Christmas Goose

Lloyd90

12 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Lloyd

Baste the bird and save the fat, you can use it for ages to cook lovely roast spuds!:good:

That's the plan I've saved a big jar from some pasta sauce, but not sure it's big enough. 

Just not sure if should remove the fat as you go or leave it in there until done? 

It's got about 30 mins left and I've got between 1-2" of fat in the tray :) Heard its good on spuds :) 

Cover the bird with foil. 180 for hour and a half in a fan assisted oven.  Drain the fat  (keep it for later). Use some to baste. Repeat. 

After about 2.5 or 3 hours depending on how big the bird is take the  foil  off to crisp. (Based on 4kg bird and a fuzzy memory. 

Do not over cook or all the basting in the world won't save it. 

Use a jam jar to store the fat as it's great with roast potatoes. 

3 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Have you been drinking?

Save it for cold cuts and sandwiches with some nice chutney.:good:

No my fingers are just greasy! Shocked how much fat came off that bird. 

I hope you've had a nice Christmas with family and friends btw :) I am shooting sporting clays on the 27th, trying to decide whether to shoot the 12 b or new 20 b and what chokes to use for either... nice problems to have :) 

Think you should have asked this a few days ago 😂😂 best get googling how to cook it before its goose is cooked

I put that earlier but mustn't have submitted? Glad it was nice, went with turkey kids might not have liked the goose.

WP_20181225_15_34_24_Pro.jpg.410addc0750830526ee0534555951676.jpg

An Aldi bird, very nice, get carving and freezing for another day.

I always cook the goose on a rack in the pan so that the fat drains away from the bird. Whilst the bird is resting after cooking, the fat separates from the brown tasty stuff, so the bulk of the fat is poured into a jar and the tasty residue, when thickened with a little flour and simmered with a good slug of port on the top of the stove makes cracking gravy.

You can also take off some of the fat partway through the cooking to roast your parboiled potatoes in.

Edited by amateur

We used to keep the fat in a jar when i had a cold my missis used to rub my cheast with it the cold had gone next day.

Its a very old cure for colds there was somethink else what we used it for but cant remember somebody will be along in a minute to tell me what it was thinking now ig might be we rubbed it on my joints

We had a Code Red in the kitchen yesterday, Turkey crown from Icelands was a tad ripe when she unwrapped it. It stunk the house out. sending her into a meltdown the outcome was it was my fault. Luckily my brother works for a large pub chain and we managed to wrangle plenty of ready sliced turkey even enough for the obligatory turkey sarnies.

Still my fault even this morning.

I've only had goose once for Christmas dinner and about an hour later I was on the toilet for the rest of the day and into the night with my world pouring out of me. 

Rest of the family was fine.