Barrel blowups

besty57

2 hours ago, besty57 said:

Hi ,the muzzle end was fine ,no damage at all

:good:

Blockage likely at the breech area? Not qualified to be certain, but likely not anything near the muzzle as it's odds on that there would have been a ring bulge caused by excess pressure before the wave turned about up the barrel and the area seen let go.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be interesting to know what cartridges he was using. The blockage would appear to be at the forcing cones.

If fibre I would think a combination of a damp cartridge, swollen wad and damp powder.

A reason why sometimes hearing protection can interfere with telling you what has just happened on your last shot.

I've had cases left up the barrels only noticed as I saw just the brass being ejected.

A muffled shot left with wad and a clump of unburnt powder in my barrel.

The most terrifying was a 20b cartridge (a brand I had never used) I heard fall down the barrel mid drive, trust me hearing the noise falling down the barrel was the only thing that alerted me. I have never found out where the Eley Vip steel came from yet.

Certainly though if they are factory made shells both the gun and cartridges need to go back to the manufacturer, as it could also have been a dent in the barrel.

Hope the chap recovers well.

Edited by Perazzishot

We had a load of cartridges from a supplier and had a lot that misfired with just a small bang and the wad was left in the barrel. This has happened to at least half a dozen people and all have heard the result and manage to clear the blockage. Most were on O/U so easy to clear but one was on a auto and lucky it did not feed another round in to chamber as the same could of happened.

In the last forty five years I can think of three occasions when I have had a misfire and a dull sound. On each occasion the wad was stuck in the barrel. It is an absolute must if the cartridge does not sound right to check the barrels. I have been lucky because I found the issue before I fired the next shot. One occasion was using a semi auto on the marsh and I dropped my lead weighted clearing mop down and found the plaswad half way down.

This is a wake up for us all; thanks for posting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Just wondering if it would be possible for the primer to fire and push the load/wad a few inches down the barrel - a fraction of a second later the main charge ignites and blows the barrel apart where the metal is thinner? Just wondering if such a thing could happen?

Earlier this season whilst decoying duck I experienced something similar. 

Three duck had wings curled and paddles down coming into the decoys. 

I pulled the trigger and there was a quiet bang and shot falling from the barrel and splashing the water in front of me. 

Thankfully I didn’t take a second shot as the wad was stuck in my choke!

Once I had removed the wad I inspected the action of my beretta xtrema 2, there was unburnt powder everywhere. 

Edited by WelshAndy

12 minutes ago, WelshAndy said:

Earlier this season whilst decoying duck I experienced something similar. 

Three duck had wings curled and paddles down coming into the decoys. 

I pulled the trigger and there was a quiet bang and shot falling from the barrel and splashing the water in front of me. 

Thankfully I didn’t take a second shot as the wad was stuck in my choke!

Once I had removed the wad I inspected the action of my beretta xtrema 2, there was unburnt powder everywhere. 

What cartridges were you using,

We had our summer get together clay drives and barbie last summer

A young shooter was using a friends browning  just up from me and i heard them say something about an odd sound and the friend said that he gets the odd wad sticking in the barrel

They were using eley XL 21g  Thankfully they removed it

I also have the habit of checking by barrels prior to loading  and do'nt use hearing protection when shooting as i like to hear everthing that's going on around me

I had one occasion this season where one of my RC prestige cartridges misfired and did'nt go off so was disgarded That was the first time that's happened with these

Any obstruction in a barrel will burst or bulge the barrel  ,the most common are snow and mud  also a left wad from the pervious shot  and a smaller bore cartridge  even a spiders web  has been known

Feltwad 

A burst M/L Barrel caused by a wad in the barrel 

P1010008.JPG

Edited by Feltwad

On 14/01/2019 at 06:42, bruno22rf said:

So, in theory, it's possible? Slightly damp powder - the primer has enough temperature to dry the main charge just enough to ignite? Long shot (pardon the pun) but maybe worth thinking about.

I kinda get the impression that once there is an air gap Nitro powder looses all its umph, like trying to make Nitro blanks they never go Bang. so I’m still going with a good cartridge being fired onto a blocked barrel , 

On 17/01/2019 at 13:04, matone said:

Thats the rib ,I would have thought.

Yup single barrel rib , boy that barrel looks thin 

• 2 months later...

Son came back from clay shooting today and said was a good job you told me about a wad and getting stuck in barrel. As he had one stuck today. 

He said he new the sound when he shot was not right and check is barrels to find the wad in the barrel. 

If I hadn’t read this post could have been a different story. 

I shot clays for 20 years and never had a plastic wad get stuck. Is this problem just with  fibre wads.???