HALFORDS FREE MOTs !!!!!!!!!

oldypigeonpopper

hello, i do not know if any PW member see this as above, a special offer if you made a purchase in any Halfords store back a few months, you had until some time in 2019 to claim, son wanted a new tyre pump, £9.99, got my free entry numbers and now have a MOT booked in, do you think they will try and scam me for some thing wrong on my motor, only 4000 miles since last years pass, and yes it happens, my son just had his car serviced by ATS, they said to pass the MOT needs a new coil spring but you have to have both done, and a steering rubber gaiter is split/damadged, £200 plus cost,  decided to see what the MOT garage say, replace 1 spring as all required, nothing wrong with gaiters,  lets see on Halfords 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

make them walk around and show you and  explain their findings and question every thing may up in a full mot without repairs  many years ago  my girlfriend / wife took her mini 950 for an mot at Halfords     failure said rear subframe needed replacing at a cost f £900.00 so I questioned and had it back on the ramp ended up a £3.50 shock rubber bush  replacement  so the said car went through another eight mot s and none mentioned subframe failure          engine failure meant no longer an economical repair so scrapped but body brakes still roadworthy 

the morel of the story get a second  opinion from an all round nuts and local mechanic / back street does it for a living all round guy relies on repeat business the way forward   all the best going forward 

Edited by Saltings

8 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i do not know if any PW member see this as above, a special offer if you made a purchase in any Halfords store back a few months, you had until some time in 2019 to claim, son wanted a new tyre pump, £9.99, got my free entry numbers and now have a MOT booked in, do you think they will try and scam me for some thing wrong on my motor, only 4000 miles since last years pass, and yes it happens, my son just had his car serviced by ATS, they said to pass the MOT needs a new coil spring but you have to have both done, and a steering rubber gaiter is split/damadged, £200 plus cost,  decided to see what the MOT garage say, replace 1 spring as all required, nothing wrong with gaiters,  lets see on Halfords 

just to add if they fail it with spurious faults can i still drive it home as the MOT still has time before the end date, ? 

10 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

just to add if they fail it with spurious faults can i still drive it home as the MOT still has time before the end date, ? 

Yes as long as the current MOT is still in effect. I asked the MOT tester this question last year.

I use an old (v reg) Saxo as a runaround to take the Dogs out and last year she failed the MOT - document said " front brake shoes unsecured" - tester said that there were no split pins in the pad bolts. Got her home and took the wheels off - Saxo's don't have a clip thru the pins, they are push fit with a weird twisted wire arrangement behind the pad - both of which were present and correct.

6 minutes ago, sportsbob said:

I believe that MOT faults that are now classed as "dangerous" void any remaining MOT so driving it on the highway would also void your insurance under the Ts & Cs of your insurer. 

Yep this is correct. I asked the question last year before the new classes of fault came out. Apologies for giving you the wrong info OPP. :good:

I own an mot station and the above is correct if the test station says the vehicle is dangerous you are not able to drive it away from there legally

Also be careful with Halfords and any other large chain they are all on profit related pay and must up sell its part of their wage structure hence they will find everything they can

We had a young lady book her car in for rear axle bushes to be replaced on a Honda that Halfords had failed it on the mot we had it up on the ramp and could find nothing at all wrong with the bushes they were not even a slight advise they were fine she took it back and they said it was hard to see on their ramp as it was a 4 post lift not a 2 post, thing is we checked it on one of out 4 post lifts 1st and it was easy to see they were ok

Be careful my advise would be pay your money and go find a decent small independent garage and avoid the large chains 

Lad who works for me used to run a depot of a large fast fit chain and one day area manager came in with 12 cans of WD40 told my mate to tell staff to spray all rear shockers with WD40 and tell customers they are leaking as they had an offer on rear shockers that month and needed to get sales up which is a terrible way to run a business

3 hours ago, walshie said:

Yes as long as the current MOT is still in effect. I asked the MOT tester this question last year.

That's not what I believe to be the case, as soon as your fail is logged onto the computer your car will be registering as no MOT on ANPR by the following day.

Edited by Vince Green

1 minute ago, Vince Green said:

That's not what I believe to be the case, as soon as your fail is logged onto the computer your car will be registering as no MOT on ANPR by the following day

That's not what it is now with the new classification of faults if one of them is classed as dangerous, but it definitely was last year. I thought it was the case, but checked with the MOT station. It still applies now if the fault is not in the dangerous category. 

Just now, walshie said:

That's not what it is now with the new classification of faults if one of them is classed as dangerous, but it definitely was last year. I thought it was the case, but checked with the MOT station. It still applies now if the fault is not in the dangerous category. 

Yes but you are going to have a job talking your way out of it when you get pulled over by a police car who's ANPR is saying no mot

Just now, Vince Green said:

Yes but you are going to have a job talking your way out of it when you get pulled over by a police car who's ANPR is saying no mot

Not when you produce your still valid MOT. :good:Anyway, most cops know the score. Legal is legal.

It's stated in black and white on the link sportsbob added above. 

Or, direct from the gov.uk website...

Driving a vehicle that’s failed

You can take your vehicle away if:

• your current MOT certificate is still valid
  • no ‘dangerous’ problems were listed in the MOT

Otherwise, you’ll need to get it repaired before you can drive.

I really carnt believe anybody takes their car to Halfords . I use a local garage for my servicing and repairs and mot . He services my l200 to full Mitsubishi spec to preserve the warranty at half the price . He gives me a copy of the in voice for all the parts purchased and puts all the parts changed in a box .

harnser

My car last year had an ‘advisory’ which I hadn’t rectified as it was a minor split in the cv gaiter ( lazy I know, but it’s my airport car so doesn’t exactly get used much)

I, as did the OP, receive the voucher for an MOT via Halfords

Took up the offer and on the appointed day pitched up and asked to use the Viewing area- slightly bemused as they have apparently not used this area in some time.

Anyway, conclusion of the matter was once again the gaitor split was picked up and also an advisory issued for front discs. A quotation was provided but was placed under no undue pressure at all to accept- so I drove away with my fresh MOT and duly set about purchasing some discs/ pads and a new cv gaiter.

Boy oh boy did the gaitor need doing as it had split quite considerably by this point and most, if not all of the grease was flung on the inside of the rim and suspension components and the disc were rather ‘dished’ 

So new parts fitted and jobs a good un, we have another voucher to use when the wife’s car comes up next April

‘it’s an MOT’ , by law they can’t just go around failing vehicles as they never know if they are being subjected to a VOSA check or not.

I thought “it’s free” , what do I have to loose but, I stand to gain a free MOT if it passed...

Not all garages are out to rip you off, doesn’t matter if it’s a franchise or your local Singleton, if they want to ‘drum up’ work then any of them could find faults.