Identify stock finish?

MirokuMat

Hi Chaps (and Ladies),

I've recently acquired a lovely early 1980's AYA No. 53. It's in nice condition however the finish on tbe stock feels a bit rough, almost like its got little blisters. This makes me think it's a lacquered finish however is there a way to test this for sure? 

If it is a lacquer can it be sanded smooth or is it a case of dismantling the gun and fully stripping the finish/recoating etc?

Many thanks in advance.

Mat

10 hours ago, figgy said:

Rub it back with a little stock oil and fine wire wool or wet and dry.

Then wipe clean and apply a finger tip of stock oil and rub it in getting it hot from your hand.

I agree, it looks like too much stock oil has been used at one time and allowed to dry. 

Nice gun though and well worth the effort of some TLC on that stock.

OB

Sounds like a plan, I'll try the wire wool method before a complete strip.

I'm wondering if it was originally an oiled finish and someone has used a varnish based finish like Tru-oil on top which has reacted.

I'll update with some pictures after I've had a go at it; might be a week or so as off to the gunsmith today for a check of gun-fit and necessary adjustments to be made.

All the best,

Mat

Edited by MirokuMat

Mat personally I'd paper it with fine wet and dry and a little stock oil. 

Wire wool can break off and get lodged if the surface is a bit rougher.

If your only looking to knock the raised bits down to smooth it out and leave a protective finish, what I and others have said will work.

If your looking for a perfect finish oy stripping back and starting over will do.

Flat down and re finish with oil of you choice . AyA never did finish the wood as well as it might have been and they did use a "lacquer" type of finish on the boxlocks and some sidelocks .

Trying to patch up or re-coat never works . Do not attempt to strip odd with paint stripper as this will just make a lot more work . Not too keen on the wire wool as it can lift any fill in the grain as well as leaving minute bits that dont always show up till the job is finished and you see "sparkly " bits under the oil . 

Flat down with a silicon carbide paper [180] on the main stock behind the checkering then use finer papers finishing with wet or dry 400 and linseed oil .[ Only use wet or dry round the points and stock head so as to limit risk of taking wood below the metal ]  This will act as a grain filler when dry .

Working round the stock head and forend wood is best done with the wood off .

It takes time and I always maintained that a good oil finish takes a couple of hours in preparation then 5 minutes a day till its right .

Try to keep oil out of the checkering and clean out with  small stiff bristle brush  I have used an old small bore phosphor bronze barrel brush if its really bad .

Having  done many hundreds of renovations and re finishes on guns as well as improving finishes on new guns that have left the factory lacking that final touch .I have tried all sorts of papers , oils and finishes , so I can only advise on the best procedures I have worked out over time .

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, vampire said:

Looks as though the stock may have had moisture in the wood, that's then had an oil based product applied over the damp wood ?

I think it was more a case of being a sprayed on lacquer finish which was deteriorating with age. It's been stripped back now though so a nice base to start with.

I'm going down the traditional hand rubbed oil route.

Hope your getting out with the gun while the season is still on. I leave tinkering until after the game season, all summer to finish the wood. My Sidelock is getting a refinish in the spring with a good old London hand rubbed finish. Should be fully cured and hardened off for start of next season.

7 minutes ago, figgy said:

Hope your getting out with the gun while the season is still on. I leave tinkering until after the game season, all summer to finish the wood. My Sidelock is getting a refinish in the spring with a good old London hand rubbed finish. Should be fully cured and hardened off for start of next season.

Hi Figgy, merry Christmas.

I'm only shooting clays currently (would love to try some rough shooting locally).

I'm still awaiting the oils to arrive however I plan on adding to the finish whilst cleaning the gun after a shoot as Ishoot year round.

M

Good way of doing it, just make sure the wood is clean before applying the oil each time. It soon builds up a nice finish and lusture.

I've done five or six from stripping back and ten or so just adding more oil finish. 

My guns get a little oil two or three times a year depending on amount of use.

If I know it's going to get soaked I use a nice stock wax before taking the gun out.

Edited by figgy