Sloe gin

strimmer_13

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 14/12/2018 at 16:55, JDog said:

Bullace are similar to Damsons but contrary to what some people think they are not the same. They do belong to the same family of Prunus and somewhere along the line one or both of them could well have been the origin of domesticated plums as we know them.

Just logged on as I have been away.

Many thanks for the reply JD, I always wondered the difference?.

I recall someone coming into my local with something possibly similar a few years back and the conversation went around what they were, someone said Bullace, another Greengage or a immature Damson, I was none the wiser. I know the difference between Damsons and Sloes but not really any others.

atb

7diaw

5 hours ago, strimmer_13 said:

I'm currently sulking in the garage, wishing I'd brought a cup of tea out and my fags. 😤 

Good grief! Haven't you got her trained?

A cup of tea is the least that she could do for dispensing your sloe gin 

On 17/12/2018 at 16:09, Scully said:

Just decanted these two today. I filled them over four years ago and I thought they were sloe gin, but after decanting one those sloes turned out to be damsons! It transpires they're both damson brandy. I ate quite a few and they're very moreish, so no more driving for me today! 

IMG-3228.jpg

I thought you were using the one on the right as a vase. No wonder the flowers are so healthy! 😂

1 minute ago, moondoggy said:

I thought you were using the one on the right as a vase. No wonder the flowers are so healthy! 😂

😀 Blooming', positively blooming'! Earlier tonight the OH made a cake containing some of the damsons....absolutley lish! We have stored the rest in kilner jars and have all sorts planned for them. 

On ‎17‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 16:09, Scully said:

Just decanted these two today. I filled them over four years ago and I thought they were sloe gin, but after decanting one those sloes turned out to be damsons! It transpires they're both damson brandy. I ate quite a few and they're very moreish, so no more driving for me today! 

IMG-3228.jpg

I would like to live closer to you Scully so that we may swap and imbibe our produce together. Yours looks very alcoholic.

9 minutes ago, Scully said:

😀 Blooming', positively blooming'! Earlier tonight the OH made a cake containing some of the damsons....absolutley lish! We have stored the rest in kilner jars and have all sorts planned for them. 

Dip them in melted chocolate, some people do that with sloes when they have drunk the gin.

1 minute ago, JDog said:

I would like to live closer to you Scully so that we may swap and imbibe our produce together. Yours looks very alcoholic.

That would be grand JDog! Must admit it doesn't catch the throat as I thought it might, and the glow as it goes down and spreads is very pleasant indeed. 😋 Ensured I filled hip flask first as my OH has a habit of giving it away, but with eight 330ml bottles filled from the first demijohn I think I can relax a little. 

Like your good lady, my OH thins it with tonic, but also says it is superb with Prosecco! 

Just now, moondoggy said:

Dip them in melted chocolate, some people do that with sloes when they have drunk the gin.

We had considered that, and as long as we used cocktail sticks ( They must be four years old at least and therefore don't stand up to too much handling ) I think we could get away with it. Thanks for the advice. 👍

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, panoma1 said:

Not if you don't like brandy! Lol!

Haha

Be surprised the number of people have tried my damson brandy, liked it a lot then say they don't really like brandy..👍

Doesn't matter, mind - If it's a liquid you can put fruit in it... never been a vodka drinker, it's tasteless to me so I don't see the point. I prefer rum, brandy, whisky and as I get older I'm appreciating gin more.

Bramble rum, Damson brandy and Plum whisky is what I tend to make.

18 minutes ago, Harry Callahan said:

Haha

Be surprised the number of people have tried my damson brandy, liked it a lot then say they don't really like brandy..👍

Doesn't matter, mind - If it's a liquid you can put fruit in it... never been a vodka drinker, it's tasteless to me so I don't see the point. I prefer rum, brandy, whisky and as I get older I'm appreciating gin more.

Bramble rum, Damson brandy and Plum whisky is what I tend to make.

Try bramble whisky==lush

Takes me back to when my Mother was alive, we always made a large damson pie with the damsons from the gin or vodka. One of these pies would then be taken to the sheltered accommodation where Mother was a resident, the Warden said "After one of your pies, the Residents are all up singing until well after midnight, they love them".    She survived until almost 106, so I reckon the pies worked  !   😂

14 minutes ago, Danger-Mouse said:

Doesn't really matter. You can't taste the brandy. I'm drinking blackberry brandy atm and it's lovely and I'm not a fan of brandy at all.

To be fair, my comment was a bit tongue in cheek! 😎 From the fruit liqueurs I have made, the taste of some spirits (example Brandy 😇) is changed for the better by the addition of the fruit and sugar......the cheaper the spirit the nicer the liqueur I find!

37 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

To be fair, my comment was a bit tongue in cheek! 😎 From the fruit liqueurs I have made, the taste of some spirits (example Brandy 😇) is changed for the better by the addition of the fruit and sugar......the cheaper the spirit the nicer the liqueur I find!

Haha, fair enough.:good:

I agree. I'm not a fan of whiskey or brandy but the addition of raspberries and blackberries (and indeed marmalade) to cheap spirits has made some lovely drinks.

just deviating for a moment.............i tasted some very nice stuff a few years ago................GREEN SLOES were collected and put into cheap whiskey...........now im not a big fan of whiskey but that tasted even nicer than sloe gin.............anyone done that ?

GREEN SLOES were collected and put into cheap whiskey...........now im not a big fan of whiskey but that tasted even nicer than sloe gin.............anyone done that ?

Yep, I made slow whisky last year but not with green sloes, that's a new one on me.

I got a single malt off the brother-in-law a few years ago one xmas but didn't like it, so I used that, tastes lush now.