3D Printer Discussion..

Snoozer

Didn't want to highjack another thread so posted a new'n.

Early Crimbo present see's me owning a Anycubic i3 Mega with a UltraBase 3d printer :yahoo:

Always wanted one but never put in the effort to get one but it has arrived, Set up and printed the first sample (A Pair of Owls) within in 30 mins so I'm hooked for now...
TBH I'm finding the CAD prgrams a bit over whelming as I've never dabbled with them before, Started off with Tinkercad but found it lacking in functionality so moved onto OnShape free version which I've found to be really good especially as there's some good Youtube vids for supporting Newbies and I like the fact you can share and collaborate projects with others.
Currently runing the Black PLA spool of filament the machine came with but have some ABS on order for practise.
Any members have the same printer and can pass on any tips apart from the 15 Mods all i3 owners should get https://all3dp.com/1/anycubic-i3-mega-upgrades-mods/

My boy bought one of those abot two weeks ago - and has used it once for something to do with drum kit special effects 'pots' Its doing nothing up in his room while he works away. I'll be watching this with mild interest but mostly curiosity. :yes:

Edited by Dave-G

I know nothing about your particular machine but have been 3d printing for about a year now. All the "Prusa" style printers follow a similar format with individual variations. Your machine looks rigid and well engineered.

I have a Tevo Tarantula, it was very much a cheap Chinese kit but has exceeded all expectations, the thing runs for hours nearly every day in my dusty workshop, it's been virtually trouble free and produces very expectable prints. 

Just some of my recent prints:

Palm shelf and barrel extension/weight for a Lov 21 air pistol.

ddW7Viim.jpg?2

Shooting specs

cScVmI7m.png

Magnetic gun rack - sticks to side of cabinet or vehicle

86nxRjpm.jpg

Insert for blackpowder shooting box.

mtuzOsWm.jpg

Loading tray for 45-70

dNlWQxEm.jpg

Hopefully in a year I can produce something useable, We shall see.
Apparently my machine is another copy of the Prusa that Anycubic has upgraded from there initial offering after listening to owners woes, Specifically the Hotbed.

Frustrating for me at this point is waiting for the current print to finish so I can load up the next :shoot:

Edited by Snoozer

Theres a member on here cant think of his name noe mick something springs to mind ,anyway he made an add on a year or two back apparently better than the wardy , it was a cracking bit of kit ,there will be pics and the thread on here somewhere all be it way above my head

nice work there 1066 , i was hoping to see snoozers owls

keep posting pics up of your work , very interesting

5 minutes ago, telf said:

Theres a member on here cant think of his name noe mick something springs to mind ,anyway he made an add on a year or two back apparently better than the wardy , it was a cracking bit of kit ,there will be pics and the thread on here somewhere all be it way above my head

nice work there 1066 , i was hoping to see snoozers owls

keep posting pics up of your work , very interesting

Mick Millar I think

I'm still using my add on and still haven't seen anything (add on) that betters it for distance (although one or two can match it). 

Mostly use mine for custom reloading funnels that are a perfect match to the cartridge. 

Alan, I just used a drone camera plus radio link to mobile phone to make a target cam good to 600 yards. 

1 hour ago, mick miller said:

I'm still using my add on and still haven't seen anything (add on) that betters it for distance (although one or two can match it). 

Mostly use mine for custom reloading funnels that are a perfect match to the cartridge. 

Alan, I just used a drone camera plus radio link to mobile phone to make a target cam good to 600 yards. 

Interesting.

Wouldn't bother with ABS - I use almost exclusively PETG now. I use OpenSCAD which takes some getting used to but it's free and effortless to tweak models if they're programmed right.

Spent hours modifying a bauble that Siemens designed and released in order to fit an LED inside. Ended up using Blender which is an impenetrable piece of software.

Anyway, enjoy!

22 hours ago, mick miller said:

Excellent Mick. I've had good range in open country but always disappointed with the camera/lens set-up. Eventually found a Sony handycam in a charity shop that gives good results. It has 30x optical zoom with a good lens and AV feed so can be placed well back from the target so gives little distortion. 

It's entirely your fault I got started with 3d printing. I saw a little escutcheon that you made to fit round the display on your annealing machine and just knew I had to have a go.

Mr Spandit did a bit of CAD for me so I thought I'd better have a bash at that too.

It was very much the case of pupil becoming the master! 1066 produces some astonishing pieces.

Lots of good YouTube videos out there. Best advice I took was that 3D printing is not a universal solution. Often it is quicker, easier and more effective to use something else. Case in point, I wanted to stop a USB cable providing power so it was purely data. Was shown a printed solution but ended up using a tiny piece of insulating tape to cover a contact. Took seconds and was essentially free.

Yes, I already own a couple of his inventions, great mind.

The only thing I'll say about 3D printers is that, unless you have a creative or engineering bent, they're totally useless. I'm a member of a couple of Facebook groups and the overwhelming majority of posts appear to be ever larger benchys, yoda busts, nude busts or other items that it is easier /cheaper to simply purchase. 

Next project is building a useful vacuum table. The two machines combined open up more opportunities. 

Edited by mick miller

On 21/12/2018 at 23:14, spandit said:

Wouldn't bother with ABS - I use almost exclusively PETG now. I use OpenSCAD which takes some getting used to but it's free and effortless to tweak models if they're programmed right.

Spent hours modifying a bauble that Siemens designed and released in order to fit an LED inside. Ended up using Blender which is an impenetrable piece of software.

Anyway, enjoy!

Which brand of PETG ?