Busy Week

pigeon controller

Following Mondays call out and report ( Crow Call Out) and ninety four corvids  I received another call on Thursday to come and shoot the pigeons. I told them that I would be there at approx 11.00am as I had to help the wife with the horse. They informed me that the rape was blue all over, as I drove down the track to the rape I passed a red car parked on the verge. I drove passed the first field and went to the second field which had the problem to find a shooter set up on the wrong edge of the field with the hard wind in his face so the passing birds had to swing in a large arc to approach his decoys. Now I would not normally set up on a field with another shooter present but I was a bit narked as I had driven over on request. So I decided to set up on the edge of the field with the wind off my back facing the other shooter. The theory being that spooked birds would come into wind and approach my set up and give me some sport. I built the hide and put out twelve fresh birds including two on the magnet and waited. I watched five birds approach the other shooter, spook on his pattern and all came to me and two did not leave. I must point out this field is approx seventy acres so we were not on top of each other, just in sight. The day went on and small groups of birds crossed the field and decoyed to me and eventually the other shooter left. I had set up at 12.00 and shot till 15.30 and picked up fiftyfour pigeons. I drove to the farm and informed the farmer of my total and mentioned the other shooter and he said that he had not seen him for years and did not know he was on the rape.

Friday saw me on the seeded field I shot on Monday, the farmer had put out some hawk kites to spook the crows from picking out the seedlings to no avail and took them off on Thursday. When I arrived there were two groups on the field of about thirty birds, the farmer pulled up and we chewed the fat and he wished me luck. Following Mondays shoot I manged to obtain a plastic crow decoy and fixed it to the top of my ten meter telescopic flag pole and then with my home made adapter fixed it to my five meter telescopic paint roller handle. As on Monday I tried to loft a real bird and this was difficult due its weight. Now the plastic crow sat at the top of the  Oak tree  next to my hide. All set up at midday and started to call, a pair of crows responded and proceeded on a slow glide across the field responding to my calls. First two decoys down and out.I belive the sentry crow brought me lots of birds and will use it again. I stopped shooting at 15.30 and picked up fortyseven corvids so it was another result.

Saturday, I had a call on Friday about some birds on the rape on one of my permissions on the edge of my range so picked up DB at 08.00 and we headed straight to it on the way we passed a strong flightline out of the city for future reference. When we arrived at the five fields of rape not a bird, we had not seen any flighting birds within ten miles of the farm so it was a waste of time. We decided to return to the field that we have shot for the past seven weeks as I had seen birds around it all week on my travels. When we arrived Bunny_Blaster was set up and as its a shared permission we went to find the local field that they move to when we are shooting it. The birds were flighting a local rape field so we went off the talk to the farmer, as we had driven through his farm looking for him on our return from first rape call. As we drove through the farm he came up behind us and gave us the go ahead. On our return the birds had left that field and flightline so we went to check out the other rape, which was covered . We only had to mention the three hundred plus birds on his field and he told us to carry on. Now with the wind and adjacent houses it was very difficult to decoy as we had to get the birds to decoy into a very tight corner of the field, it was blowing a gale and raining hard as we set up at 12.00 with the normal twelve fresh birds . We hoped that our shooting would send birds to BB but we could not hear him shoot due to the very strong wind. We shot till 15.30 and picked up fortytwo drowned birds.

100-3248.jpg

Thursday 54 Pigeons
100-3249.jpg

Friday 47 Corvids
100-3258.jpg

Saturday 42 Pigeons

In the nicest possible way , I often wonder if you are inhuman , we avoided the rain today but my god was it cold , the wind was blowing a gale at times from the east and it didn't stop , it just went straight through you .

With you setting up in the wind and the rain, all I can say is I hope you don't get any ill effects and in my eyes, that is at the top of the scale for dedication . 

41 minutes ago, JDog said:

He possibly is inhuman MM but if PC didn't go out shooting and post on PW there would be very few reports.

Good efforts PC. Beyond the call of duty. 

I know exactly what you mean about the lack of reports at this time of the year Mr JDog , as far as serious pigeon shooting goes , I think that the majority of the posters goes into hibernation till the shooting season finish or for us golden oldies the conditions are more favorable for our rapidly oncoming frail bodies .

If it hadn't been for P C report tonight I would have had to sit the final out of strictly come dancing , and for someone with two left feet that are nearly permanently in water boots it wouldn't had been a very nice prospect. :no: .

Yet another excellent report PC. You can now dry out on Sunday before starting again Monday.

We had a couple of days out this week but never really got on any. Of the few we shot they had a wide variety of feed in their crops, despite seeing more going to rape fields they don’t seem to be really ON IT yet.

1 hour ago, Clodhopper said:

Yet another excellent report PC. You can now dry out on Sunday before starting again Monday.

We had a couple of days out this week but never really got on any. Of the few we shot they had a wide variety of feed in their crops, despite seeing more going to rape fields they don’t seem to be really ON IT yet.

Dried my hat,gloves and coat in front of the open fire last night, as I've been invited out to help shoot a large block of rape. 

Thanks once again for your excellent report and photos which can only be described as the ultimate in total perseverance and dedication. As Marshman said, it also enlightens our Saturday nights in lieu of watching carp on the television. Do you ever relax on Sundays to recuperate ?

OB