reloading

How much would it cost to start reloading realistically? looking at making a consistent round once i find a suutable load, and to save money long term. I would want to reload mainly my .17 Hornet and .223 

Currently paying nearly £30 for a box of .17 Hornet and that again for Hornady V-Max in .223

Thanks

Edited by squirrel shooter

10 hours ago, soulboy1957 said:

Lee do a complete kit, anniversary it think and I paid £130 for mine, just add dies and components, I started for the same reason,. 17 hornet are now costing. 35p each or £10.50 a box. 

Thanks for the reply, I will look into that. How do you rate the .17 Hornet? 

Very good, had mine over 2 years now and over 2500 rounds through it. I've got the savage B25, very accurate, my mates got the cz 527,nothing in it accuracy wise I just prefer the synthetic stock. 

Since getting the. 17 we don't use. 222/.223 much, foxes out to 150 yards easily, we haven't used anything else this year and we're on 237 foxes this year so far,furthest was ranged at 227 yards. 

Great bunny gun out to 200 yards as well, quieter than. 222/.223 which makes it much more usable with a good moderator on it. 

1 hour ago, soulboy1957 said:

Very good, had mine over 2 years now and over 2500 rounds through it. I've got the savage B25, very accurate, my mates got the cz 527,nothing in it accuracy wise I just prefer the synthetic stock. 

Since getting the. 17 we don't use. 222/.223 much, foxes out to 150 yards easily, we haven't used anything else this year and we're on 237 foxes this year so far,furthest was ranged at 227 yards. 

Great bunny gun out to 200 yards as well, quieter than. 222/.223 which makes it much more usable with a good moderator on it. 

I just bought a Savage M25, with a Riflecraft mod. Suprised at how expensive the ammunition is for it £29.75 per box I paid! Does your mate shoot homeloads as well? Great to hear that you and your mate get on well with both your Hornets 

Great gun, we both reload, started with the Lee set a few years ago, now have rcbs rock chucker, Hornady electric powder dispenser, wet stainless pin tumbler, electric case prep station and more, be warned its a hobby by itself! 

Load for 30-06,. . 243...223..17 hornet, haven't bought any factory ammo for years. 

You're paying over a pound a shot. 

Homeloads are. 35p.

Yes it is cheaper but as soulboy says it can run away buying kit, some of it you may never use.  Shop around and try and pick up a press, then source the dies. Add an electronic scale and powder trickler and apart from components and a couple of powder scoops, your almost there.  Yes, the initial outlay is a bit stiff but eventually like me, been loading all my rifle ammo for 40 odd years, then that initial outlay pales into insignificance and also allows me to load things like 22 Bench Rest and my own 257 RRI Wildcat for which I cannot purchase factory.   There is an extra kick in harvesting something with your own loads and as with my wildcat double the feeling.  

Once your up and running you will need a case cleaner but there are plenty to choose from.  Mine is donkeys ages old and purchased from Tim Hannam but still does the job.

23 minutes ago, soulboy1957 said:

Great gun, we both reload, started with the Lee set a few years ago, now have rcbs rock chucker, Hornady electric powder dispenser, wet stainless pin tumbler, electric case prep station and more, be warned its a hobby by itself! 

Load for 30-06,. . 243...223..17 hornet, haven't bought any factory ammo for years. 

You're paying over a pound a shot. 

Homeloads are. 35p.

Quite the set up you have! Would it be best for me to try and meet with someone who could show me or Just get a manual and go from there.

6 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Yes it is cheaper but as soulboy says it can run away buying kit, some of it you may never use.  Shop around and try and pick up a press, then source the dies. Add an electronic scale and powder trickler and apart from components and a couple of powder scoops, your almost there.  Yes, the initial outlay is a bit stiff but eventually like me, been loading all my rifle ammo for 40 odd years, then that initial outlay pales into insignificance and also allows me to load things like 22 Bench Rest and my own 257 RRI Wildcat for which I cannot purchase factory.   There is an extra kick in harvesting something with your own loads and as with my wildcat double the feeling.  

Once your up and running you will need a case cleaner but there are plenty to choose from.  Mine is donkeys ages old and purchased from Tim Hannam but still does the job.

I can see how reloading can be addictive! The ability to create a more accurate round for your rifle then factory ammo must be great