How Hard (Or Easy) Is It To Get Permission Nowadays

marsh man

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎18‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 20:05, markm said:

Anyone asking for free shooting on the internet is simply lazy or tight.

Shooting is relatively easy to get all year round. Join a syndicate (small to large) and many will allow shooting all year round. 

Or wet behind the ears like I was 15 years ago when  I joined the forum, but lucky for me I got a response and have been happily shooting away since.

But I would say the best way to get land is offer help beating on a local shoot or drive round looking for crop damage and offer to shoot that field as a one off and build the foundations from there..... 

i do beat on a syndicate shoot but it is 20 miles away in Pershaw. I am looking for land near Bromsgrove. i am willing to trade as i am a skilled welder fabricator, so if any farmers need some welding done, i can do it. so:-

im not afraid of knocking on doors  

and not afraid of putting in some work

i am struggling with finding out who owns the land. then i can go and knock on there door 

4 hours ago, dead eye alan said:

Never bothered with formal contracts just word of mouth.

I would imagine that is the same for most of the members , although two farms I used to go on sent me a letter each year thanking me for my services and a map of where the Peas were going in as each year they contracted other farmers land where I could go on and that was the prof if anyone ever asked.

As TIGHTCHOKE said in one of his posts you can sometimes strike it lucky , two instances spring to mind , once I was trying to find a field of Peas that was on one of the above letters , this was new to me and in a fairly remote place , when you want to find someone to ask there is never no one about which was the case on this particular day , going down the lane I saw a tractor working on the other side of the field so I took my map and wandered over to have a yarn , I walked over to where he had to turn round and when he stopped I asked him if he knew where this field was , after he told me the directions he then asked me why I needed to know , I told him I was asked by by Mr so and so to control the pigeons , he then said he had a couple of fields of peas that I could also keep an eye on , and as it turned out they produced a lot of good shooting.

This next bit of luck happened with a good friend of mine and not me , he went to knock on a door and while talking to the farmer his wife called him to say all the lights have just gone off and the cooker is off , with him being an electritian he said if he wanted he would have a look , after checking the fuses and testing the bits and pieces he soon sorted it all out and got the power back on , needless to say he got the go ahead.

3 hours ago, marcus almond said:

i do beat on a syndicate shoot but it is 20 miles away in Pershaw. I am looking for land near Bromsgrove. i am willing to trade as i am a skilled welder fabricator, so if any farmers need some welding done, i can do it. so:-

im not afraid of knocking on doors  

and not afraid of putting in some work

i am struggling with finding out who owns the land. then i can go and knock on there door 

Just start knocking on doors if it is the wrong one the resident will probably know where the Farmer lives!

5 hours ago, marcus almond said:

advice needed, i have no issues with knocking on doors to find my first permission. I live in Worcestershire and I see fields I would like to shoot, but i don't know who owns it.

how do i find out ho owns land ?

Just ask a few locals near the field/s, as TC said, someone will know who they belong to and point you in the direction of the farm and the farmers name.

Helps if you can shoot midweek as most farmers get plenty of weekend shooters knocking their door.

Edited by old'un

5 hours ago, marcus almond said:

advice needed, i have no issues with knocking on doors to find my first permission. I live in Worcestershire and I see fields I would like to shoot, but i don't know who owns it.

how do i find out ho owns land ?

As all ready stated , ask anyone who is working on any land near by or the nearest farm , they will sure to know who own the land or the next best thing who farm it as this day and age not all the owners live near by , if the worse comes to the worst you will have to find who the farm manager is if its a fairly big farm , if its only a small one it might well be run by the owner or the members of the owners family , if they live well away from the land you will then need to find his phone number and give him a ring , which is not as good as meeting the person face to face,

A good point raised by old'un was being able to go during the week instead of relying on week ends . you will then be more flexible with the weather conditions from day to day instead of going on a wet day or a windless day on the Saturday. 

It's always worth repeating that one of the best ways of finding some shooting is to find out where the shooting types frequent and get yourself involved in beating. Not easy for urban dwellers admittedly, but beating opens so many doors it's unbelievable. 

On some of the shoots on which I beat, many aren't even shooters, but will travel 50 miles plus to go beating. Some don't even want to shoot on beaters day! 

Edited by Scully

9 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

The only better way I know was to be on the boundary of one permission on Boxing Day about 8 years ago. I shot a very high pigeon that dropped about 200 feet over the boundary and it just so happened the farmer was walking through his rape crop (unknown to me), heard the shot and saw the bird drop from on high. He retrieved it for me and whilst chatting I was asked to go and see him in the new year, we exchanged phone numbers on the spot and I gained 600 acres as easily as it was possible to do. His sister then married a Farmer from 15 miles away and I was already shooting his land.

You do get refusals, but if you don't get out and meet these people you will not get any shooting.

As an aside, I regularly take Mates out on other peoples ground, nice to be trusted. But it always amuses me that 50% of those I take out ask me for the farmers telephone number, they always get told that they are MY PERMISSIONS and they are welcome to join me, but if they attempt to poach them we will fall out.

TC in my opinion that's the way to do it! 

All the folk i take out on other peoples land know the rules. I've never had so much as one problem in that i had to draw the cutlass. We all know the rules of the game.    

50 minutes ago, Scully said:

It's always worth repeating that one of the best ways of finding some shooting is to find out where the shooting types frequent and get yourself involved in beating. Not easy for urban dwellers admittedly, but beating opens so many doors it's unbelievable. 

On some of the shoots on which I beat, many aren't even shooters, but will travel 50 miles plus to go beating. Some don't even want to shoot on beaters day! 

Agree 100% Scully. The deal on one very large Norfolk estate were i used to beat was that the beaters (who were very well paid and fed) also got the pigeon shooting subject to the sayso of the head keeper and underkeepers.    

3 hours ago, marsh man said:

I would imagine that is the same for most of the members , although two farms I used to go on sent me a letter each year thanking me for my services and a map of where the Peas were going in as each year they contracted other farmers land where I could go on and that was the prof if anyone ever asked.

As TIGHTCHOKE said in one of his posts you can sometimes strike it lucky , two instances spring to mind , once I was trying to find a field of Peas that was on one of the above letters , this was new to me and in a fairly remote place , when you want to find someone to ask there is never no one about which was the case on this particular day , going down the lane I saw a tractor working on the other side of the field so I took my map and wandered over to have a yarn , I walked over to where he had to turn round and when he stopped I asked him if he knew where this field was , after he told me the directions he then asked me why I needed to know , I told him I was asked by by Mr so and so to control the pigeons , he then said he had a couple of fields of peas that I could also keep an eye on , and as it turned out they produced a lot of good shooting.

This next bit of luck happened with a good friend of mine and not me , he went to knock on a door and while talking to the farmer his wife called him to say all the lights have just gone off and the cooker is off , with him being an electritian he said if he wanted he would have a look , after checking the fuses and testing the bits and pieces he soon sorted it all out and got the power back on , needless to say he got the go ahead.

Whilst out shooting on one of my permissions diagnosed a aortic heart murmur and angina in someone with no previous cardiac history and and advised them to get down to docs the same day with my findings and diagnosis written onto the back of a piece of paper. Within 10 days they were on the surgeons table getting a bypass.

Was asked by another to listen to his terriers chest as he had been under the weather and sounded a bit rough and he was going to see how the dog fared over the next few days. Though i not a  vet i gave it a whirl and grabbed me stethoscope out of me car, poor mutt was full of pulmonary oedema, told him to get said dog straight up to the vet.

Outcome, happy dog, happy farmer, happy shooter.

Picked up many maladies over the years in people outside of work, some insignificant others very significant. 

Great to see other members of the PW fraternity offering services and help where needed.

19 minutes ago, 7daysinaweek said:

Whilst out shooting on one of my permissions diagnosed a aortic heart murmur and angina in someone with no previous cardiac history and and advised them to get down to docs the same day with my findings and diagnosis written onto the back of a piece of paper. Within 10 days they were on the surgeons table getting a bypass.

Was asked by another to listen to his terriers chest as he had been under the weather and sounded a bit rough and he was going to see how the dog fared over the next few days. Though i not a  vet i gave it a whirl and grabbed me stethoscope out of me car, poor mutt was full of pulmonary oedema, told him to get said dog straight up to the vet.

Outcome, happy dog, happy farmer, happy shooter.

Picked up many maladies over the years in people outside of work, some insignificant others very significant. 

Great to see other members of the PW fraternity offering services and help where needed.

Sound like the ideal friend to have around in a medical crisis ,  and I am sure the people involved appreciated your knowledge , Well done and have a very good Christmas .

10 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Sound like the ideal friend to have around in a medical crisis ,  and I am sure the people involved appreciated your knowledge , Well done and have a very good Christmas .

Thank you mm

Always happy to look in an ear, throat or listen to a chest etc.

Atb and have a wonderful Christmas.

1 hour ago, Whitebridges said:

Agree 100% Scully. The deal on one very large Norfolk estate were i used to beat was that the beaters (who were very well paid and fed) also got the pigeon shooting subject to the sayso of the head keeper and underkeepers.    

That is still the case Whitebridges , but if I am honest , the woods in February are well attended the first week and I recon up to 25% drop out each week after the first one so by the fourth week there is very little shooting going on . and after that the novelty have worn off .

As for decoying , there might be the odd beater who have a go if there are a lot of Pigeons to be seen but for the rest of the year there is no sign of them and when you see them about and ask if they had been doing any pigeon shooting the main excuse is they haven't had the time :hmm:

4 hours ago, Whitebridges said:

Yep. I have to confess as a country lad I can shoot over a lot of land, but decoying can be pretty sparse simply because of what is grown, but one of the guns in our syndicate is also the 'keeper for a local shoot, and he says he just didn't have time to get out on the stubbles last year and there was plenty of shooting available, so will let us know when the birds are about, and his brother has offered to get us onto his perms also for decoying, so hopefully next year will be busier. 

• 3 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Jacko3275 said:

Do farmers give permission to more than one person cos surely there a more shooters than farms

Not every person who have a sgc want to shoot pigeons and the ones who do cant be everywhere at once , a lot of pigeon shooters would like to think they have the sole shooting but in reality they might have permission to go but there are a lot of times when pigeons are being a problem and because of work , family commitments , illness or they found a better prospect to shoot bigger numbers they give certain farms a miss , these are the ones where the owner is likely to give ( and often do ) permission to somebody else .

Read P C reports on a Saturday night and he will often tell you he is competing with other shooters when he ring up for the go ahead .

On 20/12/2018 at 15:40, marsh man said:

As all ready stated , ask anyone who is working on any land near by or the nearest farm , they will sure to know who own the land or the next best thing who farm it as this day and age not all the owners live near by , if the worse comes to the worst you will have to find who the farm manager is if its a fairly big farm , if its only a small one it might well be run by the owner or the members of the owners family , if they live well away from the land you will then need to find his phone number and give him a ring , which is not as good as meeting the person face to face,

A good point raised by old'un was being able to go during the week instead of relying on week ends . you will then be more flexible with the weather conditions from day to day instead of going on a wet day or a windless day on the Saturday. 

I`m having real problems finding out who owns/manages some farm land up here in Northumberland. I`m seeing good numbers of pigeons on the rape in several fields, and have never seen or heard any guns on them, but I cannot find the farm. I know it might seem odd but there doesn`t seem to be a farmhouse anywhere nearby. The advice to knock on the nearest houses to ask if anyone knows who manages the land is good advice, so i`ve had a look on google earth, and located the nearest houses, (which are in the middle of a large wooded area,  well away from the nearest road), but when I went to pay a visit I discovered that the houses are behind some very large electric gates, which are plastered with signs saying "keep out"  "private estate"  "no trespassing".  So by the looks of it this was the farm, and it has now been converted into several big posh houses in a gated community,  and they seem rather keen on their privacy.  As we know farmers can farm land which is quite a distance from their farm, which makes this one a difficult permission to gain, which is especially frustrating as it is closer to home than any of my current permissions, and is being hit hard by the pigeons right now. I think my only hope is to catch someone working the land, but so far I have never seen anyone there.  Anybody got any ideas or advice?

Are you saying that there is not a farm anywhere? I would start with the nearest introduce yourself and ask them if they know where the farmer lives so that you can go and ask him. Either that or start with the nearest house. Alternatively speak to your existing farmers or one of their contractors. The only other option is to pay for the information from the land registry.

1 hour ago, Timerider said:

I`m having real problems finding out who owns/manages some farm land up here in Northumberland. I`m seeing good numbers of pigeons on the rape in several fields, and have never seen or heard any guns on them, but I cannot find the farm. I know it might seem odd but there doesn`t seem to be a farmhouse anywhere nearby. The advice to knock on the nearest houses to ask if anyone knows who manages the land is good advice, so i`ve had a look on google earth, and located the nearest houses, (which are in the middle of a large wooded area,  well away from the nearest road), but when I went to pay a visit I discovered that the houses are behind some very large electric gates, which are plastered with signs saying "keep out"  "private estate"  "no trespassing".  So by the looks of it this was the farm, and it has now been converted into several big posh houses in a gated community,  and they seem rather keen on their privacy.  As we know farmers can farm land which is quite a distance from their farm, which makes this one a difficult permission to gain, which is especially frustrating as it is closer to home than any of my current permissions, and is being hit hard by the pigeons right now. I think my only hope is to catch someone working the land, but so far I have never seen anyone there.  Anybody got any ideas or advice?

The land has been cultivated, there’s been tractors and people in and out of the field/s, so unless the field/s are in the middle of nowhere and the nearest house/farm is 5 miles away someone will know who that land belongs to, the land at some point will have neighbouring land, the owner of this land will almost certainly know who his neighbour is, think its time to go back on Google earth and look for the next nearest house/farm.

Or you could just start shooting it, if someone turns up tell them you meet the owner at the gate and he said it was ok.:whistling:

2 minutes ago, old'un said:

The land has been cultivated, there’s been tractors and people in and out of the field/s, so unless the field/s are in the middle of nowhere and the nearest house/farm is 5 miles away someone will know who that land belongs to, the land at some point will have neighbouring land, the owner of this land will almost certainly know who his neighbour is, think its time to go back on Google earth and look for the next nearest house/farm.

Or you could just start shooting it, if someone turns up tell them you meet the owner at the gate and he said it was ok.:whistling:

🤣 Thanks for the advice old`un  I will check again on google earth, there must be a farm somewhere, I just haven`t been able to find it yet. I will persevere though because it would be a great permission to get 👍

1 hour ago, Timerider said:

🤣 Thanks for the advice old`un  I will check again on google earth, there must be a farm somewhere, I just haven`t been able to find it yet. I will persevere though because it would be a great permission to get 👍

As already said , there must be farm(s) close by , unless the person behind closed doors own the lot which if he did he would employ people who again must live close to where they work .

Failing that I would ask at the nearest pub , shop , garage or maybe the local postman might know , if he did you could get his address and send him your request and put in your letter a stamped address envelope , this might be passed on to his secretary for a reply back to you .

GOOD LUCK and keep trying , it might well be worth it in the end .