PIGEON CARTRIDGE WITH LONGSHOT

Longshot powder is best for Heavy loads, 36-38g loads.  I think it is overkill for pigeons..... But I have one good load if you can live with the recoil: Cx2000 primer, cheddite once fired hulls, 2 grammes of powder , 38 grammes of leadshot 5 og 6 in a z2m21 wad. 430 ms, 850 Bar pressure. You need a shotgun proofed to magnum pressure (1050 bar service pressure )!!

J.A.

Guest cookoff013
19 minutes ago, hakapiken said:

Longshot powder is best for Heavy loads, 36-38g loads.  I think it is overkill for pigeons..... But I have one good load if you can live with the recoil: Cx2000 primer, cheddite once fired hulls, 2 grammes of powder , 38 grammes of leadshot 5 og 6 in a z2m21 wad. 430 ms, 850 Bar pressure. You need a shotgun proofed to magnum pressure (1050 bar service pressure )!!

J.A.

this is an exellent post. 

please can you tell us what gauge / calibre you are wanting to reload?

it has not been mentioned, everyone here assumes 12gauge. 

longshot and 12 ga, i probably wouldnt consider 36g it would be bigger loads.

Thank you for your answers I recharge in 12 gauge, I would like to buy windjammer wadding (blue. 
In France we have little powder Vectan A0 A1 and AS some American and Finnish powders such as vitha, we are limited. Would you have recipes with these powders in 28, 34, 36grams. Sincerely Happy Christmas.
In France we have little powder Vectan A0 A1 and AS some American and Finnish powders such as vitha, we are limited. Would you have recipes with these powders in 28, 34, 36grams. Sincerely Happy Christmas.

Sorry!! The load is 12/70 6-point crimp to 58mm total catridge length with A gaep bn2 spinner.😊

Of you take a look at the Guilandi webside or Nobel Sport webside you Will find good loads with the Vectan AS, A1and A0. With Vihtavuori powder my favourite grouse-load is N320 1,65g powder, 33g lead 6 sg22 or z2m21 wad.

J.A.

Edited by hakapiken

Guest cookoff013

Aaaaa,

bonjour! Ca va?

Just stick to european components. Cheaper.

A1 is probably the best for 32g 12/70mm.

Usually powders work well at the heavy or strong recharging.A1 is 36g lead max.

On 18/12/2018 at 20:19, hakapiken said:

Sorry!! The load is 12/70 6-point crimp to 58mm total catridge length with A gaep bn2 spinner.😊

Of you take a look at the Guilandi webside or Nobel Sport webside you Will find good loads with the Vectan AS, A1and A0. With Vihtavuori powder my favourite grouse-load is N320 1,65g powder, 33g lead 6 sg22 or z2m21 wad.

J.A.

DO NOT use the Nobel Sport recipes, they are made with commercially produced powder and cannot be relocated. I tried twice to proof their recipes for 20 bore A1 and A0 and failed by some margin ( the 27 grams with A1 touched the 1000 bar in a 70mm load). Also, Vectan powders are very different from batch to batch making it difficult to replicate precious load. When I contacted NSI they told me batches from 2016 onwards are 30% slower than previous batches and need powder adjustments to replicate same pressure/speed. 

• 7 months later...
On 18/12/2018 at 21:19, hakapiken said:

J.A.

Thank you for the vitha recipe. Forgive my delay.

albert

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/12/2018 at 13:56, hakapiken said:

J.A.

Thank you for your answer, I am very satisfied with this powder it is surprisingly effective and goes to look for game very far away.

On 18/12/2018 at 14:19, cookoff013 said:

this is an exellent post. 

please can you tell us what gauge / calibre you are wanting to reload?

it has not been mentioned, everyone here assumes 12gauge. 

longshot and 12 ga, i probably wouldnt consider 36g it would be bigger loads.

in calibre 12 in 38g, 36g, 34g, 34g, 32g this powder is just as effective whatever the weight of lead

I'm getting a bit confused (it happens a lot).  In the UK we usually use Grams for shot weights.  I gram is 1000th of a Kilo.

For Powder we usually use Grains. 1 grain is 1/ 7000th of a pound.

Or 1 gram is 15.43 grains.

It gets even more confusing when the abbreviation "g" is used for both ?

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/08/2019 at 11:04, cardigun said:

I'm getting a bit confused (it happens a lot).  In the UK we usually use Grams for shot weights.  I gram is 1000th of a Kilo.

For Powder we usually use Grains. 1 grain is 1/ 7000th of a pound.

Or 1 gram is 15.43 grains.

It gets even more confusing when the abbreviation "g" is used for both ?

In France g = gram and gr = grain 
my thanks and regards to all albert
The range between 32g of pellets and 38g with the longshot is the best can be can we go up load a little more?

7albert we use the exact same abbreviations.

g is for gram and. gr is for grain.

Albert have a look on clay game reloading, they have a webpage full of load data, you may find something suitable. Link https://www.claygame.co.uk/data-sheets-ds19  drop them a email to see which data sheets will apply for you. Also John at FES Kent load data further down page link http://www.####.co.uk/loads1.htm

If your going to push more weight you will have to drop the powder charge and sacrifice speed, pressure may still be high.  Email the two companies I've put links to and you should get the data for the weight your looking to load.

Edited by figgy

• 1 month later...

I made some great 24g 20 bore cartridges with Longshot for pigeons.   Its a great powder and gives good shot speed. 

Longshot can be used for 32g loads in 12 bore but its one expensive powder from memory.  I got wonderful patterns using Red Dot, Green Dot and AS, with Red Dot going all the way from 21g to 32g.  Red Dot would be my go to pigeon load powder.