Decoying ducks and geese???

stuart21

Afternoon all!

I will be shooting up at the wash on the weekend and there are quite a few mallard, teal and widgeon, as well as some greys.

I have some duck decoys that I plan to put in a large splash and also some greylag sillosocks, that I plan to put on the field.

Is this okay, or is it likely to put either off?

Also, my duck decoys are a mixture of mallard, teal and Widgeon. Any suggestions on the do’s and dont’s of laying these out?

Thanks in advance!

Don't put the geese with the ducks. 

To be fair when it's quite dark all the ducks can see is the silhouettes of the decoys. 

Have a look in your area at how the ducks feed and group on the splashes and mimick them.

Round my way the widgeon tend to hurdle on the muddy banks and margins unless feeding.

Teal and mallard tend to do all kinds of things, sometimes grouping in one big group other times small groups and singles.

33 minutes ago, figgy said:

Don't put the geese with the ducks. 

To be fair when it's quite dark all the ducks can see is the silhouettes of the decoys. 

Have a look in your area at how the ducks feed and group on the splashes and mimick them.

Round my way the widgeon tend to hurdle on the muddy banks and margins unless feeding.

Teal and mallard tend to do all kinds of things, sometimes grouping in one big group other times small groups and singles.

Why not put the geese with the ducks? I have shot lots of ducks and geese with both sets of decoys out. The Americans also have a lot of success mixing decoys.

21 hours ago, stuart21 said:

Afternoon all!

I will be shooting up at the wash on the weekend and there are quite a few mallard, teal and widgeon, as well as some greys.

I have some duck decoys that I plan to put in a large splash and also some greylag sillosocks, that I plan to put on the field.

Is this okay, or is it likely to put either off?

Also, my duck decoys are a mixture of mallard, teal and Widgeon. Any suggestions on the do’s and dont’s of laying these out?

Thanks in advance!

😉

211np6e.jpg

Edited by Penelope

13 hours ago, motty said:

Why not put the geese with the ducks? I have shot lots of ducks and geese with both sets of decoys out. The Americans also have a lot of success mixing decoys.

Where I shoot they ducks stay away in their own groups. Only Canada's and greylags mixing together.

Your place must be different to mine Motty. Ours the geese are near always on land the ducks on the water or Margins and mud flats.

9 hours ago, figgy said:

Where I shoot they ducks stay away in their own groups. Only Canada's and greylags mixing together.

Your place must be different to mine Motty. Ours the geese are near always on land the ducks on the water or Margins and mud flats.

Your geese and ducks probably hang monkies too!