Shotgun Cert renewal

Gunman

I have received from West Mercia Police an invitation to re-new my SGC [expires 2021] early as the say that due to the extension from 3 to 5 years in 1995 , 23 years ago , they have busy periods for 3 years and slack periods for 2 years . So by renewing it now will take future renewals into the "slack " period . Charges to be por rata taking into account the time left. 

Surely after 23 years they should have got there act together and assuming that not all certificates expire at the same time I can not see the reason for this . 

Any one else had this 

27 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Shame that the authorities do not go for a rolling 10 year SGC, that way they could have a semblance of control over the renewals and might be able to even out the workload of the hardpressed FEO's.

And a ten year certificate would mean that the police firearms dept's current five year workload would be spread over ten years! Effectively halving the workload.......the police are constantly blaming staffing levels for delays, and workload as an excuse to lobby for increases in the cost of certification, a halving of their workload would make their demands for an increase irrelevant? At the same time they could then perhaps deal with firearm certification, in a proper, timely fashion, rather than the ridiculous amount of time they take presently!

But that would be too simple for plod!

As I moved house and police areas in Oct 2017 and did not actually get my new cert till Jan 2018 , due to difficulty in contacting the FEO and delays in his coming back to me . 

Surely it would have been more sensible to have done it then or to have requested that the cert was renewed at hat time .

I still do not see why there is busy and slack years .

Just now, Gunman said:

As I moved house and police areas in Oct 2017 and did not actually get my new cert till Jan 2018 , due to difficulty in contacting the FEO and delays in his coming back to me . 

Surely it would have been more sensible to have done it then or to have requested that the cert was renewed at hat time .

I still do not see why there is busy and slack years .

Do not mention sensible in the same sentence as firearms Licensing! You know that does not come in to it!:rolleyes:

S

1 minute ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Do not mention sensible in the same sentence as firearms Licensing! You know that does not come in to it!:rolleyes:

Sorry for my slipping into the realms of fantasy , but , it is after all the season of good will to all men. 😊

1 minute ago, Dibble said:

Would the new certificate run for 5 years or 7, if it's 5 you would be loosing 2 years of payments.

When they solved all issues of social deprivation and drug dealing in Scotland by licensing air rifles the first batch of certificates were for varying periods at different costs.

The fee was calculated to take into account the remaining years on the current cert .

A simple 1 year extension [in my case 3/6 months ] would also ease their "problems ". 

I had this with Northumbria a few years ago, got a phone call basically saying my renewal was due in a years time, they were quiet and did I want to renew early at a reduced rate. I said yes did the paperwork sent it off, week later new docs arrived. 

Can't see the problem, thought they were being very proactive in bringing some renewals forward at a quiet time.

hello, just done mine with TVP,  £25 for both FAC/ shotgun, not sure on Doctors cost yet but once i got the references sorted again filled in all the relevant info and sent registered, then got a txt to say thanks and will be about 12 weeks, i know TVP have reduced staff levels so i thought was no problem, 

On 23/12/2018 at 18:52, Gunman said:

I have received from West Mercia Police an invitation to re-new my SGC [expires 2021] early as the say that due to the extension from 3 to 5 years in 1995 , 23 years ago , they have busy periods for 3 years and slack periods for 2 years . So by renewing it now will take future renewals into the "slack " period . Charges to be por rata taking into account the time left. 

Surely after 23 years they should have got there act together and assuming that not all certificates expire at the same time I can not see the reason for this . 

Any one else had this 

Yes, been there, done that.  Mine was renewed 2 years early.

• 4 weeks later...
On 25/12/2018 at 08:57, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, just done mine with TVP,  £25 for both FAC/ shotgun, not sure on Doctors cost yet but once i got the references sorted again filled in all the relevant info and sent registered, then got a txt to say thanks and will be about 12 weeks, i know TVP have reduced staff levels so i thought was no problem, 

hello, just an update, had the FEO visit on monday but declined my tea and biscuits ha ha, anyway he was satisfied with my early renewal application,cabinets shotguns and rifle, ammo box, key safe, references, gave me an open FAC ticket/ no Dr costs  so good to 2025, will have to change PW name to very oldy OPP:lol:

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/12/2018 at 18:52, Gunman said:

Any one else had this 

I’ve taken up this kind offer from West Mercia Constabulary but have now been hit with a £118 invoice from my doctor for a report for WMC. I have no medical issues at all and said so on the renewal application. According to Home Office guidance there is no need for a report, just a flag to be put on my medical record as a licence holder. Anyone else being stung like this and what did you do? I am at present being held hostage but doctors acting contrary to Home Office guidance or at least that is how it seems. Be interested in experience of others. Cheers.

8 hours ago, spot.ontheroad said:

I’ve taken up this kind offer from West Mercia Constabulary but have now been hit with a £118 invoice from my doctor for a report for WMC. I have no medical issues at all and said so on the renewal application. According to Home Office guidance there is no need for a report, just a flag to be put on my medical record as a licence holder. Anyone else being stung like this and what did you do? I am at present being held hostage but doctors acting contrary to Home Office guidance or at least that is how it seems. Be interested in experience of others. Cheers.

I took up the same offer last year (in February).  I similarly had a demand from my Doctors (£40 in my case).  Like you, I have none of the listed medical issues.  I took BASCs advice NOT to pay the doctor.  Everything went into 'pause', which didn't greatly bother me as my old certificate was still valid.

At the Game Fair last year (July), West Mercia Firearms Dept were present on the BASC stand, and I asked for an update there.  The ladies on the stand checked their laptop ..... and told me my case was with the FEO.  I asked them to 'chase him up'.  The following week I had a call from the FEO to arrange a visit, which took place shortly afterwards.  Pleasant friendly chat with FEO - explained I took statins and blood pressure medication on medical advice, but no other issues. 

New license arrived a few days later.  No payment has been made to the doctor.  If you are in BASC, speak to them, follow their advice.