Court appearances

Wb123

I have been called to crown court as a witness, it means flying back which will be awkward but possible (they have agreed to cover expenses) but it makes work arrangements very tricky to plan  

I have failed entirely to find answers online or from them for how long am I likely to have to attend (all they say is that I am one of thirteen witnesses they want).

Does anyone have any experience in the matter they might be able to share?

Is this a criminal civil or appeal, trial by jury? Have you asked if your evidence can be served under sections nine or ten of the criminal justice act 1967... that means it has to be agreed by both sides but again this depends on the type of trial and if your evidence is in contention.... as for waiting to give evidence well how long is a piece of string? Good luck !

Criminal, presumably by jury. My written evidence is supposedly in contention. Apparently both the prosecution and defence feel it can be used to strengthen their arguments so some degree of cross examination seems likely.

I would be be attending as a professional witness, so it is at least paid, albeit not at a rate commensurate with loss of earnings should my current employer wish it to be unpaid leave. 

Without knowing the case (which you cannot talk about) it is difficult. 

Knowing the court system as I do, a few annoying things can happen. 

You get there, there will be a few hours of legal argument, the suspect will wait to see which witnesses turn up and if a few do, they will plead guilty. You’ll be sent on your way with a thanks. 

Or you’ll sit around all day, get called in the box, asked a question you’ll answer it and they will say “that’s all”

you might be floating in that case you’ll have to wait for another court room. Or they can adjourn it for another day. 

There are many many possible pitfalls on the day. Be prepared to wait around a lot, or maybe come back a second day. With 13witnesses I’m surprised your not earned for a couple of days at least. 

Depending where your flying from, or how long it is away, you could suggest a video link from a local court. Some courts are not really using this facility to the best of their ability when it’s cost effective and can ease pressure on the witness