Drones over Gatwick

defender

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Logic says you get three locations and when it lands to change batteries you triangulate and catch the offenders. I agree shoot it down to allow flights to continue but nobody gets caught. 

With prisons and drones delivering drugs, phones and takeaways?????? Either a six inch square net over the open area or shoot it down. 

Am I just too simplistic in my outlook

5 minutes ago, silver pigeon69 said:

Could this be "intentional"? Low level terrorist activity? Bit of a coincidence with a few of them flying about closing the airport??

Low level intelligence activity more like.

Surely someone can go up with a helo with thermal, and track the operator ?

23 minutes ago, moose man said:

Surely they could block the signal ? Failing that 40grm 3 ‘s would give it a run for its money ..

Bit over gunned there.

Shouldn't need anything more than 32grm 6's.

@ half choke.

:whistling::lol:

Seriously though - a couple of blokes with shotguns would have that sorted out in moments - I imagine they want to catch the lil wotsits more and make an example of them... Its not like airfields are short on space for a safe shotgun shot either.  

I doubt there is a plane alive that wouldn't brush past a civilian drone as if it were a midge, this has manufactured news written all over it. There just must be sooooooo many ways of dealing with this nuisance inside 15 minutes makes you wonder what they're up to. 

Just now, Hamster said:

I doubt there is a plane alive that wouldn't brush past a civilian drone as if it were a midge, this has manufactured news written all over it. There just must be sooooooo many ways of dealing with this nuisance inside 15 minutes makes you wonder what they're up to. 

public support for tighter drone licencing written all over it.

10 bore should do it if they go high(ish)

Seriously, if this has been going on since last night at 9(ish) with drones landing (presumably to change batteries) how come the cops have not found them.

Anyhoos;  they should be able to find them (eventually) and when/if they do a 5 year stretch would do nicely and be the least of their worries. If they are not some kind of silly boy terrorists then every airline which has suffered, every passenger (probably not possible) and the airport itself should give them a bill for the 100's of 1000's this will have cost. I know not a hope in a hardly ever of getting the money but chase them for years, totally ruin them. Court orders to pay up etc.etc. But of course it will not happen in this nanny state but if and it is a terrible if an aircraft with 200 people + sucked a drone into an engine ?? Not exactly like most birds getting chewed up and spat out, drones have hard nasty bits which could prove disastrous. 

Just now, Lord v said:

public support for tighter drone licencing written all over it.

If I'm honest I don't see why any tom **** or harry could/should get hold of equipment that can have such devastating impact on ordinary lives, surely the least we should expect is individual identifier chips for anything bigger than a frisbee ? 

1 minute ago, Hamster said:

If I'm honest I don't see why any tom **** or harry could/should get hold of equipment that can have such devastating impact on ordinary lives, surely the least we should expect is individual identifier chips for anything bigger than a frisbee ? 

I agree to be honest - I often wonder how its taken so long.

Especially when the police et al harp on about public safety in relation to shooting.

3 minutes ago, Lord v said:

Bit over gunned there.

Shouldn't need anything more than 32grm 6's.

@ half choke.

:whistling::lol:

Seriously though - a couple of blokes with shotguns would have that sorted out in moments - I imagine they want to catch the lil wotsits more and make an example of them... Its not like airfields are short on space for a safe shotgun shot either.  

I was airing on the side of caution , can you be over gunned when dealing with an unknown..😂 ..

I like you think they want the perpetrators more than the drones out the way , if they catch them , I’m sure they will be made an example of .From what I’ve heard they are much more than the toy type ..

9 minutes ago, Lord v said:

seriously though - a couple of blokes with shotguns would have that sorted out in moments - I imagine they want to catch the lil wotsits more and make an example of them... Its not like airfields are short on space for a safe shotgun shot either.

Depends how high they are .
My £50 drone will outrange any shotgun you like, height wise.

10 minutes ago, Hamster said:

I dont think one getting sucked into a engine would go down too well !
But I do agree, theres more to it than meets the eye, you would think theres a whole range of options, triangulation , jamming , thermal ect.

1 minute ago, Lord v said:

I agree to be honest - I often wonder how its taken so long.

Especially when the police et al harp on about public safety in relation to shooting.

I was in an Apple store last week and they had a couple for sale at £500 and £850 odd 😨 both looked incredibly sophisticated, can easily imagine something like that of being capable of quietly hovering 40 feet above and to the side of a cash point reading peoples pins, it prolly doesn't even need to be in day time. 

9 minutes ago, Hamster said:

be careful as the same could be said about guns

I've always said this would happen when any nutter can go buy one.  They are a very useful tool for surveying etc etc even for the police and fire service but allowing free access without a license is crazy.   Before they catch the idiot/s they must take the two words ...could and may...... from the dictionary and put WILL in large capital letters.  How often do we see those words used in relation to possible retribution . Five years period, would be in my view be the minimum for anyone doing this.

Just now, Hamster said:

I was in an Apple store last week and they had a couple for sale at £500 and £850 odd 😨 both looked incredibly sophisticated, can easily imagine something like that of being capable of quietly hovering 40 feet above and to the side of a cash point reading peoples pins, it prolly doesn't even need to be in day time. 

Easy, but they are fairly noisy.
The main thing is flight time and range to controller, although this could be extended with a bit of knowledge , that just makes them easier to track.
£800 worth of drone gets you about 25 mins of flight time.