Semi Auto Ejection Issues

HW95J

Was out shooting yesterday with my Webley 810 (inertia operated semi). Having previously used English Sporter 28g PW without issue, I purchased a few slabs of these in fibre. I had a few different issues with it cycling. Often it would fire and eject cartridge number 1, chamber and fire cartridge 2 but not eject that one. Other times the first case wouldn't eject enough to leave the gun so obviously it jammed.

Do fibre wad loads produce less recoil and therefore not eject as well as plastic? It's a bit strange because I've previously run 24g steel pretty reliably and as mentioned, the same cartridge in plastic.

Suggestions welcome as I now have a good few cartridges which I may need to just put through the O/U instead... 

Inertia operated semi autos lime a certain amount of recoil to operate. Most when fully ran in will operate with some lighter recoilng carts it not all will.

Try cleaning the gun and try oiling the slide rails and lightly oil the inertia spring and return spring. Hopefully it will then shoottbem ok. If it won't just use carts you know it likes or try running some heavy cartsthrougbt it to loosen it up.

Thanks everyone, will give it a good oiling before next shoot and see how that goes. I might just have to stick to heavier loads. I had a couple of 32g 5s and decided to give them a try- ran just fine. Just surprised that the same lighter load previously ran OK. 

2 hours ago, HW95J said:

Thanks everyone, will give it a good oiling before next shoot and see how that goes. I might just have to stick to heavier loads. I had a couple of 32g 5s and decided to give them a try- ran just fine. Just surprised that the same lighter load previously ran OK. 

1 hour ago, Swinton said:

It’s gas operated .i had the 820 and would only take 70mm carts .are you using 70or65 mm

If it’s gas operated then, IMHO, a good cleaning regime to remove all carbon deposits and minimal oil is what will give you reliability. I use a little 20/50 motor oil on my Remington’s and they cycle down to 21g (fibre only due to our shoot restrictions) I did have some fails with homeloads which I corrected with better quality (better sealing) gas-checks. I also marginally increased the size of the gas sealing viton ring 

Edited by impala59

Having just taken it apart, I've realised that it is gas :P 

I had expected there to be a gas tube rather than the direct ports on the barrel as is the case. I must have read something somewhere that made me think it was inertia then combined that to reach an incorrect conclusion. Looks like it could do with a clean in those ports, though they're not particularly obstructed. 

Semi autos are a learning curve, I think I prefer my O/Us - they've always gone bang without issue

12 minutes ago, HW95J said:

Having just taken it apart, I've realised that it is gas  

I had expected there to be a gas tube rather than the direct ports on the barrel as is the case. I must have read something somewhere that made me think it was inertia then combined that to reach an incorrect conclusion. Looks like it could do with a clean in those ports, though they're not particularly obstructed. 

Semi autos are a learning curve, I think I prefer my O/Us - they've always gone bang without issue

I had a drill bit welded to a T handle to clean the gas ports on our semi-auto's.

3 minutes ago, sportsbob said:

To keep a gas opp running correctly you generally need to strip and clean it after every usage.

Had been doing this- just in blissful ignorance of the one part that actually needed attention :lol: As they're hidden under the ring that goes over the magazine tube, I didn't see them or know to look for them. Might not be shooting until January but I imagine this will sort it. 

RE the O-Ring- had replaced the old one with a spare already so it's not that

Edited by HW95J

7 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I had a drill bit welded to a T handle to clean the gas ports on our semi-auto's.

Have liberated an old mascara brush from my better half and after a clean it's proving ideal with a bit of ballistol to do the job

2 minutes ago, sportsbob said:

Did you not think how does this dirty piston and mag tube keep getting so dirty?

Have used it a grand total of twice but yes I did wonder that. Didn't spend quite enough time following that thought process though

5 hours ago, impala59 said:

If it’s gas operated then, IMHO, a good cleaning regime to remove all carbon deposits and minimal oil is what will give you reliability. I use a little 20/50 motor oil on my Remington’s and they cycle down to 21g (fibre only due to our shoot restrictions) I did have some fails with homeloads which I corrected with better quality (better sealing) gas-checks. I also marginally increased the size of the gas sealing viton ring 

I use synthetic motor on on my al391 and it will cycle 21 gram when clean 👍