Improvised hearing protection

Mr gen

So today on one of the wettest driven days I have been on in living memory I found myself having a right nightmare. The First school boy error was leaving my cartridge bag on the beaters wagon. I only realised this as it was disappearing out of the field as I neared my peg luckily an absolute gentleman next to me loaned me a box. Then begger me on the next drive after hanging the last drives birds up in the barn I get to my peg to find I had left my ear defenders behind @@#£#@££. Now I am very careful not to shoot without some kind of protection as my hearing isn’t the best to start with so checked pockets for maybe a tissue or even a soggy till receipt ...no maybe there’s something in my gun slip.....no.The birds are starting to fly now and a flash of brilliance... soggy, wet, cold kale squished and pushed in well works great maybe not as good as the Howard Leigh’s in the barn but hay ho.

I've heard of eating your greens, but that is taking it a bit far Mr Gen.  Must say, I sat in our kitchen with a fire roaring in the Clearview stove with a nice cup of coffee and watched the weather deteriorate thanking the fact that for other reasons our small shoot had been put off for a week. Indoor play all day.

Been there done that with cartridge bag and yes, I have left my CENS in the cartridge bag at the same time, but I almost always have my dear wife standing with me and she always has a supply of paper hankies tucked in various pockets, lipstick helps 'oil' them to get them in position.

21 hours ago, Mr gen said:

So today on one of the wettest driven days I have been on in living memory I found myself having a right nightmare. The First school boy error was leaving my cartridge bag on the beaters wagon. I only realised this as it was disappearing out of the field as I neared my peg luckily an absolute gentleman next to me loaned me a box. Then begger me on the next drive after hanging the last drives birds up in the barn I get to my peg to find I had left my ear defenders behind @@#£#@££. Now I am very careful not to shoot without some kind of protection as my hearing isn’t the best to start with so checked pockets for maybe a tissue or even a soggy till receipt ...no maybe there’s something in my gun slip.....no.The birds are starting to fly now and a flash of brilliance... soggy, wet, cold kale squished and pushed in well works great maybe not as good as the Howard Leigh’s in the barn but hay ho.

Do you go out shooting very often?

10 minutes ago, JDog said:

None of us reading your post understand what you mean. Please elucidate. 

Could possibly be the same reason we used Izal toilet paper when we were at school in the late fifties , looking back it felt like using wet rape leaves and left as much when you finished wiping you know what as when you started ☺️

7 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Could possibly be the same reason we used Izal toilet paper when we were at school in the late fifties , looking back it felt like using wet rape leaves and left as much when you finished wiping you know what as when you started ☺️

Too much information MM

2 hours ago, marsh man said:

3 sheets.........................in KP pack...........one to scrape......two to wipe.....3 to buff.....................

27 minutes ago, ditchman said:

3 sheets.........................in KP pack...........one to scrape......two to wipe.....3 to buff.....................

Messy ole paper ditchy boi , nowadays it would have a health warning on the box , Beware use at your own risk . it made using a Kleenex tissue feel like heaven :lol:

54 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Messy ole paper ditchy boi , nowadays it would have a health warning on the box , Beware use at your own risk . it made using a Kleenex tissue feel like heaven :lol:

it said on every sheet....."now please wash your hands"....................now we know why...........trouble was when we came across "womens toilet paper"...(tissue)..........it was very easy after using the old izal to put your finger thro'...you just had to go easy...

On 15/12/2018 at 20:41, Mr gen said:

Ensure you got it all out; you don't want any sprouting in there. 🙂

2 hours ago, JDog said:

Only the dirty boys from Norfolk.

We don't like wasting anything and I mean anything , that might be why our fields are well sought after producing some of the finest veg in the country , could be down to the deposits of organic waste left behind by some thoughtful country boys.