looking at a 1/4" or so 23/4" in a 3" chamber you won't notice any difference.

I think you may notice a loss of speed with 2" long carts shot through a 31/2" chamber. If there was no difference as I wrote why don't manufacturers make all guns with 4" chambers.

Because you're going to need 5" for 90 yards. :whistling:

Edited by wymberley