sgc information

ant1

22 hours ago, wymberley said:

Mole Valley perchance?

My wife works for mole valley. I quizzed her as to why and what info they take when buying cartridges. If your an account holder they take your certificate number and expiry date so they know the ticket is valid. If your not an account holder then they'll take your name and address and your certificate number and expiry for the same reason. She says the information is not held on a data base as they don't have one apparently. They do it so they can legally be sure your ticket is valid. It's the norm for me as this is where I buy cartridges and I get 10% discount putting it through her staff discount lol.

21 hours ago, mossy835 said:

no it was at country wide. now closed in taunton.

Mole valley own countrywide now as far as I know 

6 minutes ago, Jbob said:

My wife works for mole valley. I quizzed her as to why and what info they take when buying cartridges. If your an account holder they take your certificate number and expiry date so they know the ticket is valid. If your not an account holder then they'll take your name and address and your certificate number and expiry for the same reason. She says the information is not held on a data base as they don't have one apparently. They do it so they can legally be sure your ticket is valid. It's the norm for me as this is where I buy cartridges and I get 10% discount putting it through her staff discount lol.

Mole valley own countrywide now as far as I know 

Surely they can see your ticket is valid when they read the expiry date as you exolain above, without having to write it down, and a glance at the photo proves you’re the legit’ holder. It still doesn’t explain why they have to write anything down. 

4 minutes ago, Scully said:

Surely they can see your ticket is valid when they read the expiry date as you exolain above, without having to write it down, and a glance at the photo proves you’re the legit’ holder. It still doesn’t explain why they have to write anything down. 

They are covering themselves. It's so if they have problems or if asked they can prove they have checked. The information is only stored on the receipt and not on a data base. She did say a data base would be better so they wouldn't have to input the details every time.

26 minutes ago, Jbob said:

They are covering themselves. It's so if they have problems or if asked they can prove they have checked. The information is only stored on the receipt and not on a data base. She did say a data base would be better so they wouldn't have to input the details every time.

But if they’ve checked the expiry date and the photo’, I’m struggling to understand what they feel they are covering themselves from, nor what they feel they have to prove and to whom, which is any different from all the RFD’s whom have simply glanced at my SGC. 

27 minutes ago, Scully said:

But if they’ve checked the expiry date and the photo’, I’m struggling to understand what they feel they are covering themselves from, nor what they feel they have to prove and to whom, which is any different from all the RFD’s whom have simply glanced at my SGC. 

I hear what your saying but it seams to be a company policy and something I've just got used too. At least they are not storing the information on a data base though. 

The Copyright and Rights in Databases Regulations 1997

…. “database” means a collection of independent works, data or other materials which—

(a) are arranged in a systematic or methodical way, and

(b) are individually accessible by electronic or other means.

The term "database" does not imply a particular type of software, nor does it even have to involve a computer  (note the phrase "...electronic or other means").   If the OP’s certificate information was being hand written onto an old-fashioned card index, it would still be in a database.

Presumably the cartridge sellers have some means for retrieving the information at will (whether it be to satisfy a possible police enquiry or just for their own marketing/management purposes), in which case they are holding it on a database.   I would imagine this means they are obliged to comply with GDPR, but maybe somebody else can comment further.

11 hours ago, McSpredder said:

The Copyright and Rights in Databases Regulations 1997

…. “database” means a collection of independent works, data or other materials which—

(a) are arranged in a systematic or methodical way, and

(b) are individually accessible by electronic or other means.

The term "database" does not imply a particular type of software, nor does it even have to involve a computer  (note the phrase "...electronic or other means").   If the OP’s certificate information was being hand written onto an old-fashioned card index, it would still be in a database.

Presumably the cartridge sellers have some means for retrieving the information at will (whether it be to satisfy a possible police enquiry or just for their own marketing/management purposes), in which case they are holding it on a database.   I would imagine this means they are obliged to comply with GDPR, but maybe somebody else can comment further.

I have only ever referred to a database as electronic. That description is a learning day for me.

They have had to alter there procedures since GDPR, whether this includes the procedure for cartridge purchase I don't know.

I had a letter from a gunshop telling me about their change of address a while back, but I had never in my life been to their shop ...

I called them to ask where they got my details from and they were insistent that I had done business with them in the past. A check of my FAC revealed that they were the company from whom I had bought rifle ammo at the British Shooting Show (NEC). Now, I know that for rifle ammo the dealer has to take FAC details and record sales on the cert, but for them to then use this for marketing annoyed me enough that I'll not be dealing with them again despite their new shop not being too much of a stretch to get to from home. If it happened with my SGC where there is no obligation to record details, I'd be whooping their backsides with the recent Data Protection laws in short order.

Edited by Longstrider

35 minutes ago, Longstrider said:

I had a letter from a gunshop telling me about their change of address a while back, but I had never in my life been to their shop ...

I called them to ask where they got my details from and they were insistent that I had done business with them in the past. A check of my FAC revealed that they were the company from whom I had bought rifle ammo at the British Shooting Show (NEC). Now, I know that for rifle ammo the dealer has to take FAC details and record sales on the cert, but for them to then use this for marketing annoyed me enough that I'll not be dealing with them again despite their new shop not being too much of a stretch to get to from home. If it happened with my SGC where there is no obligation to record details, I'd be whooping their backsides with the recent Data Protection laws in short order.

But you can already whoop their backsides for the FAC bit, as they have breached GDPR by using your details to contact you about future sales / marketing (unless you agreed) instead of recording your details for what is necessary only.  

4 hours ago, Jbob said:

I have only ever referred to a database as electronic.

I never heard the word database before the advent of computers, but it is certainly possible to store and retrieve quite complex data without any electronics.   Half a century ago I kept information on Copeland-Chatterson edge-notched cards that could be sorted according to several  criteria at once, using nothing more than a few knitting needles.  

The word database is not listed in our old 1977 Concise Oxford Dictionary, and the 1996 edition defines it as "a structured set of data held in a computer".   However, legislators never have seen things the same way as ordinary mortals, as Dickens noted 180 years ago - "If the law supposes that," said Mr. Bumble, squeezing his hat emphatically in both hands, "the law is a *** — a idiot."

Edit:   I typed the Dickens quote verbatim, but political correctness has apparently compelled the PW forum to substitute *** in place of the old word for donkey.   What is the world coming to?

Edited by McSpredder

Once the shop has confirmed that you hold a valid licence to purchase the cartridges, they no longer have a legitimate reason to keep your data. I have provided details to one shop only - the rest merely inspect my licence. It didn't bother me, as I know the shop owner, but I suspect few know how long they are entitled to keep that information.

Look up GDPR right to be removed! I would ask them to remove details without delay, the GDPR outranks any made up company policy and recording/processing has to be based on justification of the purpose (stated) to have and process the data. You can also do a subject access request and they by law need to tell you exactly what they are recording and processing (for free). At their end they also need to have an information asset register where they log an entry describing the info they hold (the database), a data protection impact assessment details of the information datasets (the fields) and flows (how the info gets there and where it goes), should also link in to their organisational information security policy (directing on measures to be taken to keep secure).

Also I have never heard of a paper database either. GDPR / the UK data protection act 2018 covers the protection of paper records too i.e organisations have to describe how they keep the paper side secure. For example if the information is put into a database then printed as a report say with your name, address cert number it would be described in the (IAR and DPIA as above) but needs to be clear how the safe disposal of the information is dealt with again would be directed by the company security policy.

It is the ICO that govern all if this and nowdays they have some real authority seems there site is down, hope they have not been hacked!! https://ico.org.uk/

database
/ˈdeɪtəbeɪs/
noun
noun: database; plural noun: databases
  1. a structured set of data held in a computer, especially one that is accessible in various ways.
    "a database covering nine million workers"