Worth claiming?

Lloyd90

To cut a long story short, the pup ate a load of mince pies the other day after managing to climb up onto the counter 😣! 

Now advice from friends and online ranged from leave him he’ll be fine, to people who’s dog ate a few raisins and died. All very dramatic.

I took him to the vets as better safe than sorry and they gave him some medication so he threw up a load of raw green tripe he had for breakfast, as well as a load of mince pies. They said it was the most disgusting vomit they’d seen in their careers! 

They did want to keep him in for 2 days in a drip but I declined that and took him home. He’ seems fine now and is Jolly in himself. 

Total cost was about £173 something, with my insurance plan with Petplan the excess is £100. 

Is it worth claiming for the £73 ish... or will they just jack my insurance up next year 🤔 also if I don’t claim to I need to inform them still? 

Thanks

Lloyd! 

Whether you need to inform them or not depends on the precise wording of your policy but I would say you probably don,t need to as this is one off incident and has no bearing on the future health of the dog and therefore the ongoing risk presented to the insurer

Don,t have any experience of your insurer but they will probably up your premium unless they run some sort of protected bonus scheme.

Its boring dry stuff but the only answer is to read your policy  - alternatively ring them and write the answer down and make a note of the name of the person you spoke to along with the date and time of your conversation. Keep the note with your policy documents.

Definitely not worth claiming in my experience.

Our beagle has eaten countless raisins and chocolate, amongst many, many, other things (all pinched I should add). Never had any effect, yet like you I hear horror stories of a mince pie being some poor dog’s last dinner. 

I would say claim if you need the money and if you don't I wouldn't bother.

My experience with PetPlan is that if the incident doesn't cause an ongoing health issue your premium will not go up.

We had a £6,000 vet bill (infection caused by grass seed) earlier this year and last week a £500 bill for the same dog due to barbed wire and we claimed for both. The claim process is easy and quick and most vets will check it and submit it on your behalf. 

Our policy was due for renewal in March and didn't increase by more than 3% which I would expect anyway due to inflation.

I submitted the "barbed wire" claim last week and got a text on Friday confirming it had been accepted and the money will be paid direct into my account within 5 days

On 23/12/2018 at 12:12, ilovemyheckler said:

I would say claim if you need the money and if you don't I wouldn't bother.

My experience with PetPlan is that if the incident doesn't cause an ongoing health issue your premium will not go up.

We had a £6,000 vet bill (infection caused by grass seed) earlier this year and last week a £500 bill for the same dog due to barbed wire and we claimed for both. The claim process is easy and quick and most vets will check it and submit it on your behalf. 

Our policy was due for renewal in March and didn't increase by more than 3% which I would expect anyway due to inflation.

I submitted the "barbed wire" claim last week and got a text on Friday confirming it had been accepted and the money will be paid direct into my account within 5 days

Yes I have heard they’re one of the better companies. 

In the end tho I didn’t bother, just paid the vet.