Vegetable Oil

johnnytheboy

I use rape when available for the right price. Most of the cash and carry stuff is soy with additives that are supposedly rather problematic, even then it tends to be 90p a litre around me and you do then have to tell HMRC how much you used and pay the additional 15% vat. Some people claim to run it without problems though.

Heating oil is insufficiently lubricating for most systems but is legal in my understanding if you declare it and pay the extra tax. Some engines allegedly run well on a mix of white/red and heating oil  

You can register quite easily as a disposal agent so takeaways can give you their oil but again around by me they expect you to pay them for it. 

For my mileage (12 tanks of diesel a year) I don’t tend to bother these days as I couldn’t make significant annual savings. If I was doing a job needing a commute I would look at getting something on lpg, there were some factory astras and focuses that ran on it plus various small vans. 

I had a mate who could get ibcs filled by a chap who was importing the stuff by the hundereds of tons, even then the commodity rate at present would be about 61p a litre before paying transportation from the mill, mark up etc. You would probably need to be doing a lot of miles to make a substantial saving, especially given if a private user and so inclined it may be substantially easier and cheaper to budget for the fines for being caught on red. I don’t do this due to the nature of my work but many do.

If and when I need to burn more diesel I will probably try and contact mills about filling ibcs and see what kind of price they can do.

52 minutes ago, Wb123 said:

I use rape when available for the right price. Most of the cash and carry stuff is soy with additives that are supposedly rather problematic, even then it tends to be 90p a litre around me and you do then have to tell HMRC how much you used and pay the additional 15% vat. Some people claim to run it without problems though.

Thats not the case, you can use up to 2500ltr without having to pay any tax.

53 minutes ago, Sempers said:

I ran an old range rover classic TDI with a 2.5 VM motor on it for long enough with no problems. Squirt of diesel now and again in the winter.

Good engines only thing they suffered from was the lift pump in the tank gunking up same engine in the bmw 325td e36 chassis 

10 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Somebody ripped you off for the installation that's for sure. 

never has it done  a gas kit with doughnut on the air intake with a tank in the boot was about £500 and fit myself   the sequential kit and two torpedo tanks under the sills inc machining the inlet manifold      bough a donor  300 tdi and converted to diesel  worked out better

I add 100 ml of two stroke oil to £20.00 if city diesel it cleans everything and livens the engine up way more responsive and more drivable without being on boost all the time by adding the oil less soot in the exhaust engine more responsive the guys who run on cooking oil    reckon they run a lot better than four court diesel     as those engines are known as oil burner  will run better on mineral oils as long as not a hdi type engine sometimes older design engines have less problems