feeders

single barrel

Should work as long as they don't decide to chew their way in.  It is amazing how quickly they learn to lift the lid. Mine are mainly made out of ally and I drill a few holes in the front which helps to direct them to the lid and also the birds can feed there as well and their activity draws the attention of the squirrels.  On new sets I prop the lid with  short bit of stick so that it will fall out once the lid is moved ..that works as well, plus a smear of peanut butter.

Well done that keeper indeed, deserves a bottle for Christmas.

Edited by Walker570

I found that having a solid bottom you end up with rotting crud. Mine have a weldmesh bottom and I use a jar for the nuts, which can be changed/ washed. Being in an area with Red an Greys we need to be able to clean them.

With the hinged metal lid the contents stay mostly dry.

Edited by Fisheruk

Why I went to ally for my feeders, but even then they will get chewed.  I have not had any problems with 'crud' waste on the bottom, when they clean up they clean up.  My first ones I built with the grid bottom but found that mice could get ip in there so went for fully enclosed.  I have made some hopper style flip tops where I sometimes cannot visit that often, that way they don't run out.   Whichever way the idea certainly works. I have made a couple for  friends and they are amazed at just how quickly they learn where the food is.  As much as I hate the things, I do admire their intelligence.

DSCF2121 (800x533).jpg

4 hours ago, single barrel said:

cheers walker570.  cracking photos fisheruk thanks ive got 1 inch wire kicking about.il give it a try

You need much finer weld mesh, 10mm otherwise the mice get in.

I also use Stainless Steel cable ties to strap them to the tree trunk, it stops the blighters chewing them off and if I am using the shotgun the ties survive.

Edited by Fisheruk

cheers for that walker570, you wouldn't happen to have any pics of the ally ones you use now, I could copy,?

cheers fisheruk ive just acquired some mild steel galvanised plate with holes in which I can re drill to a bigger size and use for the base,.

cheers fellas, and all the very best for Christmas and the new year, have a great one 

A couple of photos. Note the extension of the lid at the back bent down, that is to stop the lid being pushed back to far and not dropping back when the squirrels backs out.  The frame to sit the feeder on can be made from anything.  Yes you can drill holes in the bottom and I do but only to let any rainwater out that might get in. I have six of these on the go and do not have any problems with stuff getting in the bottom. If they clear them out it is usually pretty clean.  The one with the ally frame is designed to let the 'box' be removed anyway leaving the frame on the tree.  I drill 1/4 inch holes in the front, it lets the little birds feed and makes snifing holes for any new squirrels.  Initially a smear of peanut butter helps and on a new set I put a bit of stick under the lid, propping it up but so it will fall out if dusturbed and that way you know if you have had a visitor. I also smooth the peanuts across the front so I can se if any have gone.

The advatage of ally is it goes TINK if you get a visitor and happen to have nodded off in your blind....yes it has happened to me.

20180510_120354 (450x800).jpg

012.JPG

My lids are also metal, anything from a square cut out of an old non stick frying pan which has lost it’s non stick to squares cut out of a galvanised boiler mounting back plate. Yes, I too have been woken from a slumber against a tree trunk by the chink of a lid dropping!

Look closely on the first pictures and you will see the 'hinges' are in fact a piece of hard wire puhed through and bent over either side. just drill holes in line and it works a treat.  I had a spare small door hinge handy which went on this one.   You can bend the piece at the back on the first pictures till it comes into contact with the back before the lid goes too high and will not close under it's own weight.   The hopper type just have an extension up at the back, I'll sort a photo.

Can only find this one but it shows how the box is extended up at the back as a hopper, the sloping lid is there to keep the rain of the flip top area. On that flip top you can see a small 'flange' sticking up which is again to stop the lid going too far back.

Saw one or two monster rats last night probably responsible for that hole.

030.jpg

Edited by Walker570

• 2 weeks later...

I know I'm being a pedant here but .. Why put the base board straight out from the feeder ? If you have it there the squirrels tend to sit between you and the feeder to eat their nut, so you end up shooting the box as well as the rat.. Put the board across the base of the feeder and the squirrels sit on there at the side of the box (usually with a tree-trunk behind them) feeling lovely and safe all snuggled into a nice corner with a tree at their back. They sit better, giving you a clear shot, and you don't end up having to re-enforce the box to withstand being shot because you dont shoot it.

I always set my feeders sideways to the line of fire, so they sit out in the open.  They will climb up pop their heads in for a second or two , come out with a peanut and imediately sit and start to eat it, perfect for the shot.   The photo I put on here a couple of weeks back where I did hit the side of my ally feeder that was a magpie which just landed and it's body was inline. No hesitation it got shot but the pellet penetrated and then went through the ally !!!  They only payse for a second so have to be hit where they land.  A rat with a nice juicy peanut will sit motionless for a long time.

032.JPG

Edited by Walker570