Snap Cap Tension

yorkkie

I use snap caps in my Sidelock sxs because it has leaf springs and out of the game  season is stored for long periods not used. Costs me nothing to do and may or may not work but it's my choice.

I never use them in any of my other guns as there all coil springs.

Edited by figgy

14 hours ago, DUNKS said:

Why do the top gun manufacturers  supply a pair of snap caps when you buy an expensive gun?

Why also in the instructions with my new Beretta does it insist you always use snap caps? Although they dont supply them.

:good:

I believe that we've had the correct answer and it's because unlike a rifle where the firing pin is fixed, those in a shot gun are free floating and will quite happily attempt to hammer themselves out of shape over time if not restrained should the owner wish to have dry firing practice.

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

:good:

I believe that we've had the correct answer and it's because unlike a rifle where the firing pin is fixed, those in a shot gun are free floating and will quite happily attempt to hammer themselves out of shape over time if not restrained should the owner wish to have dry firing practice.

Quite. Also Beretta suggest to store a gun you "fire" both barrels using snap caps then take off the fore end and barrels. This relaxes all the springs.

I have read that it does springs no harm to be stored compressed but I am inclined to take the word of the Beretta engineers. They have been at it an awful long time and in this respect can have no ulterior motive.

Edited by DUNKS

1 hour ago, DUNKS said:

Quite. Also Beretta suggest to store a gun you "fire" both barrels using snap caps then take off the fore end and barrels. This relaxes all the springs.

I have read that it does springs no harm to be stored compressed but I am inclined to take the word of the Beretta engineers. They have been at it an awful long time and in this respect can have no ulterior motive.

Please define storage in days, months or years, most shooters use their guns quite regularly.

Would you really worry about relieving the spring pressures for a month?

On 25/12/2018 at 13:13, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Please define storage in days, months or years, most shooters use their guns quite regularly.

Would you really worry about relieving the spring pressures for a month?

No need to get ****y about this my friend, I am quoting what I have read from Beretta not what I agree or do.

Beretta don't qualify a time so how the heck can I?

If you have a benelli 828u

It's advised to use snap caps in the instruction manual page 12

Strikers uncocking After unloading the shotgun and before placing it into its case, it is advisableto uncock the strikers to release the tension of the springs operating them.To release the strikers without damaging the firing pins, it is advis-able to use the proper “firing pin saving” blank cartridges (fig. 23) that allow “blank firing”.

1)Load the shotgun normally with “firing pin saving” blank car-tridges.

2)Pull the trigger to release the first striker.

3)Move the firing selector, pull the trigger and release the secondstriker. Now it is possible to place the shotgun into its case.

So there you go benelli advise snap cap use

Well said Scully, the title of this thread certainly was apt, odd how this subject seems to galvanise the opposing sides and opinions, at the end of the day we all do our own thing.

it seems to me that to save the springs, the snap cap has a sacrificial spring within, but, and it’s only my opinion, the only way to rest the springs in your gun completely and properly would be a component level strip down with all springs removed and stored in cotton wool lined boxes 😀

long may the debate continue 

Personal I don’t use them and after an incident a year or so ago I don’t recommend them especially out side of you storage area.  

After a king days shooting an experienced gun 30 plus years.  Put in his snap caps prior to putting his gun in the slip.  When he pulled the trigger there was a loud bang and a hole appeared through his left foot and in the mud under it.  

Everyone froze I made the gun safe ejecting a spent snap cap (actually a cartridge) and patch him up before getting him to A&E.  

Tired and distracted he reached into the wrong pocket, removed 2 cartridges from a pocket he never puts cartridges in and fail to check a few other bits.  

We can all make mistakes and only need to make one once to have an accident.  

Had a beretta 682 in storage for 6 years with no snap caps etc springs still work fine today and haven’t been replaced, don’t think a snap cap will make them last longer, any way a £20 spring set is cheap than my or even worse someone else’s toes etc. 

37 minutes ago, welshwarrior said:

Personal I don’t use them and after an incident a year or so ago I don’t recommend them especially out side of you storage area.  

After a king days shooting an experienced gun 30 plus years.  Put in his snap caps prior to putting his gun in the slip.  When he pulled the trigger there was a loud bang and a hole appeared through his left foot and in the mud under it.  

Everyone froze I made the gun safe ejecting a spent snap cap (actually a cartridge) and patch him up before getting him to A&E.  

Tired and distracted he reached into the wrong pocket, removed 2 cartridges from a pocket he never puts cartridges in and fail to check a few other bits.  

We can all make mistakes and only need to make one once to have an accident.  

Had a beretta 682 in storage for 6 years with no snap caps etc springs still work fine today and haven’t been replaced, don’t think a snap cap will make them last longer, any way a £20 spring set is cheap than my or even worse someone else’s toes etc. 

That says it all!

On 25/12/2018 at 20:47, DUNKS said:

No need to get ****y about this my friend, I am quoting what I have read from Beretta not what I agree or do.

Beretta don't qualify a time so how the heck can I?

Believe me I am not being ****y. I was asking a perfectly reasonable question, if you choose to accept what Beretta have written that is your call. Those of us who have owned Beretta's lovely guns for years choose to not bother.

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE
Syntax

I know this subject has been done to death in the past but I will just reiterate. Along with the other hazards mentioned if you do feel the need to use use snap caps please do not use the plastic ones, in the relatively short time I've been shooting I've seen 2 drop into the bores when the rims broke off. Undetected this could prove fatal.

To add I do drop the hammers on brass caps on my ancient boxlock  before removing them, after cleaning at home.

Edited by Mr.C

Sorry guys. OK it has been decided that to use or not to use is up to the individual and this is right. But to base a decision on a shooter who after 30 years of shooting still does not have a safe routine is silly. To start with snap caps and live cartridges should never be together. Why also would you want to use snap caps after a days shooting when within hours the gun will be broken down for cleaning.?

My snap caps when not in a gun live on top of the gun cabinet. Are taken out of the gun before the gun goes into it's slip and are returned to the gun before it's put into the cabinet after cleaning. THATS SAFE.  Having them in the same coat as live cartridges is foolish.

Edited by DUNKS

4 hours ago, DUNKS said:

Sorry guys. OK it has been decided that to use or not to use is up to the individual and this is right. But to base a decision on a shooter who after 30 years of shooting still does not have a safe routine is silly. To start with snap caps and live cartridges should never be together. Why also would you want to use snap caps after a days shooting when within hours the gun will be broken down for cleaning.?

My snap caps when not in a gun live on top of the gun cabinet. Are taken out of the gun before the gun goes into it's slip and are returned to the gun before it's put into the cabinet after cleaning. THATS SAFE.  Having them in the same coat as live cartridges is foolish.

I can only suggest that not using them at all causes no confusion and poses no risks to anything or anyone.