Payne Galway PB Brush

wymberley

There are (or were) Payne Galway brushes and Napier Payne Galway brushes but it seems to me that the latter have now also gone to the dogs. The 12 bore barrel brush used to last for ever but now just a few months if you're lucky. I will admit that I've not used it as yet, but have just got a 10 bore chamber version for my 12 barrels and I can't really see that lasting either.

Does anyone know of an alternative quality maker of the original standard even though it might cost an extra few bob?

In answer to your question,  NO. I have found the same thing, the materials and workmanship are rubbish, however by choosing a relatively clean cartridge and adjusting my cleaning routine I can make the 'Bisley' PG style brush last for over 12 months. If my barrels are badly fouled, I use GT85 spray cleaner down each tube and leave them flat on the bench for around 15 minutes. I then make a ball of kitchen towel for each tube and using the old brush, shove that through. I then switch brushes for the newer one and clean in the normal way. I do leave the brushes in white spirit for a couple of days, when they look too dirty. This does 'freshen' them up a bit. The last new brush was around £6 and if it lasts for 12 months  ??

Edited by Westley

Cheers. Can't fault your logic, but after decades of simply using either OX 18 or 24 and a relatively straightforward quick scrub it grates a tad having now to start faffing about. And I'm not holding my breath for an understanding reply to my e-mail from Napier.

Edit: There'd be no chance if I told them what I thought about the 10 bore brush which I've just tried and thrown straight in the bin.

Edited by wymberley

I have bought both brass and fibre Payne Galway pattern brushes from William Powell in the past - and they have always been good.  They have lasted so well, that I don't know if the current ones are the same as the (many years old) ones have never needed replacement.

https://www.williampowell.com/shooting--gundogs/shooting/gun-care--cleaning/payne-galway-brass-brush_gc214

https://www.williampowell.com/shooting--gundogs/shooting/gun-care--cleaning/payne-galway-bristle-brush-barrel-cleaner_gc215

The brass looks in the photo less 'dense' than my old one, though the fibre looks the same ........ but you never know if the photos are 'up to date' with the latest stock.

19 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Can't help thinking that ultimately these now all come from the same source.

You are probably right.  My Powell one was bought long before they left 35 Carr's Lane in Birmingham, so probably over 20 years ago.  It is denser than the modern ones look to be.  It is kept (to prevent loosing shape) in a piece of copper water pipe.  It must have been used on average at least once a week for over 20 years, washed in petrol occasionally, but still in excellent shape  and a good 'cleaning' fit in the barrels.  the fibre one I use to spread a very thin oil film after the cleaning.

9 hours ago, sabel25 said:

I use a payne galway phosferous bronze 12g brush and have had the same one for some 3 to 4 years and find it spot on

Must have been lucky one would say But have the same in 20g and 16g and so far have had no complaints

Yep, it''s only more recently that they've gone downhill. Mind you, they're still better than the more conventional spiral wound ones so if you've not had the original PGs then it'll be hard to appreciate their advantage.

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/12/2018 at 13:46, JohnfromUK said:

This is my old brass brush - and its home made cover

Brass brush 1.jpeg

Brass brush 2.jpeg

John,

Continue to look after it. My apologies to Napier as I've now received a reply - albeit not a good one:

" They were originally all made from Phosphor bronze which is no longer available, and are now made from Brass wire bristles.  All made in India now days and we are dependent on the 3 factories that can still produce. "