Stove fan

novice cushie shooter

On ‎13‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 20:58, figgy said:

You could put a desk fan on low blowing air over the stove to move warm air around.

23 hours ago, billytheghillie said:

that costs money to run it, where as a dedicated stove fan works for free.

A mains-powered 9” desk fan with 20W motor can be bought for under £15, and if you ran it for 1000 hours/year, that would add only about £2.60/year to your electricity bill.   I wonder whether it might be better value for money than one of those stove fans.

Do any of the stove fan suppliers quote measured air flow figures?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 14/12/2018 at 21:12, McSpredder said:

A mains-powered 9” desk fan with 20W motor can be bought for under £15, and if you ran it for 1000 hours/year, that would add only about £2.60/year to your electricity bill.   I wonder whether it might be better value for money than one of those stove fans.

This ^ ...... plus it is also useful in the summer.  Truth is that stove fans cost a lot more than they save in electricity, but I agree they are a nice idea in theory.

Mind you - I always fancied a Stirling engine powered fan (interesting engineering), but they are expensive.  Since my stove is gas anyway, it doesn't get hot enough usually, and just as cheap to run the heating for the rest of the house.

On 13/12/2018 at 16:59, Walker570 said:

I have two Clearviews...best money ever spent.... I have thought about the fan idea as our old farmhouse is almost all open plan, so interested to hear what users have to say also.  A limitless supply of almost free wood also helps with house warming costs and water heating.

I have a clearview , brilliant ! and with a fan on its even better . Our barn is open plan and it’s amazing how a small fan seems to push the heat around , so much so we close the bedroom doors so they don’t get to warm .. the underfloor heating that was installed has never ever been turned on ...

1 hour ago, moose man said:

I have a clearview , brilliant ! and with a fan on its even better . Our barn is open plan and it’s amazing how a small fan seems to push the heat around , so much so we close the bedroom doors so they don’t get to warm .. the underfloor heating that was installed has never ever been turned on ...

Technically, in these conditions you may be better with a large ceiling fan (about 50/60 watts) on slow speed to move the air down and around. This would also be of use during warm weather at high speed

1 hour ago, moose man said:

Might just try one then moose.  That top is 1/4 plate and gets so hot you cannot put your hand on it, brilliant for keeping food warm and obviously spreads the heat. As a user of one of these fans would the heat from that make the fan work. The space between the top of the Clearview and the top plate is only about 6 inches and we can actually cook in there.

004.jpg

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Might just try one then moose.  That top is 1/4 plate and gets so hot you cannot put your hand on it, brilliant for keeping food warm and obviously spreads the heat. As a user of one of these fans would the heat from that make the fan work. The space between the top of the Clearview and the top plate is only about 6 inches and we can actually cook in there.

004.jpg

Ours sits directly on the top plate of the stove and the heat from the fire drives it .The fan is about 9inches high  ..be worth a look to see if you can find a shorter one ..cost wise it was about £20 if I remember right ..

6E5D44EF-A696-4656-94A4-F998A1B5A796.jpeg.bdf8c99caaeef6eb13934e640d2f2913.jpeg

3 hours ago, Walker570 said:

004.jpg

You would get loads more heat out of your stove if it was about a foot forward of were it is now , if you were  able to move it .

jp appreciate your input, but that top plate is 1/4 mild steel as used for agri trailer bodies in fact the chap that owned such a company had a couple of his lads fettle it up for me and I welded the weathervane roe on the top edge.  It gets so hot you dare not put your bare hand on it, believe me when that Clearview is in full flow our 16ft square kitchen gets very warm. 

Tonight I have that lit and also the smaller model lit in the lounge and have had to turn off the central heating.  I was just interested in the fan system because it may work on the smaller stove if we open both doors as that leads to the hall lounge and open staircase, so would hopefully negate the need for burning oil.   I have a permanent supply of wood, free, five years supply stacked at present.

This thread interests me as I have a Morso Squirrel in our small lounge and it would be good to extend any heat further into other parts of the house. I have seen adverts for stove fans by Von Haus. Has anyone had any experience of these please.

Many thanks,

OB

Edited by Old Boggy

3 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

This thread interests me as I have a Morso Squirrel in our small lounge and it would be good to extend any heat further into other parts of the house. I have seen adverts for stove fans by Von Haus. Has anyone had any experience of these please.

Many thanks,

OB

I have a £20 one en route from eBay. We have a slim Pevex cube stove that sits in a fire place, I’ll update here shortly, hopefully. 

20 hours ago, Walker570 said:

jp appreciate your input, but that top plate is 1/4 mild steel as used for agri trailer bodies in fact the chap that owned such a company had a couple of his lads fettle it up for me and I welded the weathervane roe on the top edge.  It gets so hot you dare not put your bare hand on it, believe me when that Clearview is in full flow our 16ft square kitchen gets very warm. 

Tonight I have that lit and also the smaller model lit in the lounge and have had to turn off the central heating.  I was just interested in the fan system because it may work on the smaller stove if we open both doors as that leads to the hall lounge and open staircase, so would hopefully negate the need for burning oil.   I have a permanent supply of wood, free, five years supply stacked at present.

No chance of the postcode of your log stack ...😉

10 hours ago, bornfree said:

I've got an Aldi one had it about 2 years works fine.IMG_20181218_212958.jpg.3c671258dc74199af9ffbdf499574bb4.jpgin

I saw them in Aldi's a couple of months ago and should have bought one then. Tried Aldi on line and it states that the product is no longer available.

OB

after reading all the posts in this section I thought hey I really need a couple of these as we have a jotul woodburner in the living room and a tiger multifuel in the kitchen.

I live in a bungalow with a fairly large living room and large kitchen, we only have 4 radiators in the whole house as we use the stoves more for heating than the radiators,,, but on cold windy days ( I live on beach exposed to whatever comes off the irish sea) the house gets rather chilly,, couldn't ever get the temp over 17c even with the stoves on,,, so I invested in two valliant stove fans and what a difference they have made living room temp is now up 3 to 4 degrees over the average of 17c (cozy) and the kitchen has reached tropical temperature's... which it had never reached before around a increase off 5 to 7 degrees over the average..... the whole house seems much warmer since installing one fan on each stove... the boiler isn't now working flat out just to reach the 17c temp..................... cant recommend them enough in my case as they really have made a difference to the whole house, as for cost I am not bothered but I reckon as the boiler isn't working overtime anymore I might eventually make a saving not just on gas for the boiler but fuel for the stoves   

On 19/12/2018 at 10:35, fandango said:

after reading all the posts in this section I thought hey I really need a couple of these as we have a jotul woodburner in the living room and a tiger multifuel in the kitchen.

I live in a bungalow with a fairly large living room and large kitchen, we only have 4 radiators in the whole house as we use the stoves more for heating than the radiators,,, but on cold windy days ( I live on beach exposed to whatever comes off the irish sea) the house gets rather chilly,, couldn't ever get the temp over 17c even with the stoves on,,, so I invested in two valliant stove fans and what a difference they have made living room temp is now up 3 to 4 degrees over the average of 17c (cozy) and the kitchen has reached tropical temperature's... which it had never reached before around a increase off 5 to 7 degrees over the average..... the whole house seems much warmer since installing one fan on each stove... the boiler isn't now working flat out just to reach the 17c temp..................... cant recommend them enough in my case as they really have made a difference to the whole house, as for cost I am not bothered but I reckon as the boiler isn't working overtime anymore I might eventually make a saving not just on gas for the boiler but fuel for the stoves   

The location of your property sounds delightful. 

6 hours ago, harrycatcat1 said:

The location of your property sounds delightful. 

it is harrycatcat1, got to take the rough with the smooth though,, high tides and a SW wind can play havoc with road, but on the whole its fantastic something to see and do every day,,, can go fishing and when my teas ready our lass just gives me a shout, the wild life is great.... seals dolphins porpoise otters and all the shore birds and migrants that pass through at certain times of the year...….. always something interesting washed up after a storm..... yep its delightful 

17 minutes ago, fandango said:

it is harrycatcat1, got to take the rough with the smooth though,, high tides and a SW wind can play havoc with road, but on the whole its fantastic something to see and do every day,,, can go fishing and when my teas ready our lass just gives me a shout, the wild life is great.... seals dolphins porpoise otters and all the shore birds and migrants that pass through at certain times of the year...….. always something interesting washed up after a storm..... yep its delightful 

Ah go on then keep rubbing it in lol 

I suppose there are down sides wherever you live. It still sounds nice though 

• 1 month later...

This thread has reminded me of when I lived on a boat many years ago. I had a tiny version of a pukka range stove with firebox and oven with holes in the top for cooking.

When Parkinson Cowan used to make cookers with eye level grills they also made a rotisserie as an optional extra. You took out the grill tray and replaced it with the rotisserie. It was self contained with a drip tray underneath and a small motor that fixed on the side.

Well I fettled one of these to stand in front of the firebox on the range and my mouth is drooling now when I think of the chicken that came off it. Yum yum!