Stove fan

novice cushie shooter

On 14/12/2018 at 11:22, novice cushie shooter said:

Unfortunately it seems to stay in the room. I had turned off the heating to the house and it was noticeably colder in all other rooms. 

Surely that is normal? The main unit being in one room gives off the heat! By the time the air circulates to other rooms it has already cooled! Furthest rooms will be worse, but your room with the burner will always be the hottest!! I plan on one of these log burners when I can get some savings squirrelled away, and plan on a fake fireplace to sit it in, an extractor type fan built into the breast of the fireplace, and ducting to other rooms, effectively a warm air blown heating system of sorts with a very low power fan fed from the solar array on the roof. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 22 January 2019 at 11:20, novice cushie shooter said:

Heads up aldi stove fans are in stock again. In edinburgh anyway

Thanks, I believe that my local Aldi have them in stock from today, so will bite the bullet and get one.

However, I did borrow one (not sure what make) from a pal recently to try out and couldn't notice any difference whatsoever. Perhaps it's the type that is important although the one I borrowed cost about £80. I couldn't justify spending that much, but for £20, it's worth a try.

OB

8 hours ago, Lord Geordie said:

Surely that is normal? The main unit being in one room gives off the heat! By the time the air circulates to other rooms it has already cooled! Furthest rooms will be worse, but your room with the burner will always be the hottest!! I plan on one of these log burners when I can get some savings squirrelled away, and plan on a fake fireplace to sit it in, an extractor type fan built into the breast of the fireplace, and ducting to other rooms, effectively a warm air blown heating system of sorts with a very low power fan fed from the solar array on the roof. 

Think you need to get advice on that as it may not conform to building regs due to the co risk.

On ‎13‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 18:25, novice cushie shooter said:

Afternoon evreyone, 

Recently had my contura fitted and love it so far, would like to heat other rooms as it seems trapped in the living room. Does anyone use a stove fan to move the air around their house? 

IMG_20181213_140129.jpg

I am obviously a bit late in replying to this! However I have the exact same stove as this, they are excellent! I bought a Valiant fan and it sits permanently on top of the stove, does it help? possibly, but not noticeably if I am being honest. I do like the technology behind them though so leave it in place :-) You are probably noticing the other rooms feeling cold because your main room with the stove is really hot :-) My wife was complaining about our living room being cool despite the stove being on, I checked the temp and it was 27oC in our livingroom!!!! She's a cauld lass!!!! 

As has been previously said a proper desk top fan would work better but there will be a marginal cost involved and you will have the noise with the fan running all the time.

12 minutes ago, m3vert said:

I am obviously a bit late in replying to this! However I have the exact same stove as this, they are excellent! I bought a Valiant fan and it sits permanently on top of the stove, does it help? possibly, but not noticeably if I am being honest. I do like the technology behind them though so leave it in place 🙂 You are probably noticing the other rooms feeling cold because your main room with the stove is really hot 🙂 My wife was complaining about our living room being cool despite the stove being on, I checked the temp and it was 27oC in our livingroom!!!! She's a cauld lass!!!! 

As has been previously said a proper desk top fan would work better but there will be a marginal cost involved and you will have the noise with the fan running all the time.

To be honest i think the stove fan has circulated the hot air out the room and upstairs definitely feels warmer. My mrs is a cauld tattie too. Normally have it sitting 21c.

It makes very little noise too. 

LG yeah but i did expect the cool air to flow a bit more. Not a huge problem with the having the fan.