Loads of pigeons but it's turnips ???

shawn9914

That’s pigeons for you, I’ve been shooting the same field for the last three weeks or so, its been my go to field if I cannot find them elsewhere, it sounds like your wood and rape field are very similar, there is a very big wood about a mile away and its been full of pigeons resting up and then flighting to the rape fields, went out this Thursday and there was not a pigeon to be seen, think they will be back as the rape fields are one of a few without gas guns on, everyday is different with pigeons, can only suggest you keep an eye on it.

Might be worth just sitting it out for a few more hours just to see if they are hitting the rape later in the day or you could go for a drive round and see if you can find them.  

23 hours ago, yickdaz said:

set up at the face of the wood or the part they are flighting over and stick a rotary and some decoys out on the turnips  they might not be feeding on the field but I bet you will pull birds in 

I agree. A convincing spread will often fool pigeons to come for a look. I know you use this ploy well, and I have also had success doing this in the past.

I have recently seen the most pigeons that I have seen since October. I drove several miles through NW Norfolk yesterday, and saw hundreds of pigeons and pinks tucking in on the same sugar beet field. I saw loads on rape, and also a wheat field that was previously maize. That last field was absolutely covered in pigeons.

2 hours ago, motty said:

I agree. A convincing spread will often fool pigeons to come for a look. I know you use this ploy well, and I have also had success doing this in the past.

I have recently seen the most pigeons that I have seen since October. I drove several miles through NW Norfolk yesterday, and saw hundreds of pigeons and pinks tucking in on the same sugar beet field. I saw loads on rape, and also a wheat field that was previously maize. That last field was absolutely covered in pigeons.

I,ll be doing something very similar meself soon 

no doubt we will see a post or two from you in the coming weeks

19 minutes ago, yickdaz said:

I,ll be doing something very similar meself soon 

no doubt we will see a post or two from you in the coming weeks

Will be a few weeks before I get out again, unless of course, I spot a situation that I can't ignore. Still in wildfowling mode.