Posting pictures

Old Boggy

Not sure whether this is the right section, but being a complete technophobe, could somebody please answer the following question.

I sometimes try to post photos but am told I`m only allowed 2.93mb. I sort of understand that, and that I then have to use IMGbb or similar, which I`m sometimes successful with, other times not.

However, what I don`t understand is that the photos are now always taken on my mobile phone. Sometimes they post OK and other times I`m told about the maximum 2.93mb. Why then, using the same phone are some photos over 2.93mb and some under 2.93mb. This is the bit that I don`t understand.

Any answer gratefully received, but please put in layman`s terms for this old Luddite.

Many thanks.

OB

1 hour ago, Old Boggy said:

Not sure whether this is the right section, but being a complete technophobe, could somebody please answer the following question.

I sometimes try to post photos but am told I`m only allowed 2.93mb. I sort of understand that, and that I then have to use IMGbb or similar, which I`m sometimes successful with, other times not.

However, what I don`t understand is that the photos are now always taken on my mobile phone. Sometimes they post OK and other times I`m told about the maximum 2.93mb. Why then, using the same phone are some photos over 2.93mb and some under 2.93mb. This is the bit that I don`t understand.

Any answer gratefully received, but please put in layman`s terms for this old Luddite.

Many thanks.

OB

To be honest it makes me wonder, sometimes I can download straight from my phone but sometimes it says the pic is too large, but its the same phone?

13 hours ago, Mice! said:

It depends on what kind of thing your taking a picture of, how much detail there is in the background.

you can easily reduce the "size" of the picture by simply cropping on your phone.

WP_20181007_13_58_29_Pro.jpg.ec5e22ce6ee33317147b388cb8a238f4.jpg

2mb for some reason 

275586000_WP_20181007_13_58_29_Pro(2).jpg.081879ae6b8378abcfd6b4a6c398f897.jpg

474kb

Ah, I think that answers my query, as yesterday I took a close up with little in the background and it posted OK. Other times when I've taken a photo out in the field it hasn't. 

Thanks for that.

OB

13 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Do you download them to your computer ?

If so then the 'Pictures' programme should allow you to edit the photos, click on the photo in the thumbnails, click on edit and look for 'resize' in the menu. Then click on 'small' and that should resize the photo to an acceptable level for the forum.  Hope this helps.

Yes, I download them onto my computer. I will try what you say next time.

Many thanks.

OB

13 hours ago, harrycatcat1 said:

To be honest it makes me wonder, sometimes I can download straight from my phone but sometimes it says the pic is too large, but its the same phone?

I think that Mice has explained very well why this happens.

OB