Rough shooting gun

Croohur

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Old Boggy said:

Side x side is the answer and Wabbitbosher is your man.

He might even have one in the perfect gauge i.e. 16 gauge.

OB

I live in Ireland, so Wabbitbosher won't be able to help unfortunately. Also 16ga are very very rare over here, not sure why. Very difficult to get 16 carts because of this. 

Semi autos dont seem the ideal gun for walked up shooting, especially in company.   Cross fences , ditches steep terrain a bit of a phaff I would have though loading and unloading at every obstacle.  S X S the way to go, sound , reliable British made non ejectors are within everyone's price range.

Blackpowder

16 minutes ago, impala59 said:

Ithaca featherlight 37, carried or slung with 2 rounds in the magazine and hammer dropped on empty chamber, as safe as any broken double, chambering a round as easy as closing a hinge gun, light, slim and perfect for rough shooting

but then I would say that I suppose!

If you can find one!

4 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

But what do you do when you miss with the first?

Actually, this is a serious issue - a none of us want to leave wounded quarry.  If you are like me (a less than perfect shot), you will have found the second barrel is needed to prevent this on occasions!

3 hours ago, impala59 said:

Ithaca featherlight 37, carried or slung with 2 rounds in the magazine and hammer dropped on empty chamber, as safe as any broken double, chambering a round as easy as closing a hinge gun, light, slim and perfect for rough shooting

but then I would say that I suppose!

Yes you would!:rolleyes:

Aya no 4 great wee gun for taking over the fields don’t like walking with semi auto as if u come over any fences etc it’s a bita nuisance to unload I use a aya no3 magnum heavy to carry but easy to break open stick couple shells in pocket when crossing hazards plus if you go for s/s u ever fancy a days driven shooting be perfect Have semi auto but class it as my hide gun good luck 👍

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

Actually, this is a serious issue - a none of us want to leave wounded quarry.  If you are like me (a less than perfect shot), you will have found the second barrel is needed to prevent this on occasions!

What about if you wound something with a double?..........a S/A?.... and after that? 😙

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Yes you would!

Plus the empties are deposited neatly at your feet, and while I recognise the suitability of a nice light weight s x s, would I use a sling with a loaded one? I think not. This is where magazine fed guns in the past were most suitable, with 3 or 4 in the magazine and an empty chamber, they are inherently safe to carry. Douglas Hurd’s restriction law (which suited the landed gentry primarily, and did nothing to prevent crime et al) simply made pumps and autos slightly less useful in the field ( unless you went the S1 route) but they are still on a par at least with doubles. I do recognise the instant visual of a broken hinge gun though, but a double can still be handled unsafely. We are, when rough shooting, our own range and safety officer, or if in a group, should look to each other’s actions, behaviour and practices from a safety POV.

John raises a very valid point about wounding, imho a 2nd shot should always be available and we should always look to ourselves to act properly and humanely in all aspects of hunting 

On ‎15‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 06:06, clakk said:

Spanner /works ,got a Gunmark Kestrel 12g sbs from  the wabbitbosher off here cost a whole 30 quid and does the do .25" long .Cheap n cheerful and does the job .Workman like build and non ejector so no rooting around for your empties whats not to like 

Empties are easily ejected into the hand.

22 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

Hmm. What do you do if you miss with the first and wound with the second?

22 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

If that is the case, do you never shoot a right and left?  Never understood why it is called a left and right, as on a SxS the right barrel is the front trigger.

Edited by AYA117