Rough shooting gun

Croohur

Afternoon all,

I got my first shotgun a few months ago, a second hand Lanber in perfect condition. I am using it mainly for rough shooting around the farm, mainly pigeons and crows, with a bit of clay shooting out in the field too. I like my Lanber, the previous owner paid for an adjustable comb so after a bit of tinkering it fits well. Its a great all rounder from my limited experience.

My only complaint is it is the slightest bit too heavy at 7.2 pounds (3.25 kg) carrying around for more than a couple of hours.

I was just wondering what people use for rough shooting themselves, and what they think would be the perfect rough shooter? I read somewhere on the forum that an AyA no4 would be a great rough shooting gun. Just wanted to get some opinions!

Or is the simple answer just going to be: "Get a 20 bore you idiot!"

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, figgy said:

Semi auto with a sling for rough shooting. A good one will do all you need and need not cost a lot.

Yes, I was thinking about that. Havent handled many semi autos, mainly Hatsan/Armsan types, they all felt a bit bulky around the fore-end, couldnt get my left hand comfortable around them. Any semi autos with a slimmer profile than those Turkish semi autos??

9 minutes ago, chrisp said:

Or maybe get a sling for your lanber ?

You can get slings made from webbing that slip over the barrels and stock so no need to drill holes for swivels

Thought about this, but the farm I am on is all hedging and trees, while some spots are better than others, birds and rabbits can be anywhere, I'd rather keep it in my hands

32 minutes ago, figgy said:

Benelli as they don't have gas valves in the forend. Not cheap but a good used M2 shouldn't break the bank.

The Benelli Raffaello looks good, I am guessing thats built on the same action as the M2, just has the wooden stock and fore-end. 2.9kg adjustable cast-off (which I would need). M2 seems to be the same weight as my Lanber at 3.2kg

Edited by Croohur

38 minutes ago, Croohur said:

I read somewhere on the forum that an AyA no4 would be a great rough shooting gun. Just wanted to get some opinions!

Or an AYA No.3 being non ejector it would mean you do not have to look for your empties.

18 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Get yourself a nice cheap 12 bore SxS, light to carry and very effective when you get used to them.

:good:

Edited by AYA117

AyA No 3, No 4, or Yeoman.  Of No 3 and 4, one is an ejector, the other isn't.  Yeomans are more often non ejector, but there are some about with ejectors.

Not much difference between No 3/4 and Yeoman anyway, but Nos 3 and 4 use screws where Yeoman uses drive in pins.  All good sound guns, easily serviced/repaired.  Yeomans start life with half and full chokes, but second hand examples may have been opened out.  Not sure what Nos 3 and 4 started with.

2 hours ago, guzzicat said:

If you want light, a Browning two shot auto, a wonderful piece of gunmaking

Great call..my Browning Double-auto Twelvette weighs 6 1/2 lbs, with 25 inch bbl, perfect walk up gun, made in 1966, made for upland shoots in the States from early `50s till 1971, so reliable, NO gas op, so clean the barrel as needed, otherwise, pick up point and go bang !!! I`ve paid between £150 and £225 for mine, just check wood for cracks, and watch the excellent 2 part Youtube service video, and enjoy, then leave to your grandkids ?

3 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Get yourself a nice cheap 12 bore SxS, light to carry and very effective when you get used to them.

Even better look for a 16 gauge side by side making sure it is a true 16 gauge size action.  I'm fortunate I have a 100yr old side by side Army and Navy 16 gauge and you can carry it all day.

used to be my go to shotgun for grouse and woodcock on the steep Welsh hillsides.   Slings just get in the way AND add more weight.

Edited by Walker570

hello, 20 bore side by side 5.5llb to 6llb  12 bore side by side 6llb to 6.5llb cost of 20b cartridges against the 12b, my old lanber back in the 1980s was 7.5llb then got a winchester 101 20b that was 6llb ish,  certainly made a big difference, today you can pick up very good priced side by sides if you can shoot both ok, my thoughts would go with an O/U 20 bore very ideal as a walk about gun,  i am sure you can find a 20 side by side 20b around £250/300 or O/U up to £500 good luck  

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Spanner /works ,got a Gunmark Kestrel 12g sbs from  the wabbitbosher off here cost a whole 30 quid and does the do .25" long .Cheap n cheerful and does the job .Workman like build and non ejector so no rooting around for your empties whats not to like 

Edited by clakk