Smart home

eddoakley

Just being shown Xmas presents that people have had and have seen the Amazon echo (echo, echo, echo....) which started me thinking that the house that I am currently working on and looking to move into soon (been saying that foe 18 months!) could or should be a smart home.

There are no electrics at a all at the moment and we are just about to start the install, I have no idea what we can put in to aid with smart devices and lighting etc.

Who can offer advice?

Thanks

Edd

As said cat 6 to every room tapped Back to a single location. 

I would also run decent quality cable for tv / satellite. 

From own what I read most smart stuff runs on wireless

oh and get deep switch boxes installed as a lot of the led dimmers won’t fit inside a standard box

Edited by ph5172

Recently built a house for an "it manager" who worked his way up.....what did he do....nouwt.... said no point as everything is going to be wireless so why waste the money....only cat 6 for tv and even this will be obselete soon sky is currently altering tech to suit so as all homes can stream/watch all channels not just new builds..... 

And lets face it when it goes wrong it aint much good.....its just more to go wrong in time.....

I had over 3 months with no home broadband due to a fault at the green box on the side of the road. The fault was intermittent, but caused over 2000 drop outs daily!! You don’t realise how much you rely on the web until you haven’t got it. We aren’t big tech users, but use Sonos speakers throughout the house, ie in the nursery for lullabies and white noise, bedside radio and alarm clock. We struggled just without that for 3 months. Imagine not being able to turn lights on, set heating, and all the other stuff that can be done. 

I also worry about the ability to be hacked, but maybe it’s just time for a tin hat!!

22 hours ago, Medic1281 said:

Don’t bother. If your internet goes down for any reason you’re knackered! 

16 hours ago, Medic1281 said:

I had over 3 months with no home broadband due to a fault at the green box on the side of the road. The fault was intermittent, but caused over 2000 drop outs daily!! You don’t realise how much you rely on the web until you haven’t got it. We aren’t big tech users, but use Sonos speakers throughout the house, ie in the nursery for lullabies and white noise, bedside radio and alarm clock. We struggled just without that for 3 months. Imagine not being able to turn lights on, set heating, and all the other stuff that can be done. 

I also worry about the ability to be hacked, but maybe it’s just time for a tin hat!!

Can you not operate everything manually as well as having "alexa" or similar?

I use android boxes for each tv so all of that is wireless.

Is it just a case of buying suitable lamps and plug adaptors to connect to whichever device I (for " I" read "mrs Edd") decide on?

If that's the case any reccomendations?

Edd

Most things are WiFi - but what you need to consider is how to get good WiFi coverage everywhere in the house.  Systems like this

https://www.shop.bt.com/learnmore/bt-branded-products-and-services/bt-whole-home-wi-fi/

are very good because devices move seamlessly between different WiFi access points are you move about.  One key thing to 'look out for' is that WiFi coverage is badly hampered by thick walls, foil clad insulation, metal surfaces etc.  If you want a proper "Smart Home", the Wi Fi connectivity must be very good and reliable.  That is what I would concentrate on.

Plan where your hubs and any hard wired connections need to be carefully.

I have a relative with a 'Smart" weekend home ........ and they can turn on/adjust the heating, check the alarm system etc.  Their comments though are that to keep up to date, they will have to upgrade fairly regularly - and overall, it is a convenience exercise, not a money saving exercise.  The 'good' smart equipment is expensive ......... the cheap stuff can be very poor.

My relatives don't do Alexa etc., as they are more interested in 'remote control' than voice control.

It's not a big place so not too bothered about extra cost of good equipment.

If it was an upgrade it's a big cost but I have to put something in anyway so it's just the difference between "basic" and "smart"- if that makes sense?

I have an I.T. and telecoms guy that does work for me so as soon as we are back in work (tomorrow for me but next week for him) I will be getting him in to advise on the best options for reliable and consistent Wi-Fi and what use, if any, running cat6 would be.

I'm thinking of lights, heating, appliances and security (alarms, cameras and possibly gates).

Voice controlled and remote via app/phone/whatever.

I Will keep looking.

Edd

On 25/12/2018 at 18:04, Lord Geordie said:

Decent hifi, ditch the TV and dim the lights. 

Totally agree. My wife was given an Amazon Echo for Christmas and can't say I'm impressed. The sound quality is on a par with a battery radio. She was told about the benefits of getting free streamed music - no so free when you need an Amazon prime account or premium Spotify.

Technology for the sake of technology - perhaps I'm just too old.

After helping fit some USB and smart sockets today I would say have deep rear boxes installed on all switches and sockets. 

We had 4 today that were standard 25mm set into blocks and no way were the switches and cable going in. 

They got fitted into stud walls where we could swap the boxes easily with ones (luckily) that were due to be fitted to an extension. 

Fit cat 7 to every room. I installed cat6 to every where we have a TV as cat 7 wasn't available. Cat7 has all sheilded pairs for less crosstalk.

Our son has all his TV music computer light bulbs etc controlled via his Alexa.

Not my thing, everything you do monitored.

13 hours ago, Jaymo said:

Far better to place a cable and not use it rather than retro fit if you do wish to use them 

This!!

My parents hung a tv onto a wall and didn't put anything other than power and an ariel socket to it..  Now to watch a dvd it's a cable hanging out of it and wifi for streaming only, and it's a pain in the rear... Put all options in even if you wont use, because ine day you'll kick yourself guaranteed.