Barrel blowups

besty57

Hi guys,

Was at my usual twice monthly clay shoot today,when a guy came into the container, he was obviously injured,  his mates were with him too, asking the guy who runs the shoot to ring for an ambulance anyway the nearest a&e is only 10 minutes away so a couple of lads took him to hospital we haven't heard how he is, but one guy saw the injury before he went to hospital and said his left index finger was in a bad way..only afterwards did we see his gun,a 20g baretta o/u,the bottom barrel had exploded just in front of the chamber causing a 2" split in it, and had blown the fore end and bottom metal to bits and the empty case was still wedged in the chamber ,no one has any idea how it happened, apart from maybe a blockage ,so could anyone she'd some light as to what,might have caused it,

Some guys took some pics of the barrel afterwards I'll see if I can get one and post it

Alan,

Edited by besty57

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, panoma1 said:

Some sort of obstruction in the barrel? Maybe firing the gun with the wad lodged in the barrel from the previous shot? Or a plug of mud in the muzzle?

Yeah that's what most were saying,wad stuck in barrel,

I'm not sure if the guy loads his own,but would it be possible to double charge a 20g shotgun cartridge,I reload for 308 &6.5.so,know its possible for metallic cartridge, 

But no I know very little of shotgun shell reloading. 

Alan

Edited by besty57

41 minutes ago, besty57 said:

Yeah that's what most were saying,wad stuck in barrel,

I'm not sure if the guy loads his own,but would it be possible to double charge a 20g shotgun cartridge,I reload for 308 &6.5.so,know its possible for metallic cartridge, 

But no I know very little of shotgun shell reloading. 

Alan

I doubt it would be possible to double charge the cartridge, assuming you used the same wad, the volume of powder/shot wouldn't fit In (allow you to close) the case.

Assuming the Beretta was proofed for 3" steel which most modern ones are!......I doubt a lead cartridge would produce enough pressure to damage the gun....

Unlikely other suggestion.....long cartridge/short chamber?

keep us informed!

Edited by panoma1

Has to be a blockage or a ludicrously pitted or damaged barrel.

Double charge would probably blow the muzzle apart at the choke.  Not likely anyway as previously mentioned.  (Would still probably be less pressure than the proof test cartridge).

All will be revealed when the gun is stripped and the cartridge removed.

Hope he's doing alright.

6 minutes ago, besty57 said:

What's left of the beretta

20181216_112713.jpg

Bloody hell!!! Hope the fella is okay, that's a mess!!!

I'm assuming he wouldn't be using steel if was at the clay ground so I'd agree a blockage is the likley suspect. 

I heard a story of a fella at one on my local shoots who ended up with mud in the end of the barrel. He had the gun broke and pointed down but at some point it must have touched the ground. The results where similar I heard.

Wish the fella a speedy recovery.

Just now, MarcMaxus said:

Bloody hell!!! Hope the fella is okay, that's a mess!!!

I'm assuming he wouldn't be using steel if was at the clay ground so I'd agree a blockage is the likley suspect. 

I heard a story of a fella at one on my local shoots who ended up with mud in the end of the barrel. He had the gun broke and pointed down but at some point it must have touched the ground. The results where similar I heard.

Wish the fella a speedy recovery.

Yeah could be mud or earth,I'm sure he was doing the 60 bird sporting, 

46 minutes ago, besty57 said:

Yeah could be mud or earth,I'm sure he was doing the 60 bird sporting, 

Blimey, looks a bit of a mess, hope the guy has not got to much damage to his hand.

Cleaning patch or wad from last fired round, being that close to the breech I don’t think it would be mud.

Makes you think. Thankfully I have an almost OCD with looking through my barrels as I reload. 

Once when using Gamebore White Gold (?) many many moons ago, one barrel sounded distinctly odd and on ejecting the cartridge  discovered a blockage which turned out to be a fibre wad. I have no idea if a fibre wad would cause such a burst, but am assuming it could. I can’t think what else it could have been so close to the breach. 

Very unfortunate. 

Nasty, I would go with a blockage of some form, near to the breech. Brings back memories of a Beretta 20 bore I saw, many years ago. That was taken straight out of it's box, brand new gun. The prospective buyer was given the gun by the sales person/Instructor, the gun was duly loaded and fired. The muzzle opened up like a peeled banana.  It seems that the barrels had plugged at the muzzle by the polystyrene used to pack the gun in. Of course it was NOT checked prior to being loaded and fired. Never did find out if the Guy bought it ................or not  ! 

Wow !

That is a mess I hope the guy is ok !!

+1 on stuck wad .   (Unless he was double gunning that day and accidentally mixed up cartridges !) 

Unless he was in a swamp up to his waist it would be nigh on impossible to jam enogh earth up the spout to make it go boom there surely !? (

This is what worries me freak accidents like this!

makes me not want to get the mises into shooting!

Edited by secret-squirrel

How come it doesn’t blast the wad out? Or polystyrene as mentioned above?

Update. just you tubed it, wouldn’t of thought it would take such a little thing like that to cause it! 

I always check, just a habit thing, glad I do! 

Edited by TK421

Grateful for the post, this is not something ive come across in my build up to getting my SGC and isn't something I would have thought to check, seasoned guns would do it out of habit, but as a newbie I would be eager to get my gun loaded for the next shot and wouldn't start off by doing this as its not been covered in anything ive watched or read, but will now be a matter of course for me to do as I take those first steps, a lesson for all of us I think, thanks for sharing, really hope the poor sod that learned the hard way is going to be alright