Part trained Labrador

tomaddy525

Be very careful several people had their fingers burned, lad posting about this just the other day on a gundog group on FB. 

There are some field trial lads who breed and keep several dogs back to run on, selling off as they go along so they end up with the best of the lot. 

What exactly are you after? And also what’s wrong with the dog you already have? 

You need to consider whether you can train the dog you already have, and if you can’t, is the new dog going to end up useless as well for the same reasons?

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

Be very careful several people had their fingers burned, lad posting about this just the other day on a gundog group on FB. 

There are some field trial lads who breed and keep several dogs back to run on, selling off as they go along so they end up with the best of the lot. 

What exactly are you after? And also what’s wrong with the dog you already have? 

You need to consider whether you can train the dog you already have, and if you can’t, is the new dog going to end up useless as well for the same reasons?

+1

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

Most field trial lads will keep many dogs and sell those that don’t make the grade or are retiring. That’s the name of the game, why would they sell something they feel can be successful?

A dog trained to FT standard is nothing to be worried about for 99% of shooters. 

1 hour ago, wj939 said:

Most field trial lads will keep many dogs and sell those that don’t make the grade or are retiring. That’s the name of the game, why would they sell something they feel can be successful?

A dog trained to FT standard is nothing to be worried about for 99% of shooters. 

Because you only have so much time... 

When breeding I knew several lads who trial that will keep 2 or even 3 pups out of the litter, the ones they like the best with the most style etc. They will keep them up until around 6 months of age when they can start doing a bit of proper training and then filter down, such as reducing 3 down to 2, then eventually 2 down to 1... or maybe keeping at 2, depends on them as an individual. 

Some lads will keep all of their pups... no point talking about them though because the OP wants to find someone who is selling one 😂

I'm not sure you understood my point about having fingers burned maybe? There have been a few people lately posting about how they bought "trained" dogs, only for them to have serious faults, one lad had a dog shown to him could do it all on dummy's... he paid a nice sum for it, only for the dog to be terrified of gunshots. 

I never said a dog trained to FT standards would be a worry? ... my pup is from strong FT lines and hes very chilled out and an absolute dream to train. My last pup didn't have any FT lines for the newest 3 generations and she was absolutely mental!! 

To me a dog trained to FT is a well trained dog that would be a pleasure to shoot over :)  ... a lot of dogs you see on shoots these days just about come back when called, and half the time they only do it when there isn't something better to do! 

Edited by Lloyd90

9 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Because you only have so much time... 

When breeding I knew several lads who trial that will keep 2 or even 3 pups out of the litter, the ones they like the best with the most style etc. They will keep them up until around 6 months of age when they can start doing a bit of proper training and then filter down, such as reducing 3 down to 2, then eventually 2 down to 1... or maybe keeping at 2, depends on them as an individual. 

Some lads will keep all of their pups... no point talking about them though because the OP wants to find someone who is selling one 😂

I'm not sure you understood my point about having fingers burned maybe? There have been a few people lately posting about how they bought "trained" dogs, only for them to have serious faults, one lad had a dog shown to him could do it all on dummy's... he paid a nice sum for it, only for the dog to be terrified of gunshots. 

I never said a dog trained to FT standards would be a worry? ... my pup is from strong FT lines and hes very chilled out and an absolute dream to train. My last pup didn't have any FT lines for the newest 3 generations and she was absolutely mental!! 

To me a dog trained to FT is a well trained dog that would be a pleasure to shoot over   ... a lot of dogs you see on shoots these days just about come back when called, and half the time they only do it when there isn't something better to do! 

I see your point Lloyd, maybe I didn’t make mine very well and I agree there are things to look out for when being demo’d any part trained dog. 

Speaking from experience; I’ve taken on part trained dogs and had a similar experience regarding gun shyness. I know this dog was never shy before, but a change of circumstances, new handler and a change of style put too much pressure on her too soon. After plenty of careful exposure she’s a pleasure to shoot over now and I decided to keep her myself.

Equally, I do a fair bit of training with the FT boys, I’ve also experienced the situation whereby I’ve taken on dogs at 6-9 months that don’t appear to be showing the same style as their siblings only to discover that a different handler and more one on one work has brought more out of them than thought possible. The point being, some mature later and benefit from a change of scenery. 

To the OP, before purchasing any part trained dog, most reputable trainers will allow you a few days with the dog to see if it works out for handler and canine. There are a number of trainers out there specifically working to meet the requirements you have, labs and spaniels brought on to a decent level for folks that don’t have time to train their own from pups. Expect to pay a minimum of £1500 for a young part trained lab (my part trained is handles well onto blinds, shot over and steady to sit and has picked warm game) for fully trained you’d add runners and complex retrieves to that- expect to pay £2,000+ for fully trained and with proper experience.

5 hours ago, wj939 said:

I see your point Lloyd, maybe I didn’t make mine very well and I agree there are things to look out for when being demo’d any part trained dog. 

Speaking from experience; I’ve taken on part trained dogs and had a similar experience regarding gun shyness. I know this dog was never shy before, but a change of circumstances, new handler and a change of style put too much pressure on her too soon. After plenty of careful exposure she’s a pleasure to shoot over now and I decided to keep her myself.

Equally, I do a fair bit of training with the FT boys, I’ve also experienced the situation whereby I’ve taken on dogs at 6-9 months that don’t appear to be showing the same style as their siblings only to discover that a different handler and more one on one work has brought more out of them than thought possible. The point being, some mature later and benefit from a change of scenery. 

To the OP, before purchasing any part trained dog, most reputable trainers will allow you a few days with the dog to see if it works out for handler and canine. There are a number of trainers out there specifically working to meet the requirements you have, labs and spaniels brought on to a decent level for folks that don’t have time to train their own from pups. Expect to pay a minimum of £1500 for a young part trained lab (my part trained is handles well onto blinds, shot over and steady to sit and has picked warm game) for fully trained you’d add runners and complex retrieves to that- expect to pay £2,000+ for fully trained and with proper experience.

Bang on mate :)

I know some of the lads who sell on pups to shooting only homes when filtering down and not to other triallers so it doesn't come back to "haunt them later on" as they put it lol! 

I'd echo llyds 1st post and get ur dog looked at by a trainer, even get some 1-1 lessons.

Even if u are correct and ur dog will never make it the lessons will be useful for ur new dog. In most cases it is woner/handler error when a dogs fails to make the grade (atleast at working levels).

I see many folk in my area who have had dogs for 30+ years and there dogs still have the same flaws generations later as they repeat the same mistakes and more often than not the new pup learns the same bad habits of the old dog.

So just be aware if ur old dog has a few ba habits no doubt ur new dog will pick up on them

Just wondering what the op in the first post , or anyone else come to that do with a dog in the ops words is, useless ?

I have had Labradors for around 50 odd years and if I am honest none of them were nowhere good enough for field trials , when I say none of them I dare say the faults were more down to the  trainer than the dogs ability .

Some of them might had started there early years as  (useless) but everyone finished there working life as my loyal companions , were a credit to take shooting and to me worth there weight in gold , I only wish they were still here. 

7 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Just wondering what the op in the first post , or anyone else come to that do with a dog in the ops words is, useless ?

I have had Labradors for around 50 odd years and if I am honest none of them were nowhere good enough for field trials , when I say none of them I dare say the faults were more down to the  trainer than the dogs ability .

Some of them might had started there early years as  (useless) but everyone finished there working life as my loyal companions , were a credit to take shooting and to me worth there weight in gold , I only wish they were still here. 

+1 :good:

I'll echo that Marsh Man.   I've bred and trained my own dogs for nigh on 50 years too.

Had some good ones and some not so good ones - But never a useless one.   They all made some sort of grade in the end.   All went fowling and picking up.   Never trained a field trial dog because I never tried to.   Not my thing at all.   My latest companion is probably the most challenging I have ever had.   Purchased this one at nine months old.   Thought, at one stage, he would be the useless one but he is now fowling, stalking, foxing and picking up.   Picked his first goose just two weeks ago.   He will never be brilliant but we are getting there and he is a hell of a lot of fun to be with.   Never a dull moment when Noodle is about!

The useless dog is just that. Useless. He is probably the most naturally gifted dog I've ever had and has already pulled off some fantastic retrieves, BUT it is impossible to take him anywhere. If beating he runs straight towards the sound of the first shot, hence knackering the drive. Then when stood with the gun he will bark at me to no end - so much so I have had to pack up early from wildfowling flights to avoid upsetting others. I have trained many excellent labradors but this one is just a headcase, shame really as he has all the potential and is a lovely dog in the house.

I have the opposite a truly gifted dog. My dog would win every trial entered and he would be a field champion. 

His owner however is utter carp and does not put the time in, or have a clue so dog is held back and does not have a chance.

Despite his neglected up bringing and the delinquent contribution from his owner he is doing most things i ask of him. I never appreciated how much natural instinct a gun dog could have until i got this gun dog ( my first).

8 hours ago, oowee said:

I have the opposite a truly gifted dog. My dog would win every trial entered and he would be a field champion. 

His owner however is utter carp and does not put the time in, or have a clue so dog is held back and does not have a chance.

Despite his neglected up bringing and the delinquent contribution from his owner he is doing most things i ask of him. I never appreciated how much natural instinct a gun dog could have until i got this gun dog ( my first).

I do wonder then, if it is a skewed opinion, being as it is your first dog.

On 26/12/2018 at 10:57, tomaddy525 said:

The useless dog is just that. Useless. He is probably the most naturally gifted dog I've ever had and has already pulled off some fantastic retrieves, BUT it is impossible to take him anywhere. If beating he runs straight towards the sound of the first shot, hence knackering the drive. Then when stood with the gun he will bark at me to no end - so much so I have had to pack up early from wildfowling flights to avoid upsetting others. I have trained many excellent labradors but this one is just a headcase, shame really as he has all the potential and is a lovely dog in the house.

I could put you in touch with someone who could supply you with a trained dog depending on budget.

pm me if you want to speak.👍

On 26/12/2018 at 21:27, motty said:

I do wonder then, if it is a skewed opinion, being as it is your first dog.

Everyone always think's their dog is great unless you see on that is truly amazing.

Personally I always thought my old dogs were rubbish, until I went to a working test and thought "Jesus my old dog would have won this easy" as she absolutely smashed cover, whilst a lot of these hunting spaniels just seemed to plod along... 

On 26/12/2018 at 12:28, oowee said:

All down to what you want him for Grant, clearly he makes you happy and you enjoy shooting over him so that's brilliant. 

A dog that is brilliant to one man, wouldn't even be given space in someone else's kennel... everyone wants different things and expects different levels of skills. If you do want to see some quality dogs you can always go along to field trials and help out. I game carried on the Badminton estate, a real good dog is a sight to behold, as long as you know what your looking for!