A spotter

Walker570

Just got into the NV scene and found that pointing a rifle about to see what was about was not on, so devised my own, but before I could use that my Game Keeper friend showed my an IR spotter he had purchased on e bay for £80...a Digital Night Vision Monocular to be precise.  Had a look at it and decided at that price worth a go.   BOBLOV is the name and obviously made in the far east.

It also doubles as a still and video camera.   

I had a read of the instructions and took it out last night to give it a try and I was not disappointed. It has it's own built in IR but also has a rail where you can put a more powerful one, so I put the extrra lamp on but found I did not need it as running the fixed IR at it's second setting was more than enough to clearly see rabbits at 150yrds and see and identify munties at 250. In fact the illumination reached out to the edge of a wood which is across a second field and a good 350yrds away.  The on off button is a bit tricky to find in the dark and I will stick an indicator of some sort so I can feel where it is.  I don't intend using the camera so really don't need to use those buttons.  Rechargeable battery supplied with all relevant cables and connections and it comes in a tidy black carrying case.

All in all , so far,  I am more than pleased with my purchase.  If I have one minus thing to say, then the fact the lowest magnification is 5 and could do with being 2 or 3 for close up work from a high seat for instance. Had two munties walk out right under me and was lucky to see them, infortunately they proceeded to walk the whole length of the field and even when I squeeked they just rotated their heads and looked back not turning as I hoped.  Old buck sniffing a first time young doe I believe.  

I digress ...Yes, I think if you are looking for a cheap easy to use spotter, then this unti lookes like it will do the job.  At that price you could buy a new one each year and still not cost as much as some crazy expensive units.

001.JPG

I have an add on NV in fact two. I was given one but had already ordered one from DaveG on here.  Dave's unit is excellent and easily reaches out to 250 plus yards. The other which I repaired also does the job out to 150 and will probably be matched to an air rifle for ratting.  BUT swinging a rifle round to view what is about is a) cumbersome and b) ####!!! dangerous.

That is the reason I was taken with this Boblov unit.   It has a strap like a video camera for your hand to fit in and the on off switch is located right where your index finger fits. Very easy to pan round and see what is about, then put it to one side or let it hang on the neck strap and go to th rifle.  Out of a high seat or truck window it would/does work fine.

It will light up a 100yrds on the low IR setting but I found the middle setting best.

Re reading the instructions .....always need to read them half a dozen times...... it appears the range is x1 to x8 so I must have a play and see if I can get mine down to about x2 which would be perfect because I don't need to fully identify muntie from fox just that some 4 legged animal is out there and have a wider field of view. Then go to the rifle NV.

Prices did vary a bit from supplier to supplier and I did not choose the cheapest... err £86 or thereabouts.  The camo one does look the same but as photo shows mine is black.  I did notice that there was one or two VERY similar units with different names but having handled the  BOBLOV and looked through it that was the one I went for.

Just a word of help. Looking through any of these units makes that eye go a bit weird.  I close both eyes and count to 8 or 10 then reopen and the distortion has gone.

It's not serious just feels a bit funny and is fine to go from the spotter to the scope without any problem.

Edited by Walker570

40 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Yes it works in daylight, don't know about ranging as I know my ground intimately, make a point of checking all possibilities, so know within a few yards where the target is standing. 

I don't have a use for it in daylight as I use my binos.

Oh ok....I know BOBLOV do another NV spotter with range finder but it does not look as good as your one. Thanks for your reply