Drones over Gatwick

defender

I'd be suing too. It was handled very badly by all concerned.

They don't need to milk it with the stories of being under medical care etc. They just sound a bit pathetic doing that. 

I'd be smiling into the camera saying I'm going to enjoy spending their compensation money. 

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, walshie said:

I'd be suing too. It was handled very badly by all concerned.

They don't need to milk it with the stories of being under medical care etc. They just sound a bit pathetic doing that. 

I'd be smiling into the camera saying I'm going to enjoy spending their compensation money. 

Why do they need compensation!?!? Someone said they suspected them so the police did their job and questioned them, then released them. No need to then pay them to say sorry! They had nothing to hide, co operate with police and get released, then papers jump on it like a fly to poop. 

2 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

Why do they need compensation!?!? Someone said they suspected them so the police did their job and questioned them, then released them. No need to then pay them to say sorry! They had nothing to hide, co operate with police and get released, then papers jump on it like a fly to poop. 

Wrongly named and shamed all over the world through no fault of their own, probably had their house trashed too. Dang right to claim in my opinion. Too much of this naming innocent people going on like Sir Cliff Richard got in the press. This country is turning round the innocent till proven policy.

1 hour ago, ShootingEgg said:

I can’t help but think the police would have released them much earlier if the world’s media hadn’t been watching them, so good luck to them in claiming compo, even if it does come out of my taxes.

3 hours ago, Mighty Ruler said:

I can’t help but think the police would have released them much earlier if the world’s media hadn’t been watching them, so good luck to them in claiming compo, even if it does come out of my taxes.

It'll be the papers that cough up. The police did nothing wrong, unless it was them that released the names.

Edited by walshie

The police did nothing wrong, unless it was them that released the anmes.

That depends, the police should not be able to arrest and hold people unless there is strong suspicion  / evidence they were involved. I hope they do claim off the police, if they did not follow proper procedures. 

34 minutes ago, ordnance said:

That depends, the police should not be able to arrest and hold people unless there is strong suspicion  / evidence they were involved. I hope they do claim off the police, if they did not follow proper procedures. 

Why should they?! Someone reported them as suspicious and the police did their f'n job.. Why do people think they are entitled to a pay out.. No wonder this country is strapped for cash of we say sorry by giving people thousands of pounds. Next week this wont even be news and no one will give carp who they are. I couldn't give two hoots who they are now... They got reported, got questioned, got released, end of.... To claim they are now seeking medical attention is them purely seeking attention from joe public.. Jog on. 

52 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

Why should they?! Someone reported them as suspicious and the police did their f'n job.. Why do people think they are entitled to a pay out.. No wonder this country is strapped for cash of we say sorry by giving people thousands of pounds. Next week this wont even be news and no one will give carp who they are. I couldn't give two hoots who they are now... They got reported, got questioned, got released, end of.... To claim they are now seeking medical attention is them purely seeking attention from joe public.. Jog on. 

This country ain't strapped for cash, the problem is it's in the hands of a few.....and they ain't lettin go!... rich people live off poor people, and poor people live anyway they can! Including claiming compensation if the law says they can!.....

Why should they?! Someone reported them as suspicious and the police did their f'n job.

You obviously know more than me, what was reported about the couple involved. ? So you would be happy for the police to arrest you and your partner search your house question you for 30 hours because someone reported you as suspicious, you would be saying no problem the police were just doing their job  :rolleyes: i don't think so. 

27 minutes ago, ordnance said:

You obviously know more than me, what was reported about the couple involved. ? So you would be happy for the police to arrest you and your partner search your house question you for 30 hours because someone reported you as suspicious, you would be saying no problem the police were just doing their job  :rolleyes: i don't think so. 

Like i said its their job is it not? If these two were guilty and not picked up we'd all be slating the police for not doing there jobs! Ive been asked to go into the police after false accusations against me.. and guess what. Im not richer or poorer for it. But yeah crack on sue for ****s and giggles... 

2 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

That was a rather angry reaction. Take a deep breath and then take another look at what ordnance has written , it'll make perfect sense once the red mist has passed.👍

23 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

Like i said its their job is it not? If these two were guilty and not picked up we'd all be slating the police for not doing there jobs! Ive been asked to go into the police after false accusations against me.. and guess what. Im not richer or poorer for it. But yeah crack on sue for ****s and giggles... 

Were you and your partner arrested questioned for 30 hours and your house searched on a accusation , if so you are telling me you would have no problem with that they were only doing their job. ? 

20 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

Quite so, however, your picture,  name, and address were not spread world wide by the press.  If the police released the names then they are culpable, if not, as I think is the situation, they are not.

If they did then some recompense is in order, as you are considered innocent until proven guilty but they were tried by media and found guilty, before even any charges were placed, by the press with no means of response.  However I think they did not and the press ran away with it on a tip off from a neighbor  so the lawyers should hit them hard, and the only way to do that to the press is in the pocket.

2 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

To claim they are now seeking medical attention is them purely seeking attention from joe public..

On what basis can anybody, other than the couple’s own doctors, make statements about what medical care they may or may not be receiving?   

Any suggestion that they are attention-seekers would seem to be directly contradicted by their own words: "We would ask that the press please respect our privacy and leave us to try and get through Christmas as best we can."   ( https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-46675612n )

The police had to take in the couple for questioning, the tip off implied they were involved in a crime. They were released without charge and as far as I can make out the police didn't make their identity known. That was down to the neighbour and the press who vilified them as "morons" and made them a potential target for hate mail, physical attack or other retribution.

That is where the blame lies, fairly and squarely in the hands of the press who decided to name names and print pics of people who were subsequently proven innocent.

The press should be sued and pay damages, very big damages. Just as they did for Cliff Richard.

The police had to take in the couple for questioning, the tip off implied they were involved in a crime.

No they did not have to take them in for questioning, they chose to take them in for questioning. I am sure people make accusations all the time about neighbours etc, the police do not arrest and detain them all for 30 hours. I would have hoped the police would need more than a neighbours accusation to arrest and question a UK citizen for 30 hours, its like something you would expect in third world country. I am surprised so many seem to think its OK, maybe if it was them they would have a different view. 

14 minutes ago, ordnance said:

No they did not have to take them in for questioning, they chose to take them in for questioning. I am sure people make accusations all the time about neighbours etc, the police do not arrest and detain them all for 30 hours. I would have hoped the police would need more than a neighbours accusation to arrest and question a UK citizen for 30 hours, its like something you would expect in third world country. I am surprised so many seem to think its OK, maybe if it was them they would have a different view. 

Exactly.

It would have taken a very short time to establish his alibi (he was at his normal work).

Edited by JohnfromUK

11 minutes ago, ordnance said:

I would think the potentially serious nature of the offences were enough to ensure very thorough questioning. 

There is a very big difference between discretely and voluntarily attending a police station and being banged up with loads of police cars outside your house, and officers possibly questioning all your neighbours too. It's also quite conceiveable that over reacting officers MAY have over reacted in their questioning practices too, leading to some distress.

We dont know and I'd guess SE doesn't know either.

The investigation APPEARS to have been badly handled on the whole, but we won't know if that is the case for some time yet - if ever. We do know that the police could have established his working hours very quickly but apparently didn't feel they needed to bother with such a positive alibi.