This was a strange one.

JDog

My Beretta A400 Lite was recently advertised for sale. One gentleman called several times to make an appointment to come and view. The day before an agreed date he called to say that he wouldn’t be coming but a friend of his would turn up instead. I simply said that the friend should bring a current SGC and another proof of identity and the cash and that I would be happy to complete the transaction with him should he choose to buy it.

A very nice chap turned up and I showed him into my man cave. The gun had been cleaned and oiled and once I showed him that the chamber and magazines were empty I handed the gun to him. He held the gun for no more than five seconds without even dry mounting it before declaring that he would buy it.

He handed me the cash and his license and I completed the formalities before taking photocopies of his license. I could see from his license that this was his second gun, the first having been bought from a major gun retailer in the South two days earlier. Then off he went on his four hour drive home having been with me for only a few minutes.

I met a bloke in the car park at a service station off the A1, having contacted him on here. He opened the boot of his car to show me the gun, I put it together, swung it around a couple of times, took it apart, put it back in his boot, paid him the cash and that was that. 🙂

I suppose that if you know what you want, and the gun turns out to be what you want, there's not a lot more to say really. I've also sold one in exactly the same manner, but this time the buyer swung it around while some kids played football in the background. Must admit both must have appeared decidedly dodgy.

I once contacted someone on here who offered an air rifle for sale, but when I contacted him he flatly refused to meet up roughly halfway between our two homes. I couldn't really see the difference ( from a security aspect ) between meeting at his house or somewhere in between, but that's how he wanted it, so there was no sale. 

I hope you're putting the proceeds of the sale towards something noisy! 🙂

Did something similar with night vision. Didn’t realise how naive I was until I met a bloke in a rural lane near llandegla and followed him to a remote farm to test the night vision. Potentially with a large wad of cash in my pocket! Luckily it turned out ok, but it scares me every time I think back on it as to what could’ve happened! 

I've met up twice at the very same service station for two diferent guns from two seperate sellers

It was convenient for both parties This was done late morning and all these premises are covered by security cameras

No problems with both purchases All relevant sgc and filled in no problem

The latter purchase was from  an retired  police officer

But be very wary of meeting up some dark night in a layby on some obscure c road

In the past i've had guns advertised and had someone contact me from abroard saying they're on duty in the forces and will buy the gun plus the carriage and would send such courier to collect the gun If i would pay the courier direct 

All Bull muck I just reply that a current SGC has to be supplied and that's the last i hear from them

As long as all obligations are met from both parties then that is all one can do

But if in any doubt contact your local firearms police division for advise

Edited by sabel25
addad more info

I shouldn’t worry JDog, I have bought and sold several firearms (TBF mostly shotguns) like this and some folks love a good chat and coffee and others don’t. Personally I feel more comfortable knowing the person i am selling to knows what they are doing, and on one occasion meeting in services on the M42 I presented the gun broken down in its case, the buyer put it together quicker than I could flipped it over looked in the case and said YUP. Was gone 5 mins later. ‘‘Tis just how some folks are! 

Edited by The Burpster
Typo

34 minutes ago, serrac said:

Love the prosecution assessment that an air rifle can’t fire more than 50 metres! Must be those range limited pellets that kill the engine after 49 metres!

9 hours ago, The Mighty Prawn said:

Love the prosecution assessment that an air rifle can’t fire more than 50 metres! Must be those range limited pellets that kill the engine after 49 metres!

I’ll probably get shot down for this but I find it actually refreshing that the media is, albeit in slightly incorrect terminology, stating a realistic effective lethal range for the firearm concerned, rather than making out it could kill someone on the moon.