Bad handling of guns on television

Shadowchaser

I caught the opening of a repeat episode of Doc Martin earlier today and was bewildered as to the handling of a shotgun in the opening minutes.

Doc's Aunt Joan had called him over to look at her ankle. A friend(?) of hers some retired Colonel walked in with a closed side by side and waved it around (probably for comic effect). The Doc asked if it was loaded to which the reply was no and the man propped it up still closed next to the table. Later the Doc grabs his bag and knocks the gun over, shooting Joan in the leg. He then takes the gun still closed back to the surgery. 

I didn't mind scenes like this before I started shooting but now they do annoy me. The script writers could've easily had a bit thrown in which someone tells the man to break the gun and not lean it up. I'm sure things like this seen by millions of people give shooting and firearms a hard time. 

Have you seen any examples of bad gun handling on tele? 

Edited by Shadowchaser

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not defending such a stupid and improbable story line but I've come across a few game shooters with atrocious gun discipline, some which I've seen at close range, including at clay shoots. And I know of a couple of accidents on game shoots, fortunately minor ones that only damaged clothing, that were never spoken of to anyone outside of those present until much later. My guess is accidental discharges happen fairly often on game shoots and it's just a matter of time before something really bad happens.

1 minute ago, tonker said:

I think you're all taking a made for tv comedy series waaaay to seriously, You'll be telling me Die hard or Mission impossible was true life next lol. 

If Bruce has taken more care he wouldn’t have shot any of those terrorists! 

Negligent discharge of that MP5 🙄

59 minutes ago, Westward said:

My guess is accidental discharges happen fairly often on game shoots and it's just a matter of time before something really bad happens.

I have been on game shoots for over 40 years.  Accidental discharges are very rare.  I have never personally encountered one, but have heard of very occasional ones.  I have however encountered some bad 'intentional' discharges - which may be what you mean. 

On the other hand, I have encountered at several on clays shoots ......... none of which fortunately caused anything greater than embarrassment. 

1 hour ago, Westward said:

I'm not defending such a stupid and improbable story line but I've come across a few game shooters with atrocious gun discipline, some which I've seen at close range, including at clay shoots. And I know of a couple of accidents on game shoots, fortunately minor ones that only damaged clothing, that were never spoken of to anyone outside of those present until much later. My guess is accidental discharges happen fairly often on game shoots and it's just a matter of time before something really bad happens.

I've been racking my brain trying to think of one I'd witnessed or even heard of locally, but I can only think of one, of the latter category, and that was a fatality.  I'm assuming it IS only a guess that they 'happen fairly often on game shoots' as I've never seen one in all the years I've been shooting, nor the shoots I've been on, and I've been on quite a few, both clay and game.

I've no doubt it does happen, but I'm also in no doubt as to the excellent safety record shooting sports or disciplines have when in comparison to others. I know of many more accidents involving horses and riders locally however, all of which involved hospital treatment. 

20 hours ago, Shadowchaser said:

I caught the opening of a repeat episode of Doc Martin earlier today and was bewildered as to the handling of a shotgun in the opening minutes.

Doc's Aunt Joan had called him over to look at her ankle. A friend(?) of hers some retired Colonel walked in with a closed side by side and waved it around (probably for comic effect). The Doc asked if it was loaded to which the reply was no and the man propped it up still closed next to the table. Later the Doc grabs his bag and knocks the gun over, shooting Joan in the leg. He then takes the gun still closed back to the surgery. 

I didn't mind scenes like this before I started shooting but now they do annoy me. The script writers could've easily had a bit thrown in which someone tells the man to break the gun and not lean it up. I'm sure things like this seen by millions of people give shooting and firearms a hard time. 

Have you seen any examples of bad gun handling on tele? 

That's tv for you! I found the lack of attention to detail more annoying as the gun in question looked like either a 20 or 28 gauge and the colonel was carrying a box of .410 cartridges that he placed on the kitchen table.

But I've got over it now..

3 hours ago, Scully said:

I've been racking my brain trying to think of one I'd witnessed or even heard of locally, but I can only think of one, of the latter category, and that was a fatality.  I'm assuming it IS only a guess that they 'happen fairly often on game shoots' as I've never seen one in all the years I've been shooting, nor the shoots I've been on, and I've been on quite a few, both clay and game.

I've no doubt it does happen, but I'm also in no doubt as to the excellent safety record shooting sports or disciplines have when in comparison to others. I know of many more accidents involving horses and riders locally however, all of which involved hospital treatment. 

Rather than negligent discharges, probably the more common issue is guns shooting too low as someone has said. 

I have only ever heard of someone being hit but never seen it. 

Apparently the beater is currently sueing the gun as the shot was very low and blatantly unsafe. 

1 hour ago, decoy1979 said:

That's tv for you! I found the lack of attention to detail more annoying as the gun in question looked like either a 20 or 28 gauge and the colonel was carrying a box of .410 cartridges that he placed on the kitchen table.

But I've got over it now..

I didn't notice the .410 shells, oh well. Of course I actually enjoy Doc Martin and know that it's made for tv fluff, but even so I like things to have a basis in logic. Surely they can employ people who can check on these things. It's like the whole Routemaster bus thing in Foyles War. 

Don’t get me started on the courts -

A High Court Judge wearing a civil robe in the Old Bailey? (Sherlock)

A High Court Judge being referred to as “your honour” by Counsel? (IT Crowd)

And that’s just the stuff we choose on Netflix - Gawd knows what I’d be like if we ever reinstated the TV :lol:

Another vote for the “off” switch, lads!

LS