Eley zenith - are they as good as the hype

archi

19 hours ago, sabel25 said:

Sorry

What i meant was  what are We shooting regarding all the intereaction of all these mother companies

Do you shoot anything  as your doing all these chrono tests ( which are quite informational )

Thanks

There is a few cartridges that I really like, Rio Royal, RC ORO, Solway Magnum that I prefer and pre cartridge price hike I’d opt towards but since the cartridges went up I just shoot what I have. Even my homeloads 😬 

i think that the price hike hike has really changed the way/quantity we buy cartridges

7 hours ago, propercartridges said:

try my copper coated at 280 per 1000 in 32 gram fibre they tell me they are very good         george 07714 323 909

I’d love to but you won’t sell me them since I chronoed your cartridges and you went off on one saying I’d lost you tons of customers! Despite the fact I’ve never said anything bad about your cartridges just reported my findings to the pigeon watch gang! 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get a friend to buy them for you and chronograph the copper plated ones too. Nice to see just how carts perform in normal guns and not test barrels. As that's the real world performance were getting.

A couple of lads on a syndicate I go to shoot some of George's stone dead they perform very well through ones 3/4 choked gun, do t k is what choke the other is using. Not sure if these are copper plated though.

Edited by figgy

I've used Georges carts before and they certainly perform  Snipes

And will go and see him and try these copper ones  I would'nt care i just bought a slab of the Cheddite 32g fibre copper this morning ( not mention price in case George is watching haha ) to try as my supplier was saying that blokes were buying and using them and coming back for more so something is right about them  He went on to say that they are dropping the lylevale express brand as there is no demand for them No one is buying them and i have to admit i have'nt bought any for years also have'nt bought gamebore in the last 8-9 years but still have some 20g pure gold which i like Sad to say i do'nt buy Eley either although i have some vip 16g bought a few years back which are ok but prefer rc 16g

2 hours ago, archi said:

I’ve some of George’s copper plated enroute to try.

didnt think the zeniths were anything special, softish to shoot

So you have tried them then archi

So you think nothing of them Just an over priced hyped up gimmic but might be an ol cartridge at £300 per thou

The lads at my local supplier went out with a gun and some different cartridges to see how they patterned 30 yrds up to 50yrds and they found the hull high bird extreme patterned best at up to 50yrds not sure if they tried the copper long range

Only tried the zeniths 

they are soft shooting, seem to kill ok but wouldn’t say any better or worth £90/k more than the hi speeds I normally use from George.

havent tried George’s copper ones yet but they are a lot better priced than the eleys

13 hours ago, sabel25 said:

I've used Georges carts before and they certainly perform  Snipes

And will go and see him and try these copper ones  I would'nt care i just bought a slab of the Cheddite 32g fibre copper this morning ( not mention price in case George is watching haha ) to try as my supplier was saying that blokes were buying and using them and coming back for more so something is right about them  He went on to say that they are dropping the lylevale express brand as there is no demand for them No one is buying them and i have to admit i have'nt bought any for years also have'nt bought gamebore in the last 8-9 years but still have some 20g pure gold which i like Sad to say i do'nt buy Eley either although i have some vip 16g bought a few years back which are ok but prefer rc 16g

If that is correct, then it's a crying shame. Way back before the company changed hands I asked if they'd do a special order for just 2000 1 oz 6.5 shot Supreme Game. No problem. At the time they didn't do the Supremes in that size but they must have seen the potential as they have done ever since. A cracking cartridge with top quality shot. However, didn't buy too  many more as I then found a local source for my long term favourite make. Bought some not long back just to see in a new gun and opened a couple up. Nah!

13 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Are Perazzi shotguns back-bored?

will make soon as wanted to get the  32 gram  fibre    done   then change to 36 gram and get around a few estates before the season ends   with view of supplying next year      but am making a few in 32 gram at moment ordinary lead at 250 inc vat     cheers all happy new year   best reguards   george

2 hours ago, Perazzishot said:

George

36g 4's pure fibre in copper?

sorry quoted to mr wymberly    ment to quote to perrazishot

On 12/01/2019 at 22:01, welshwarrior said:

I now only shoot copper pheasant and partridges.  I find they kill better and having done a blind testing in confident they are better than plain lead shot.

as for Zenith I’ve not tried them as I won’t shoot eley cartridges but the shot no doubt is all from Cheddite anyway. 

How do you find the pheasant and partridges birds fly? 

Take it was a typo welshwarrior.

What were the differences, I am genuinely interested, was it tighter patterns at range?

Edited by figgy

18 hours ago, wymberley said:

Are Perazzi shotguns back-bored?

Use Miroku MK 38's 18.3 back bored, Teagued. 

18 hours ago, propercartridges said:

will make soon as wanted to get the  32 gram  fibre    done   then change to 36 gram and get around a few estates before the season ends   with view of supplying next year      but am making a few in 32 gram at moment ordinary lead at 250 inc vat     cheers all happy new year   best reguards   george

sorry quoted to mr wymberly    ment to quote to perrazishot

Cheers George. Good speaking to you yesterday mate, let me know when you have some ready and I'll to meet up somewhere!

Got a slab of Zenith 36/4 to use at Warter Priory tomorrow. I'll let you know what I think of them.

21 hours ago, Perazzishot said:

Cheers George. Good speaking to you yesterday mate, let me know when you have some ready and I'll to meet up somewhere!

Got a slab of Zenith 36/4 to use at Warter Priory tomorrow. I'll let you know what I think of them.

Should be good for the 100+ yard pheasants you'll be killing stone dead then?

On 12/01/2019 at 22:59, figgy said:

How do you find the pheasant and partridges birds fly? 

Take it was a typo welshwarrior.

What were the differences, I am genuinely interested, was it tighter patterns at range?

The pattern is more even and holds together better on the guns I’ve tested.  They seem to hit harder more consistently than normal lead cartridges 

On 13/01/2019 at 09:58, Perazzishot said:

18.3mm is .720" - a tight 12. Back-boring has to be in excess of 18.5mm or .728". A Maxus for example is .742" or 18.85mm.

Whether or not copper plating works if it gives you confidence and you like the way they shoot, all the hype don't matter if you can afford them.

What you spend on game shooting the cartridge cost isn't much compared. 

I dont mind a cheap pigeon cart if it works for me on game.

On 12/01/2019 at 22:59, figgy said:
10 minutes ago, figgy said:

Whether or not copper plating works if it gives you confidence and you like the way they shoot, all the hype don't matter if you can afford them.

What you spend on game shooting the cartridge cost isn't much compared. 

I dont mind a cheap pigeon cart if it works for me on game.

Cheddite royal drive are as good as Hellfires chrono at some speed and a lot cheaper in fact cheap than black gold and other top game loads with the advantages of copper 

There is so much hype and false information printed about cartridges .

Copper is only a cosmetic washing of standard lead, far better ,if you are looking for hard hitting, tight patterning cartridges, to look at the antimony percentage .

Without doubt Cheddite , NSI, RC & Clever , (all Italian) produce quality cartridges at competitive prices . When you have factored in transport costs from Italy it makes me realise how British manufacturers are ripping us off.

Guest cookoff013

yeah, and the fact that italy is improving there economy by exporting to us brits. 

why cant a british manufacturer make a cartridge to the same standard cheaper. 

they can. they just dont want to. the market is so good they refuse to offer decent cartridges and easy money. because theyd have a price war on there hands. 

this is an irony because the market is relatively small. 

the economics of cartridge manufacturing are crazy, partially seasonal, and under pressure from imports. the aforementioned italian shells are a prime example.

there is no easy bullet for this. 

what bugs me is, retailers saying there is no money in cartridges. or its so bad profits for every 1000 shells sold, they are loosing thousands of pounds.

the cost of steel shells increasing because the cost rise in raw lead material. oil going up, plastics cost more.

On 12/01/2019 at 22:01, welshwarrior said:

I now only shoot copper pheasant and partridges.  I find they kill better and having done a blind testing in confident they are better than plain lead shot.

as for Zenith I’ve not tried them as I won’t shoot eley cartridges but the shot no doubt is all from Cheddite anyway. 

copper coated  is available from 3  makers   of lead shot mine is tower dropped from locatelli   i think the best you can get    my carts are 32 gram copper fibre at 280 inc vat    let me know if you can get cheaper    thanks  george  07714 323 909