Fake Rare Scotch Whiskies Abound!

TIGHTCHOKE

Big money to be made - many years ago I knew a young couple that used to buy Tesco's cheapest plonk, several cases at a time, and, after soaking the labels off overnight in the bath, would replace them with some copied "up market" French wine label then sell cases to local Restaurants - they were making a killing.  

43 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Big money to be made - many years ago I knew a young couple that used to buy Tesco's cheapest plonk, several cases at a time, and, after soaking the labels off overnight in the bath, would replace them with some copied "up market" French wine label then sell cases to local Restaurants - they were making a killing.  

I am aware of that happening an awful lot.

I am trying to remember which restaurant we were in last year and I recognised the wines had all come from Lidl. Now I drink some of their wines but not at over blown charges!

years ago when i was still of some use to soceity....i took out the bods at British gas to Michael Caines resteraunt in London...there were 8 of us altogether......they gave us the wine menu...mate was reading them out and i said get a few bottles of so and so wine...as i had drunk some of that very recently bought from Asda at £8 quid a bottle.....anyway there we were quaffing the stuff like vimto...and the bottles kept coming with the food.....

the visa (company visa) had a heartattack at the end of the meal...and on the way home i was looking at the breakdown....we were being charged £47.00 / bottle for the wine....and in Asda it was £8.00 a bottle.............

13 minutes ago, ditchman said:

years ago when i was still of some use to soceity....i took out the bods at British gas to Michael Caines resteraunt in London...there were 8 of us altogether......they gave us the wine menu...mate was reading them out and i said get a few bottles of so and so wine...as i had drunk some of that very recently bought from Asda at £8 quid a bottle.....anyway there we were quaffing the stuff like vimto...and the bottles kept coming with the food.....

the visa (company visa) had a heartattack at the end of the meal...and on the way home i was looking at the breakdown....we were being charged £47.00 / bottle for the wine....and in Asda it was £8.00 a bottle.............

Michael 'blow the bloody doors off' Caine or Michael 'Chef with one hand' Caine?

9 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

I am at a complete loss to understand what would motivate anybody to pay those sort of prices in the first place for a bottle of whisky (or wine).

Vince I too share your opinion and can only surmise that it is people who like to show what they have bought, in a nutshell, just another type of willy waver!

On 21/12/2018 at 12:49, Vince Green said:

I am at a complete loss to understand what would motivate anybody to pay those sort of prices in the first place for a bottle of whisky (or wine).

At £4,000 a bottle are they really buying it to be drunk? 

Some people are buying it like art, to sit in a lockup or in storage whilst the price supposedly climbes and climbes ... until you find out it’s a fake 😂

On ‎21‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 12:49, Vince Green said:

My sisters fella has done this, bought several bottles of whiskey over the years at crazy money saying its an investment? I would love for them to have a party a some point and someone walk in drinking from a bottle.

On 26/12/2018 at 13:55, Mice! said:

My sisters fella has done this, bought several bottles of whiskey over the years at crazy money saying its an investment? I would love for them to have a party a some point and someone walk in drinking from a bottle.

A good friend owns a drinks company. He gave a bottle of very nice and not too cheap whisky to a mate for his birthday. 

This mate made every drop count and the bottle was lasting well, it was the sort of whisky you drank slowly on your own. Perhaps with a cigar and the world seemed a better place for it.

That was until a fateful bbq was held and another "mate" was pouring large ones out with coke. His face was a picture. How I laughed. 

3 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

A good friend owns a drinks company. He gave a bottle of very nice and not too cheap whisky to a mate for his birthday. 

This mate made every drop count and the bottle was lasting well, it was the sort of whisky you drank slowly on your own. Perhaps with a cigar and the world seemed a better place for it.

That was until a fateful bbq was held and another "mate" was pouring large ones out with coke. His face was a picture. How I laughed. 

you would though wouldn't you, long time ago, probably New years eve my old fella and his mate were drinking Dimple while giving the mates wife grouse 😂😂