What Are Your Plans For The Big Day ( Boxing Day )

marsh man

Up until a few years ago the day of the shooting calendar I most looked forward to was the 1st of September , now as I no longer go on the 1st my first choice is now Boxing day , since the first day of married life I have never made plans for Boxing Day to spend with the wife or family , I go with the flow on Christmas day and then I have a total free hand to do what I want and go where I want on the next day .

In my own mind I have a plan but in reality the weather is the deciding factor .

At the moment around our way it should be a half tidy day , if that was the case in the morning I will walk some rough fields that are close to an Industrial estate , with it being Boxing day there shouldn't be any places working and there might be a chance at a Pheasant , if the afternoon I have got two fields of old Mustard plants that have produced a few long tails over the last few weeks , then to end the day I will come back to some marshes I go on that have only recently have got enough water on them to warrant a duck flight .

That is how my day will be planed , but a phone call the night before could easily put paid to my well rehearsed plan.

So will you be shooting Boxing Day and if so at what ??

Eldest son and girlfriend coming for lunch time feast. They're very happy and getting their first house together in march. Shooting has to wait until later in the week. Boxing Day back in Somerset years ago was always a big one, out all day, anything was fair game, used to walk miles. Great memories.

There sounds some good days , and to me , some not so good , still its all down to what you like doing and to keep a happy house hold , one reason I enjoy doing my own thing on Boxing day   , if I want to stay longer in one place I can, or if I decide to alter my plan then I don't have to worry about letting anyone down , not only that if you got a young family it is only fair to spend time at home over the festive period .

If I could pick one of the above it would be , beating at Floors Castle , sound like a cracking day in superb countryside .

Still , whatever you are doing on my big day , weather it is with family or out in the fresh air have a good , enjoyable and above all a safe day.

All the very best to one and all🎅

Its the last chill day of my holidays before heading back to Manilla. I have a bike on hire so will probably ride north to one of the beaches. Its not a propper Christmas holiday when i can't do a bit of shooting.

Looking forward to getting home, and picking the dog up from the farm. Then we have to go up north for a New Year party before finally getting home in January. 

Incide ntaly it's already Christmas day for people here. 

Have a good one.