Drones over Gatwick

defender

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m a former air defence soldier, in terms of weaponary to bring down the drone, you have 2 choices, bullets or missiles, both of which are inappropriate in this instance. What will probably be deployed is ECM equipment and DF equipment to block the signals and locate the users. For obvious reasons I won’t go into depth any further.

So here is a simulation of an 8 pound quadcopter hitting a modern turbofan. It's not pretty and I wouldn't want to be part of the crew handling that or the risk to the 186 punters behind me if it could be avoided. The DJI Phantom amazon bought drone weighs 3 pounds, Chris Grayling has said the drone at LGW is a commercial, bigger drone.

The second video is of a DJI Phantom drone (3 pounds) hitting a wing. Admittedly it's a light aircraft wing but nonetheless if the commercial drone at LGW smashes through the leading edges and hit's the hydraulics or control cabling for the aileron or spoilers you're into control difficulties. 

Hope they catch them quick.....

I should add the engine failure should stay contained in it's casing, except when it didn't in the case of the Southwest incident and a fan blade breached the fuselage and a woman was sucked out.......

Still I think it is something best avoided.

28 minutes ago, Harry136 said:

I’m a former air defence soldier, in terms of weaponary to bring down the drone, you have 2 choices, bullets or missiles, both of which are inappropriate in this instance. What will probably be deployed is ECM equipment and DF equipment to block the signals and locate the users. For obvious reasons I won’t go into depth any further.

Why would bullets or shotgun pellets be inappropriate ? We don't even know what type of drones they/it is/are, how high it was or how slow so how can we know what's appropriate ? Even if a spent bullet did hit someone (which is INCREDIBLY unlikely) surely that's a risk worth taking to prevent such calamitous disruptions to lives and £millions lost. 

Doesn't bode well for a hot war if some cheap drones can bring a country's infrastructure to a stand still. 

Edited by Hamster

This sounds organised as discussed, drone flying to and from different re-conned pre-programmed points (where batteries are swapped out) and drone set off again , a modern professional drone has a 45 min battery and moves at 45mph and therefore police response time, other than by chance is unlikely to locate a mobile battery centre (think aircraft carrier concept).

As mentioned above, starstreak is not really suitable requiring contact with target to be effective (and a drone is small compared to an aircraft) and it is more likely they will try to jam the controller and cause the drone to crash, but if it operating in gps programmed mode they would also have to scramble the gps signal locally (which can be done) but creates difficulties for all users.

30 minutes ago, Hamster said:

Why would bullets or shotgun pellets be inappropriate ? We don't even know what type of drones they/it is/are, how high it was or how slow so how can we know what's appropriate ? Even if a spent bullet did hit someone (which is INCREDIBLY unlikely) surely that's a risk worth taking to prevent such calamitous disruptions to lives and £millions lost. 

Doesn't bode well for a hot war if some cheap drones can bring a country's infrastructure to a stand still. 

Agreed, 28g would take care of it. 

My thoughts 

Its a great distraction  , isnt it .24 hrs of every policeman and woman and mi6 trying to find 3 or 4 drone pilots causing havoc. 

Where is the real crime taking place...??

Crown jewels.  ? Banks ?.gold .? 

Ps the solution is obviously  a helicopter and a 12b with 34 grm of no 4.

5 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

My thoughts 

Its a great distraction  , isnt it .24 hrs of every policeman and woman and mi6 trying to find 3 or 4 drone pilots causing havoc. 

Hatton Gardens all over again! Be a movie about it in 5 years ;)

4 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

My thoughts 

sounds like the British version of Die hard 🤣 maybe Corbyn has hired some drone pilots to distract the media?

1 hour ago, poontang said:

Surely the police/military have some sort of super dooper radio frequency jamming device to bring down said drone? 

No, it's 12 months until being ready... it could have been ready by now but the funding wasn't there as it wasn't seen as a credible risks or a priority... 

The amount of money lost from this is going to be astronomical. 

On a serious note, imo you couldn't safely use a 12bore. The amount of shooters needed to cover the ground at realistic ranges of 100 yards apart (unless they are all radioed up to warn/learn of an advancing drone), the drone height + shot fall out, getting hit by the bloke next field over as he had a shot at a 15ft high drone with no 5 might leave a few marks. I know, I've been hit by no 5s at 100 yards 🤕

Would be good in the media tho for a change with headlines like 'game shooters save the day'. 

4 minutes ago, blackbird said:

I don’t know why they just don’t put chicken wire over the front of the engines 😀

That made me laugh 

16 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

On a serious note, imo you couldn't safely use a 12bore. The amount of shooters needed to cover the ground at realistic ranges of 100 yards apart (unless they are all radioed up to warn/learn of an advancing drone), the drone height + shot fall out, getting hit by the bloke next field over as he had a shot at a 15ft high drone with no 5 might leave a few marks. I know, I've been hit by no 5s at 100 yards 🤕

Would be good in the media tho for a change with headlines like 'game shooters save the day'. 

That made me laugh 

I'm going with a Javelin. Cheaper the the current saga and effective ;)

7 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Of course they can .its just that chickens are lazy basparps  and they cant be bothered. 

That reminds me of the old joke about the UK and USA collaborating on testing windscreens for aircraft. The yanks said, "How do you Brits do the tests?"

"We have a cannon that fires dead chickens at 500mph, they bounce off."

"Well we tried that and they go straight through."

A long pause and a few whispers in the background, then the answer.

"Defrost the bloody chicken!"

What about an Electro Magnetic Pulse (a Pinch) like you see in the movies. I assume these actually exist? Could they be used on a space as big as an airfield to target a drone and not cover a radius large enough to take down too many other systems? Obviously you wouldn’t want to do it with planes in the air though.