Loads of pigeons but it's turnips ???

shawn9914

One one permission I have seen hundreds of pigeons of late going in and out of a large wood. The fields surrounding it are planted with turnips and are about a foot  high. 

I have not seen any birds going on the turnips but the shear ammount going over into the woods is outstanding

My question is would it be worth trying to decoy over turnips as I have never tried this and don't know if I will be wasting my time even though I may get quite a few shots at passing birds but they will be fast and high

What's your thoughts would you try this or not bother.

Cheers 

Edited by shawn9914

9 hours ago, shawn9914 said:

One one permission I have seen hundreds of pigeons of late going in and out of a large wood. The fields surrounding it are planted with turnips and are about a foot  high. 

I have not seen any birds going on the turnips but the shear ammount going over into the woods is outstanding

My question is would it be worth trying to decoy over turnips as I have never tried this and don't know if I will be wasting my time even though I may get quite a few shots at passing birds but they will be fast and high

What's your thoughts would you try this or not bother.

Cheers 

Why not go once it break light in the morning and try and follow the pigeons to find out where they are feeding during the day , you might then be on a winner .

As you have been watching this wood you obviously have an idea of the flight lines in and out of the wood, as suggested a few lofters will pull the birds closer for a shot, but its my guess that there is some rape not to far away and they are using this wood as a resting place in-between their attacks on said fields, its possible the first few shots will spook them and they do not return, as marsh man said, try and find out where they are going.

Or give it a go and see what happens, I would go for flighting it can be fantastic shooting if you get them returning and you are in the right place.

Good luck :good:

23 minutes ago, JDog said:

DSC07694_zpsgnsn5ra9.jpg

I shot these on a field of turnips in June of last year. Don't dismiss turnips as a food source at any time. Only yesterday I saw pigeons going into a field of stubble turnips which had already been grazed by sheep.

Or is it possible they were feeding on rape growing between the turnips????

13 minutes ago, JDog said:

Yes I think I said that at the time. Still it was a field of turnips.

I have never shot any pigeons on young turnip plants, but I have shot some very big bags on spring rape, although you may have been on a turnip field it was the rape that pulled them to that field.

JDog the only reason I pulled you on your post is because its misleading the OP, he may well think he to could shoot a bag like that on young turnip plants.

Think you know what pulled those pigeons to that field “First cauliflowers now turnips”

Merry Xmas :xmas:

20 minutes ago, old'un said:

JDog the only reason I pulled you on your post is because its misleading the OP, he may well think he to could shoot a bag like that on young turnip plants.

Think you know what pulled those pigeons to that field “First cauliflowers now turnips”

Merry Xmas :xmas:

I am always happy to take advice from an expert.

In the winter of 2010 bitter cold, massive snow falls around here, ground frozen had to use a hammer n chisel to get the hide poles in. Had some decent bags from sheep turnips sown with kale, had a job keeping the pigeons off they were hammering it. When the sheep were moved they still fed on the turnip stumps eaten down to ground level but frozen into the ground. 

If the pigeons are that  keen on coming to and from the wood I wood just get tucked in the edge of the wood under the line in. Maybe a magnet or lofters would help concentrate the line. Also if they are a bit high you could try on a windy day which may bring them down a bit. Only one way to find out.

1 minute ago, aga man said:

I would also say never dismiss the turnips as a food source for pigeons. One farmer here grows turnips and kale on a valley side for sheep fodder and when we get snow it always has pigeons on it.

I think it is also down to what other food source is in the area , where they would hit a crop hard in one county , in the next they could well leave it alone .

We have got 3 / 4 fields of fodder Radish that is strip fed for the sheep , these fields are surrounded with rape fields and up to date there is no sign of any pigeon activity , and yet about a mile away they had started to lift the sugar beet , this morning when I drove past they had done one field and started on the next , the one that was finished was covered in pigeons eating on the tops , in fact the biggest amount I have seen this winter .

Thanks everyone for the great replies the birds are indeed heading a few fields down and across the road onto some rape fields I watched them yesterday for a few hrs

Went out today with all my gear Sat there for 2 hrs in the car waiting around and never saw a  bird but it was a different day today no wind  and drizzling most the day so gave up and came home 

Gear is still in the car so load gun Into the car tomorrow and see what it brings

Cheers

29 minutes ago, shawn9914 said:

Thanks everyone for the great replies the birds are indeed heading a few fields down and across the road onto some rape fields I watched them yesterday for a few hrs

Went out today with all my gear Sat there for 2 hrs in the car waiting around and never saw a  bird but it was a different day today no wind  and drizzling most the day so gave up and came home 

Gear is still in the car so load gun Into the car tomorrow and see what it brings

Cheers

GOOD LUCK for tomorrow , should be a mild bright day , by the way , why don't you make a few enquiries about who owns the rape fields , you never know and it could then give you a lot more options.