BSA R10 mk 2 (reliability advice)

rayo

Looking to buy my first sub 12lb pcp in .177 . I've seen a lovely r10 mk 2 on the gun rack complete with scope £550 . My original choice was going to be a AA 400/410 until I saw the BSA. So I went home and researched it but I have read there's been quite a few problems with regulators on the R10's .  Has anyone on here suffered the above mentioned problems .

The gun comes with a 3 month warranty and would ask if the regulator was covered . 

Any advice greatly appreciated folks

Im a huge bsa fan and have had and do own plenty. 

But not the r 10. Its not a bad gun at all far from it. It shares most the same good bits as bsa s other excellent pcps. 

Its just the reg thats the issue its very prone to failure .if the r10 is what you want then get it but budget for an aftermarket huma reg (easily fitted and not too expensive ) and then the r10 will be the gun it deserves to be .

And yes i bought one and returned it within 24 hrs for a refund . (Duff reg ) 

What are the symptoms of a 'duff reg'? I bought a second-hand R10 about 4 months ago and have been delighted with it - albeit it's only fired 50 pellets max while I've had it. Its held its pressure perfectly until a couple of days ago when it dropped from 200 bar to empty within 24 hours. Could this be the regulator at fault?

Why would you buy a Gun with known reliability issues? Even if it only let you down once every 5 years then **** law says that will be on a red letter day. You chose the right Gun in the first place - the S410 but I'm guessing the pretty lines of the R10 wooed you in the shop? - have a look at the ultimate sporter if you want eye candy. As for Regs, cannot help but think that they are of questionable benefit to 90% of people who use them - in normal hunting situations (and that's what all these guns discussed are primarily built for) a string of 50 consistent shots ( as per the majority of un-regged guns) is about 20 more than you will ever need.

9 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Why would you buy a Gun with known reliability issues? Even if it only let you down once every 5 years then **** law says that will be on a red letter day. You chose the right Gun in the first place - the S410 but I'm guessing the pretty lines of the R10 wooed you in the shop? - have a look at the ultimate sporter if you want eye candy. As for Regs, cannot help but think that they are of questionable benefit to 90% of people who use them - in normal hunting situations (and that's what all these guns discussed are primarily built for) a string of 50 consistent shots ( as per the majority of un-regged guns) is about 20 more than you will ever need.

Yes Bruno you probably right I was wooed by the looks ( wife will also agree on the basis of how often I change motorbikes 😀) it’s been a problem with me for years

You made a good point tho 

hello, sorry to put a spanner in the works so to speak but i rate the R10 a good air rifle, although i would still go for the MK 1,  one  not as popular as a AA S410, which i must add is about the best reliable PCP of all time if looked after and serviced every few years but that can be said for most PCPs, i must have been lucky with my MK 1 as never had any problems and so good for shot count i did not worry on power curves or regulators, this was one i should have kept:rolleyes:     fitted with the very best silencer on the free floating barrel, in 22 and shot 100s of rats, so accurate and quite, getting back to rayo and his post, £550 seems a reasonable price depending on the  quality of scope, i presume the warranty would cover parts and labour so worthy checking out, you can always have it blue printed at a later date if that is the case, KEEP IT 

1 hour ago, Jimiles said:

What are the symptoms of a 'duff reg'? I bought a second-hand R10 about 4 months ago and have been delighted with it - albeit it's only fired 50 pellets max while I've had it. Its held its pressure perfectly until a couple of days ago when it dropped from 200 bar to empty within 24 hours. Could this be the regulator at fault?

hello, did you buy private or shop ? i could be a number of things, seals, regulator, or loose pressure valve, try this first with no pellet in breech, fill up, bolt forward,  put a balloon over barrel  end, if it fills with air then internal leak, if that is ok maybe the pressure valve needs a tweak up, so empty air take out of stock tighten carefully, replace, failing that if your going to keep get it serviced,    

21 minutes ago, Jimiles said:

I bought mine privately so I've got no comebacks. I am looking at the JB blueprint which I hope will resolve this and any potential issues. I was just curious what the symptoms might be for a defective regulator.

hello, try the balloon test will give you some idea, it is more like a seal gone, JB or XTX will do a good tune,  

oldpigeonpopper - re servicing PCP's - one of my S410's is an 07 built Gun that I bought when it was 2 years old - it has had no service work done to it whatsoever and I would bet my dangly bits that, put away in a cupboard for 6 months, I could get it out and it would put 10 shots thru a 5p sized hole at 30 yards without having to do anything to it at all - she's 11 years old and still looks almost new - my other is of 2013 vintage and has required a new magazine indexing post (£12) from new - so AA's quality is obviously dropping :innocent:.

Edited by bruno22rf

On 16/12/2018 at 09:06, Jimiles said:

I owned one and they are a tricky gun to sum up. 

The fault with the regulator is pretty easy to spot. If you charge it to full charge (recommended 232bar), it could handle the pressure. You'd only get 10ft/lb ish until the pressure dropped below 200 bar, then it'd start to creep up to its working pressure - which came just before the cylinder had run out of air. mine would shoot 10's all the way down to about 110 bar, suddenly spike to 11.6 ft/lb. you'd get 20 shots or so and then the pressure would be too low and the delivered energy would drop off a cliff.

Some were fine, some weren't! But because the energy is constantly fluctuating, the gun won't be accurate, so it'll tell in the shooting if it's not right.

The problem is that damn regulator! Tuning companies usually offer ripping the thing out and replacing it with either a Tench reg or a Huub, or John Bowkett puts his own one in - interestingly the one that should have gone into the R10 in the first place! With a reg change, they're wonderful guns. They have perfect weight balance and the 200cc bottle gives loads of shots without being so weighty it's front heavy. The silencer that comes with the R10 isn't as good as the HW silencer, but after market shrouds make it nigh on silent. Tuning an R10 turns it into the gun the design promised all along!

Your problem sounds more a blown seal. That happens from time to time with any rifle. Fill it up again and then see if you can work out where it's coming from. My guess is at that rate, it's likely to be a bottle leak, so check the bottle connection or failing that, the charge point.

I still miss my Tench regged R10mk2!

Edited by chrisjpainter

Thanks for that Chris. I've not had the confidence to do anything more than screw a new mod onto my rifle yet so I'm a bit aprehensive at the prospect of taking her apart and checking seals but I guess its got to be done. Tomorrow is set to be wet & windy so I'll head out to my shed and see what I can find!

14 minutes ago, Jimiles said:

Thanks for that Chris. I've not had the confidence to do anything more than screw a new mod onto my rifle yet so I'm a bit aprehensive at the prospect of taking her apart and checking seals but I guess its got to be done. Tomorrow is set to be wet & windy so I'll head out to my shed and see what I can find!

Mercifully, BSA's are reasonably straightforward to do the basics on. With a big cup of tea, a blown up diagram and a pretty basic set of tools you can get to the bottom of most things. It only really gets tricky when you have to start playing around with hammer springs and whatnot, as that's where the anti tamper devices kick in, but seals should be fine :) 

Which part of N.Wales are you from?