HALFORDS FREE MOTs !!!!!!!!!

oldypigeonpopper

its all about up selling to the un suspecting motorist who doesn't know how to check oil water brake fluid or power steering fluid etc  much less know about underside of the vehicle  if they fail on the mot you have to have it repaired or have towed away depending on classification of failure and this is down to the testers opinion on the day  take a car to a number of testing stations you will get a different failure on each and some overlapping failures  and is the opinion of the tester  that said vehicle is safe on that day   also certain vehicles have weak points re mot failures  claims of springs broken shock failures tyres below legal limits etc  not too many years back had a new van at 8k after three years first mot been serviced every year by main dealer for mot failed on all four tyres and two rear shocks and a rear spring broken etc I say put it on the ramp and show me    rear spring parabolic not broken both shocks dry and when un bolted resistance in both directions so all good tyres had app 1.8mm over the wear stops a building site tongue lashing was dealt out to the tester and manager very embarrassed free mot apologised for the inconvenience never used them again  settled on a local garage without agenda does mot with or without repairs no dramas ever since 

On ‎26‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 23:17, Jaymo said:

‘it’s an MOT’ , by law they can’t just go around failing vehicles as they never know if they are being subjected to a VOSA check or not.

I thought “it’s free” , what do I have to loose but, I stand to gain a free MOT if it passed...

Not all garages are out to rip you off, doesn’t matter if it’s a franchise or your local Singleton, if they want to ‘drum up’ work then any of them could find faults.

like others have said, halfords and others are used by the less knowledgeable car drivers, they will hint that things need fixing that simply don't, went in a Kwik fit or ats? Years ago in the wifes car, exhaust was blowing something awful, i asked if they do weld it while i waited " no sir, afraid you'll need a new back box coming in at £200 ish!!!! My local garage welded it three days later for about £30.

7 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Welding up a a split box is a short term solution so you would still have needed a new section down the line, so your paying twice.

Exhaust split most likely due to corrosion so your just delaying the inevitable 

Welding or patching a box can more than double the life of a box so it can be very cost effective. Most boxes go rusty and split where there is a weld or rolled seam my approach  in the past has been to use silicone sealer and to pop rivet a patch over the split. This method seals the gasses which by law is all that is required and by using rivets the plating from the good section is not destroyed by the heat caused by welding.

The split under the patch will continue to grow and depending on the size of the patch, outgrow it! Also if it’s corroded from the inside to to often short journeys then often some baffling also detaches causing rattles and such like. But no doubt, it’s a cheap fix and if you not concerned about those two possibilities, then go for it.

21 hours ago, Jaymo said:

The split under the patch will continue to grow and depending on the size of the patch, outgrow it! Also if it’s corroded from the inside to to often short journeys then often some baffling also detaches causing rattles and such like. But no doubt, it’s a cheap fix and if you not concerned about those two possibilities, then go for it.

I`m sorry but you are wrong, the box in question was plated from end to end so the split can not outgrow the patch and there is no internal baffling attached to the outer casing in the area effected so far it has lasted well over a year and I am now in the process of replacing the whole car. 😀👍 result.

On 23/12/2018 at 23:32, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i do not know if any PW member see this as above, a special offer if you made a purchase in any Halfords store back a few months, you had until some time in 2019 to claim, son wanted a new tyre pump, £9.99, got my free entry numbers and now have a MOT booked in, do you think they will try and scam me for some thing wrong on my motor, only 4000 miles since last years pass, and yes it happens, my son just had his car serviced by ATS, they said to pass the MOT needs a new coil spring but you have to have both done, and a steering rubber gaiter is split/damadged, £200 plus cost,  decided to see what the MOT garage say, replace 1 spring as all required, nothing wrong with gaiters,  lets see on Halfords 

hello, just to say after much deliberation i took the motor to a local garage i have known many years and passed ok,