how do i prepare a rabbit for the pot

moley

Hi,

Gut and skin straight away, don't hang them. chop up into main sections (legs, back, ribs) brown in seasoned flour fast and hot, throw in slow cooker with either some stock (or water and cube) or very dry cider, add some veg like carrots, parsnips and celaric or whatever you have .... add some mixed herbs if you with but depends how good your stock is. salt and pepper to taste.

A punctured gut and delay in cleaning the meat will guarantee bad flavour. The skin around the stomach is a part i always throw away.

my wife skips the browning bit....

Make sure everything is hot when you add to slowcooker..... leave for 6 to 8 hours

then enjoy!!!

PS i have had the legs and back roasted in lard quite a number of times - great taste if young rabbit but no good for the heart!

cheers

Malk

Sorry to bush whack your post but it is related and may help us both.

Is it true that any rabbits not gutted withing 2 hours of being shot should not be used for the pot.??

Well that sounds a bit specific when there are many variables..... like if it's cold then it lasts longer also if you shoot it and the stomach ruptures then the stomach juices taint the meat fairly quickly. You will have to judge and to do that ....try these..

Don't delay gutting (you may delay skinning a bit)

Is the stomach intact or has it been ruptured from the shot?

does the meat really smell fresh?

is the flesh discoloured from excessive injury (shot too close)?

If you can carry the shot rabbit home separate from other quarry they will cool faster which will help (not always easy). A bunch of rabbits carried all together in a game bag for hours will hold their body temp for much much longer.

If the meat is not perfect discard it.

As rightly stated before by another helpful member... remove the anal glands

I always joint the carcase then check each piece for smell..... we appreciate our meat very fresh that is one of the reasons I shoot.

If it helps.... when I joint it I cut the front legs off, cut at the point the ribs meet the stomach..... then .... cut the back legs off to leave the back section..... then separate the legs with chops of my cleaver either side of the anal area disposing of the spine/bum section ..... this helps.

The Mrs swears she can tell if one bit of tainted meat was included. I cannot understand why but if you freeze the rabbit any tainted bits get worse.... or maybe we are just fussy.

As a kid I snared alot so never had this issue I guess then I also gutted straight away as well.

I am no rabbit expert this is just from my experience :good:

Sorry to bush whack your post but it is related and may help us both.

Is it true that any rabbits not gutted withing 2 hours of being shot should not be used for the pot.??

You will find that if you do not gut your rabbits quickly that the stomach contents will start to discolour the meat. 2 hours is probably as long as I would want to leave it. rabbits are best gutted as soon as is convenient. If it takes more than 2 hours before you can gut them, just make sure everything (meat) looks ok.

Anything that looks iffy discard.

Leeboy