Knives in cars

PPP

Helping out over the shoot I’m forever needing, but forgetting to take a pocket knife me.  I have a small buck lock knife which is perfect for the tasks that I encounter and I’m wondering whether to leave it in the center console with the gloves that I also nearly always forget.

in the unlikeyely event that my car was broken into ( has never happened) or indeed someone crashed into me (never happened) and the police were to attend and become aware, where would i stand legally?

I have mine in the car 24/7, I have used it to dispatch deer at the side of the road after RTA`s as well as used for gralloching when shooting, so I have it in a zip lock bag with several pairs of blue disposable gloves and a couple of bigger zip locks to put the pluck in. I used to hav a lot of tags for the game dealer as I used to do the cull for a local estate , but I don`t do it anymore and I think that all of that is enough for any reasonable police officer to understand that you are not going equiped.

There are tons of 'UK friendly' knives out there these days that comply with the <3" and non-locking mechanism rules. Have a look on the Hennie Haynes website;

https://www.heinnie.com/knives-and-tools/uk-friendly-carry-knives

If you really need a fixed/locking blade, as suggested, don't keep it in the front of the car, put it in the boot etc.

2 minutes ago, Dibble said:

Why did you retire your opinels? It doesn't matter how large the blade is or that it locks if you have good reason. 

The laws an ***.   We have probably the highest incidence of knife crime in Europe, police are not allowed to stop and search even in situations where there is a likelyhood a person is carrying.   YET, a perfectly law abiding person with a small locking blade knife can be charged with an offence which will give them a criminal record makes the law more than an ***.

If your up to your elbows in the chest cavity of a deer, the last thing you want is a blade to close on your fingers and there are other similar situations, so suggesting that a non locking blade is all that is required is not on. 

To explain ... the law is one of those animals Jesus rode on .

Edited by Walker570

I should point out I don't agree with this law, it's a lazy law that just made it easier to arrest people. It was always illegal to carry something as an offensive weapon, now people carrying a legitimate tool have to prove their innocence not the courts prove their guilt.

I'm a Scout leader in South London and have quite strong views on "Knife Crime" or "Crime" as it used to be known and the self serving self publicists who comment on it.

I tend not to carry my Opinels, my Falkniven or my locking Swiss Army as in most of the situations where they are legal I can carry a sheath knife.

I do sometimes carry them on Scout camps where we are sharing the site with other groups. Believe it or not other Scout leaders can comment if you are visibly carrying a knife.

I only ever use locking knives. I rely on my hands to make a living and have seen enough accidents with folders to prefer my chances with the cps choosing whether to pursue the law. 

My usual knives are a small carbon opinel and a Swiss army job with a hoof pick and a locking blade. 

To be honest (here anyway) ive always found them to be understanding. Did get questioned once why I had bolt cutters and a 3' gorilla bar, rest of the tools sort of told the story.

I have also gone into the local court to pay a speeding fine wearing a jacket I had worn for shooting the week before, forgot there was a knife in the pocket until the metal detector beeped, security guard was understanding, possibly because the way I was dressed and let me go on my way.   

Other than when I have been in bed, swimming, on a plane or otherwise indisposed I have had knives about my person or in my car since I was a boy and that will continue. 

As they say about guns it is not the knife that is the problem.

Now that I have Ditchman's knife I may even begin to sleep with it so precious is it.

I dont have a boot in my truck but the back seat has a tool bag with at least two skinning knives. There is a spare in the rear door pocket and another spare folder in the rear. A multi tool in the door pocket and if i am going stalking i will take a knife :))) 

Edited by oowee

I have a knife on me most times, albeit the one I have in my pocket is UK legal. But in my vehicle I have several, and I often discover that whichever jacket I have on has a knife in a pocket somewhere. I'm not too worried. The law is an embarrassment to law abiding people and was introduced by politicians as a placebo to fool the public into thinking 'something' had been done. Pathetic. 

I noticed on a news programme last week that the bin where knives could be disposed of mainly consisted of the type you find in most kitchens. Ridiculous and laughable piece of legislation.

8 hours ago, JDog said:

Other than when I have been in bed, swimming, on a plane or otherwise indisposed I have had knives about my person or in my car since I was a boy and that will continue. 

As they say about guns it is not the knife that is the problem.

Now that I have Ditchman's knife I may even begin to sleep with it so precious is it.

+1 . I to have knives kept in truck for use in the field and won’t stop leaving them there .  My ditchy knife is kept in my pocket when going out shooting at all times . When I get pulled over and searched for knifes I will tell the policeman to look on back seat and he will a shot gun and 500 rounds of ammo .

harnser