Non payment of overtime hours

foxnet22

I would like to ask the knowledgeable members there advise on the following .I received my payslip from work last week and noticed my overtime was not paid .I confronted the manager about this and after checking my time sheet it was noticed that someone altered  my overtime from 10 shifts to 10 hours .this could only have been done by office staff.resulting in a loss of £500.the mangers assured  me the problem  would be rectified immediately. It is now Christmas eve and I sill have not received any payment. I would like to know where I stand on this matter and could I take some legal action .basically wanting some ammunition so to speak for when I return to work and take this further. I'm assuming this could be classed as fraud would I be correct ?

We had this issue at work some time ago . For management to alter your time sheet ,they needed advanced written permission . I can only assume that this is the same for all companies.  My overtime sheet got conveniently lost several times, I now get a photocopy before I hand it in.

Last time I worked for someone I kept my own diary of hours worked and made sure the owners son who did the wages knew it. 

Hopefully your money should be sorted as soon as the office staff are back. 

A nice email requesting clarification sat waiting for their return my be worthwhile. 

If you are payed by BACS PAYE system  you can request a CHAPS payment which is a same day payment. My employer does not like doing them as it costs them on average £30 to make the payment. I work for the NHS and over the years have had lots of payment discrepancies of underpayment and always the response has been we will sort in in next months pay. I have always informed them that I will be financially disadvantaged and informed them that they are compelled to make the payment sooner, this has always had the desired effect.

The current trust I work for owes 100's of staff myself included over 12 months of a particular WTD payment but has put the payment on hold as it needs to make a financial saving of into the millions. I note in the trusts public domain accounts review of the last financial year it has paid  95% of it's senior management all their bonuses. Union doing nothing and the trust says it will review it's financial position next year. It is a watch this space at present with the wheels of turning very slowly.

It does appear to be a input error.

Hope you get sorted!

atb

7diaw

57 minutes ago, ph5172 said:

10 shifts and 10 hours probably an input error. 

Not ideal if you were banking on the cash to clear Christmas. I should imagine it will be sorted in the new year 

I should imagine if you are desperate they could give you some form of advance 

When I phoned my boss and he got my original  copy of time sheet he read from the time sheet and clearly stated it said 10 hours .funny thing is I wrote it out stating 10 shifts and my mate can confirm  this .someone as altered the time sheet without my knowing. 

Sorry that you are having problems, I worked for a big company for a few years and I'm sure they would cock up our wages on purpose in the hope that if they managed to confuses everyone enough they would get away with not paying us all that they should have. We found telling the boss to go F him self and then telling his boss to join in got things sorted, but having to do it every month got a bit boring!

I wouldn't sagest that this is the best plan but it worked for us.

I now work for a small company and they are the best people anyone could ever wish to work for!

Fraud? Bit strong. 

Sounds more like an administrative error. 

Have you actually seen your timesheet? If not again it’s a bit strong to start stating someone has changed it. 

Whatever it is, do you really want to be the employee who goes in making threats and raving at people? 

Cant you just go in and have a grown up conversation with someone? Maybe someone has changed your timesheet... but it won’t help having a go at a bunch of people who haven’t done anything wrong and are just trying to sort it out. 

1 hour ago, bluesj said:

Sorry that you are having problems, I worked for a big company for a few years and I'm sure they would cock up our wages on purpose in the hope that if they managed to confuses everyone enough they would get away with not paying us all that they should have. We found telling the boss to go F him self and then telling his boss to join in got things sorted, but having to do it every month got a bit boring!

I wouldn't sagest that this is the best plan but it worked for us.

I now work for a small company and they are the best people anyone could ever wish to work for!

Sounds very odd... as you did I would just go and work somewhere else. 

Did they really think that was acceptable? I can only guess that they were just incompetent?! 

15 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Did they really think that was acceptable? I can only guess that they were just incompetent?! 

Some people make mistakes, some are incompetent, i worked at one place where you got paid your overtime a month in lieu, you really had to keep an eye on what you were working, between time and a third, half and double plus shift allowances it could get complicated really quick. There was always a queue on pay day to sort out mistakes.

Probably an innocent cock up. 

When doing work on timesheets I always take a photo now before submitting, and always check what is paid against my records, I have never yet worked somewhere that always got it right. Many of my colleagues just accept what must be regular underpayment so I can see why places try it on.

Assuming you have records of what you worked this should all work out but I rarely get these things settled in under three months. 

You could issue a notice before action which I think gets you base rate plus eight percent from then to payment but if you want to keep working for those people or get a reference it may be ill advised. 

3 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

I think they just thought it was good business to use people. found out afterwards that our boss was up for a bonus if he got the part of the contract we were on in under budget so he had us doing all the overtime we could (that always got under payed or not payed at all) to get a 3 year contract do in just over 2 years. once we had done all the work for him he dropped us like a hot potato and decided it wasn't his problem to find us work to do, so we sat around doing next to nothing and then got made redundant!

I'm now on a salary but will often find extra in my pay packet if the boss thinks I've put my self out by starting early or finishing late, he brings us a beer over when its hot and tells us to ****** off home if there isn't much on

1 hour ago, Dougy said:

Go into work when next on shift and wack the boss with a decent length of 3x2. That should get you sorted for a bit of OT payment. 

I retract everything I said earlier. 

On reflection I think this is guaranteed to produce results! 

Also please come back on here after and post about it 👍🏻😂

Take a pic of your signed timesheet and keep it in Your phone.

As for management not being allowed to alter your hours, be careful as it depends on your companies policy.

I have had similar in the past  I was self employed and was undertaking sub contract work. The company I subbed to said the job was priced until five last working day before Christmas. The job went south as soon as it started as they didn't know what they would find untill the hole was dug and services exposed.

my mate and myself ended up working till late at night so a couple of thousand sqaudies didn't go without heating and hot water over Christmas. 

Company accounts oy paid us till five pm, we got the rest in the new year. They make mistakes and it will get sorted.

Enjoy your Christmas and it'll sort itself in the new year.

Edited by figgy

23 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Fraud? Bit strong. 

Sounds more like an administrative error. 

Have you actually seen your timesheet? If not again it’s a bit strong to start stating someone has changed it. 

Whatever it is, do you really want to be the employee who goes in making threats and raving at people? 

Cant you just go in and have a grown up conversation with someone? Maybe someone has changed your timesheet... but it won’t help having a go at a bunch of people who haven’t done anything wrong and are just trying to sort it out. 

And what do I do if it is proved someone did deliberately change it .and yes I would be that employee after all I done my bit by giving up a week of my time to do them a favour as no one else would. This is not the first time this as happened with this company hence why they struggle to get people to do emergency call outs .all I wanted was my pay and as soon as I get I'm on my way.this won't happen  again with me .but would like to confront  managenent with a bit know how about the matter. Thanks for all replies chaps.